Player Discussion Oliver Kylington

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
The Flames tend prefer having 8 Defensemen on the roster.

Weegar - Andersson
Bahl - Kylington
Solovyov/Bean - Miromanov
Pachal

And of course guys like Kylington & Grushnikov may be recalled when there are injuries.
Historically, sure. But my gut is telling me it makes more sense for a 14/7/2 this year. Without doing the math, Rooney probably has to stick around for cap floor reasons, but he’s probably not the 13th best F. I think that’s Hunt, and Huska also seems to be high on him. My best guess as things stand:

Kuzmenko - Kadri - Coronato
Coleman - Backlund - Sharangovich
Huberdeau - Zary - Mantha
Pelletier - Pospisil - Lomberg
Hunt, Rooney

Weegar - Miromanov
Bahl - Andersson
Bean - Solovyov
Pachal

Wolf
Vladar

But I could see a world where it’s 13/8/2. I guess as well.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

They went hard on him and can honestly see where they are coming from.

Man did this feel good story take a 180.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
It's actually sad to see how much of a beating this team has taken from homegrown players that they drafted, developed, and gave a chance to succeed in the NHL. Can't see any other way this team could've protected Oliver better. It's his right, like it was Johnny's and Chucky's right, to seek the best for their life but to see this trend of homegrown players turn against their team is pretty sad.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's actually sad to see how much of a beating this team has taken from homegrown players that they drafted, developed, and gave a chance to succeed in the NHL. Can't see any other way this team could've protected Oliver better. It's his right, like it was Johnny's and Chucky's right, to seek the best for their life but to see this trend of homegrown players turn against their team is pretty sad.

It sucks.
It sucks how this played out.

From really a feel-good story to once again a very Flames-y story.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Seems more like our owner is being petty.

The guy wanted to see what he was worth in FA? So what? It’s not like he was kept in the minors for way too long anyway. Remember when we traded for Fantenburg to push him out of the lineup?

Sign the man. And stop the verbal abuse online, it’s obnoxious and just a sign of how fake everyone is about mental health.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Kylington wanted to sign longterm to stay in Calgary. Conroy was only offering a short term deal.

Idiots: Kylington is so ungrateful.

This is ridiculous. At this point, it's probably better for Kylington to go to a less neanderthalic fanbase

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The fact that no other team has given him a longterm deal suggests his ask was too much
He made a mistake, pure & simple. His best chance to play big minutes and show the league what kind of player he can be was with us.
Still a chance he signs with Utah or SJ, I think they still need Dmen

Reactions: Master Bill

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Kylington wanted to sign longterm to stay in Calgary. Conroy was only offering a short term deal.

This is ridiculous. At this point, it's probably better for Kylington to go to a less neanderthalic fanbase
I have all the support for Kylington and his mental health issues, but that is just Conroy being realistic and smart with the current situation.

Kylington missed the majority of the last two seasons and the team just cannot risk signing him to a long-term deal with a probability that the mental health issues re-occur. Unfortunately these things can happen with people who experience mental health issues and there's nothing wrong with that, and the team will probably support him as well as they previously have. But no team is going to take that risk and potentially pay out his long term deal while he could go on leave again.

That's why he should've signed the short term deal to prove that he deserves the long term deal afterwards. It's just bad advice being given to him by his agent.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Sean Monahan signed a 1-year, sub-2m contract as a Hab after years of injury trouble and then another team-friendly deal when he had another abbreviated season. All it took was one season as a Hab/Jet of good health and he got a very generous retirement deal from the Jackets.

That’s the name of the game. I’m not sure why Kylington’s camp ever thought a 3-year deal would be offered

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Seems more like our owner is being petty.

The guy wanted to see what he was worth in FA? So what? It’s not like he was kept in the minors for way too long anyway. Remember when we traded for Fantenburg to push him out of the lineup?

Sign the man. And stop the verbal abuse online, it’s obnoxious and just a sign of how fake everyone is about mental health.

Hilarious. OK was paid $4mil not to do his job for 18 months. Four freakin million. The Flames could have suspended him, but didnt. What a victim.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hilarious. OK was paid $4mil not to do his job for 18 months. Four freakin million. The Flames could have suspended him, but didnt. What a victim.
Murray Edwards is worth 3.3 billion, the Flames organizational value will likely go up another 500+ million dollars, mostly on the backs of tax payers, when the new barn goes up. The Flames are also basically at the cap floor this year. I think he’ll be fine. Why do so many people side with the elites? It’s crazy.

I’m not saying he’s a victim but he was in the minors for 2 seasons too long. The Flames used their contractual leverage when they had it, why should OK not get to use that same leverage? Also I’ve heard what OK went through, and it was extremely traumatic.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Murray Edwards is worth 3.3 billion, the Flames organizational value will likely go up another 500+ million dollars, mostly on the backs of tax payers, when the new barn goes up. The Flames are also basically at the cap floor this year. I think he’ll be fine. Why do so many people side with the elites? It’s crazy.

I’m not saying he’s a victim but he was in the minors for 2 seasons too long. The Flames used their contractual leverage when they had it, why should OK not get to use that same leverage? Also I’ve heard what OK went through, and it was extremely traumatic.

I'd say someone pocketing $4 mil while healing from whatever trauma he was/is suffering from (I dont want to speculate but hard to imagine it was worse than what for example Pastrnak went through) is part of the privileged elite.

OK is a UFA and its his right to demand whatever he wants. Its also our right to criticize his choices. Barn burner boys were spot on.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

Kylington either had/has no leverage, or has overplayed the little amount he had. Sitting around waiting for a contract when similar level players have signed for reasonable term and money kind of implies he didn’t have much, if any leverage and has less now. And his representation should have realized this.

I have zero leverage in job interviews if I ask for millions of more dollars than I’m worth, because they know that nobody is going to give that to me.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Kylington hasn’t done anything to earn a long term deal is the reality, and it’s the same reason no other team is going to give him one.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Kylington overplayed his hand, maybe on his agents advice, either way he screwed up. He though someone would offer him something with term, no team bit on that. If I was Conroy Id probably drop the offer by 500k a year if/when he comes calling.

There's no reason to give him anything above 1 year at league minimum at this point. I just think Conroy is too nice to do that.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
There's no reason to give him anything above 1 year at league minimum at this point. I just think Conroy is too nice to do that.
Im just throwing random numbers out, but if the offer was something like 2x2.5, which would of been been more than reasonable, I would be saying the offer is now 2x2. Kylington holds no cards now. I wouldnt bend him over the tabl, but I would be very firm saying this is the offer take it or leave it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Obviously Kylington thinks he's worth more than what Conroy offered him so even if he circles back and accepts the offer I'm sure he'll still feel he's being underpaid and getting the short end of the stick. Do the Flames really want a player under those circumstances? IMO its better to take the offer off the table and everyone move on with life. Its not like 27 year old Kylington is going to help the Flames win a Cup in the next few years. Honestly, he really won't be missed.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Obviously Kylington thinks he's worth more than what Conroy offered him so even if he circles back and accepts the offer I'm sure he'll still feel he's being underpaid and getting the short end of the stick. Do the Flames really want a player under those circumstances? IMO its better to take the offer off the table and everyone move on with life. Its not like 27 year old Kylington is going to help the Flames win a Cup in the next few years. Honestly, he really won't be missed.
Doesnt matter if the Flames have the best offer on the table.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Im just throwing random numbers out, but if the offer was something like 2x2.5, which would of been been more than reasonable, I would be saying the offer is now 2x2. Kylington holds no cards now. I wouldnt bend him over the tabl, but I would be very firm saying this is the offer take it or leave it.

I understand, but at this point I personally see almost no reason to even give him that. He left for a year and a half and still got paid. He came back and played 33 games then wants to hold out for a multi year deal when its been almost a decade since he was drafted and he still hasn't found a permanent role. He's lucky to even be getting an offer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Doesnt matter if the Flames have the best offer on the table.
Not to mention these guys for the most part are professionals and don't react as emotionally as fans. Look at Michael Stone as a prime example, got bought out, then re-signed towards the end of the summer because there weren't other offers and he remained loyal and not works for the organization post-playing career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad