Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes, and we will have more coming in on ELC too! We should have a cap advantage for a long time and this rebuild is looking more and more better as each year passes.

When you look at the Oilers and Leafs rebuild, they were both lacking pieces coming in after on ELC and they were forced to try to make improvements through UFA signings and trades. Too many holes to fill and created cap hell.
It's something we not use to after so many years of big contracts in bottom 6. The Armia, Dvorak, Anderson, Gallagher types.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
With the plethora or even wealth of forward prospects we seem to be blessed with, one forward, Davidson seems to being overlooked to a degree. I followed Davidson in the WHL and always came away with the impression that he had pro potential. Davidson has just enough skating, size and skill to be an effective at the NHL level. At Laval last year and early in this preseason, Davidson has shown, at least to this writer, he can play a pro level game. He reminds me a bit of a combination of Mike Keane and Dave Balon: tenacity, good motor and surprising skill level.

I think after this preseason, Hughes and MSL will have Davidson much higher on the team’s depth charts than many here would have predicted. This kid is no mere filler as he stands a good chance of making the team (or some other NHL team) at some time in the near future.
Davidson surpassed Hellman's mayonaise on the depth chart for sure.

Good players on bad teams can have negative stats , it's not unusual and it doesn't mean that said player isn't useful in a bottom six role and has no value . I'm sure that if/when Dvorak is moved , then Hughes will get an equal return for him .

An example is Daddy in Dallas

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Also keep in mind that we might lose Newhook or Roy to expansion in a few years

CBA expires in two years (sept 15th 2026), so they have to make those two expansions before it ends, because players want to change the HRR rules to include the expansion fees.

Because of this, I'm thinking both teams will be added at the same time next season.

• Wow
Reactions: TesseractPrice

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I've seen enough this pre-season so far to say we should unload at the deadline. Armia and Dvorak should be gone and I'd even trade Evans. Get the best picks you can for those guys and free some space in the lineup for next season.

I know some guys will say but .... but ... what if we're close to a playoffs spot. I'd answer to that if we miss the playoffs because we traded Armia, Dvorak and Evans at the TDL then we were not good enough to begin with.

Since the beginning of the camp i've seen at least 4-5 kids who could eventually replace those guys in the next 2 years. Even Heineman looked better than Dvo yesterday imo. Davidson looks like a legit bottom 6 guys in the making.

Getting rid of Armia is a risk with Laine. If they want to keep him happy, they might re-sign Armia for cheap.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Not talking about half a season, but 6 months. Timra might not make it far in the PO, so your organization probably could use him at the start of April. Might be better off for sure contract wise to wait until next season. But why shelter him from getting lots of ice time and PP, when there's no need yet to put him on limited 10-12mins per game or probably even less playing 4th line aa the season continues.
We seen how you handle finniish prospects.
Jasperi was on his way to break the Habs rookie record until he got demoted to bottom lines and lost his self confidence for good.

Let’s see but could slot in a 3rd line center. That’s the spot he’s fighting for.

There's not a litany of these guys out there when you need depth to get through the attrition of the playoffs.

I hate Dvorak and the trade, it was horrendous.. but the guy has value in the NHL. Just nothing close to what Bergevin paid for him because he let the Canes pants him.
Without retention I think he has no value. 4th round pick maybe. I’m not sure it improves at the TDL.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Let’s see but could slot in a 3rd line center. That’s the spot he’s fighting for.

Without retention I think he has no value. 4th round pick maybe. I’m not sure it improves at the TDL.
Agree on both, if Kapanen plays like he did last game, he will fight for 3C.

Roslovic was traded at TDL, 50% retained for 4th round pick. I guess Dvorak is in that range.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agree on both, if Kapanen plays like he did last game, he will fight for 3C.

Roslovic was traded at TDL, 50% retained for 4th round pick. I guess Dvorak is in that range.

It will depend on supply/demand. If there is a shortage of centers available, it's much better than the 4th. If there are lots of centers available, it's probably a 4th or worse. How Dvorak performs this season will also be a big factor. Too many unknowns from now till TDL.

If Kapanen earns a spot and Dvorak is meh, we can put him a waivers to the AHL like we did with Armia last year.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and how our roster looks in November.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Adam Henrique went for a 1st round pick.. the Habs will unquestionably get a mid range draft pick for a competent NHL center with no term who can PK, win faceoffs and make some plays offensively.

Just because you don't like the player and what we paid to acquire him, doesn't mean that he doesn't do things that are valuable to NHL clubs especially at the center ice position where playoff teams are always looking for more depth.

Moving him at the deadline is far easier, yes, but they can still move him to a bunch of teams that could use the NHL experience and then flip him at the deadline for a higher pick than what they traded to get him.

He's not going on waivers and we do not have to pay to trade him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Adam Henrique went for a 1st round pick.. the Habs will unquestionably get a mid range draft pick for a competent NHL center with no term who can PK, win faceoffs and make some plays offensively.

Just because you don't like the player and what we paid to acquire him, doesn't mean that he doesn't do things that are valuable to NHL clubs especially at the center ice position where playoff teams are always looking for more depth.

Moving him at the deadline is far easier, yes, but they can still move him to a bunch of teams that could use the NHL experience and then flip him at the deadline for a higher pick than what they traded to get him.

He's not going on waivers and we do not have to pay to trade him.

I'm not sure Dvo has value with no retention right now. I think the @Essenege was actually being generous saying he could get a 4th round pick without retention.

Teams really don't want to take on salary. Imo Dco will have to show something this year, including the ability to stay healthy, in order to get value back up to positive value without retention.

Furthermore, I don't think any contending team that hasn't had injury problems would see him as the answer as a top 9 center. So I still think the best chance for him to increase his trade value is if he can increase his production. And I think the best chance for him to increase his production is on the wong with good offensive players. But hopefully this Anderson-Roy duo brings production and Dvo rides their coattails. I'm liking so far the way Roy has been able to find a streaking Andy for some goals, as MSL predicted would happen when he put them together.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
That is what he said, 4th round pick. I guess the main problem is his cap. Tatar was real shit last year and got COL a 5th round pick, but he was on 1,5M salary. Not a lot of teams have 4,45M cap space and I bet some of them are on Dvorak 8-team no trade list which significantly reduces the demand.

Getting rid of Armia is a risk with Laine. If they want to keep him happy, they might re-sign Armia for cheap.
No worries, Laine will have Kapanen, Finnish duo.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Not talking about half a season, but 6 months. Timra might not make it far in the PO, so your organization probably could use him at the start of April. Might be better off for sure contract wise to wait until next season. But why shelter him from getting lots of ice time and PP, when there's no need yet to put him on limited 10-12mins per game or probably even less playing 4th line aa the season continues.
We seen how you handle finniish prospects.
Jasperi was on his way to break the Habs rookie record until he got demoted to bottom lines and lost his self confidence for good.
Agreed playing back home would be not be a bad thing but you lost me at the Bambi comparison and the alleged abuse lol.

Also he keeps repeating he wants to stay.

Reactions: nicehiss

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I doubt it would matter. It does apply to Mesar though. Unlikely Habs would trade him unless he is definitely not an NHL player and there is no room in Laval.
If the team is keeping players because they have friends on the team, then we need to remove those in charge.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If the team is keeping players because they have friends on the team, then we need to remove those in charge.
Only friends from European countries and only for the young players. And again only if they are at least good enough for Laval and not taking a spot needed for an NHL level player. Of course if someone is offering far more for the player (say Mesar) than he is worth all bets are off.

Reactions: Deebs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not sure Dvo has value with no retention right now. I think the @Essenege was actually being generous saying he could get a 4th round pick without retention.

Teams really don't want to take on salary. Imo Dco will have to show something this year, including the ability to stay healthy, in order to get value back up to positive value without retention.

Furthermore, I don't think any contending team that hasn't had injury problems would see him as the answer as a top 9 center. So I still think the best chance for him to increase his trade value is if he can increase his production. And I think the best chance for him to increase his production is on the wong with good offensive players. But hopefully this Anderson-Roy duo brings production and Dvo rides their coattails. I'm liking so far the way Roy has been able to find a streaking Andy for some goals, as MSL predicted would happen when he put them together.

That is what he said, 4th round pick. I guess the main problem is his cap. Tatar was real shit last year and got COL a 5th round pick, but he was on 1,5M salary. Not a lot of teams have 4,45M cap space and I bet some of them are on Dvorak 8-team no trade list which significantly reduces the demand.

No worries, Laine will have Kapanen, Finnish duo.

Ultimately its not going to matter. Kapanen and Beck are likely going where we expect them to go. Back to Sweden and to Laval.

The veterans are veterans and this is preseason. Maybe if they play deep into the preseason and do so well against full lineups the calculus changes, but we've seen the team err on the side of caution with development rather than rushing anything.

If anything I think they'll be planning for the eventuality of both being full time on the roster next season and not signing UFAs to take those roles.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Only Hage, Kapanen and probably Beck can be pencilled in futur lineups as of now, I think. If Kapanen ends up better than Beck maybe Beck won’t be here long term.
Dunno if you consider Roy as already graduated but Roy can be penciled in the future lienup too imo. Would be surprised if Demidov is not playing in the NHL eventually. I think it's very very likely at least one of the other guys make it we just don't know which one it will be.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Ah the good old media .....

For one the reason JK did not develop has nothing to do with him being in the NHL. His best season was arguably his 1st and he looked more than ready. In fact he looked more ready in his first season than Slaf did. Same for AG. Him slowing down at the end of that 1st season has probably more do do with him not being used to play 82 games. It did not work because the players had flaws (obviously they all have) and the management did not care about development. MB said him hinself in a press conference the players had to develop themselves. They simply did not bother.

For two while it's true it's too early in the camp to take decisions at one point merits has to matter. You can't make the NHL based on NHL regular season performance. At one point you have to take into account camp and AHL performance. It's also a myth that you can learn NHL speed while playing in the AHL. There will always be thwarts when a player first come into the league. And a NHL coaching staff must be able to work around that and help the player fix them.

The reason Dvorak, Evans and Pazetta will start in the NHL and Kapanen be sent back to Europe for one last season and Beck to the AHL has nothing to do with anything related to hockey or winning. KH is simply not trying to win a cup yet and he will try to maximize his assetys like he did with the goalies last year. There's no rush yet. But i sure do hope if we would be contending for a cup that the decisions would be different. Merits has to matter at on point. Can't have a Traverse in the NHL while Beauchemin rot in the AHL just because one is a vet and the other is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad