Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Let's keep in mind this was the Flyers C squad. Let's wait a little longer before sending off some vets to Siberia
Dunnmo they had two NHL dmen in Risto and Zamula. They had one of their best d prospect in Bonk. Attard is also a legit suspect he's a 3rd round pick who finsihed his university and did well in the AHL the last two seasons. They had a NHL goalie and one of their AHL goalie. Couturier and Foerster were dressed. Brink is a legit prospect. I'd say it was their B squad honestly. They were missing players but so were we Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Matheson, Demidov, ... were not dressed.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
With the plethora or even wealth of forward prospects we seem to be blessed with, one forward, Davidson seems to being overlooked to a degree. I followed Davidson in the WHL and always came away with the impression that he had pro potential. Davidson has just enough skating, size and skill to be an effective at the NHL level. At Laval last year and early in this preseason, Davidson has shown, at least to this writer, he can play a pro level game. He reminds me a bit of a combination of Mike Keane and Dave Balon: tenacity, good motor and surprising skill level.

I think after this preseason, Hughes and MSL will have Davidson much higher on the team’s depth charts than many here would have predicted. This kid is no mere filler as he stands a good chance of making the team (or some other NHL team) at some time in the near future.

I've seen enough this pre-season so far to say we should unload at the deadline. Armia and Dvorak should be gone and I'd even trade Evans. Get the best picks you can for those guys and free some space in the lineup for next season.

I know some guys will say but .... but ... what if we're close to a playoffs spot. I'd answer to that if we miss the playoffs because we traded Armia, Dvorak and Evans at the TDL then we were not good enough to begin with.

Since the beginning of the camp i've seen at least 4-5 kids who could eventually replace those guys in the next 2 years. Even Heineman looked better than Dvo yesterday imo. Davidson looks like a legit bottom 6 guys in the making.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
That Kapanen kid is so much more than I was expecting and it should make it difficult to not keep him, but a lot of vets around.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Either he pushes someone out and makes the Habs roster or he goes back to SHL and plays heavy minutes. These are good problems to have.
It's early and need to see how he does when the rosters are closer to game shape but in saying that,he did look like Montreal's best forward, With Evans and Dvorak on expiring contracts,they very possibly could be moved and if Kapenen is back in Sweden,can't bring him back.That would be the problem I have an issue with.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'd have to disagree here or we're just in better shape than they are.
We are in much better shape. Don't be fool by their season last year it's a terrible team. What we saw last year was simply a coach asking a bunch of grinders to give it all. Zamula and Risto will be in their top 6. There's a decent chance Attard is in their top 6 too. We were missing our entire first line and best dman.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I've seen enough this pre-season so far to say we should unload at the deadline. Armia and Dvorak should be gone and I'd even trade Evans. Get the best picks you can for those guys and free some space in the lineup for next season.

I know some guys will say but .... but ... what if we're close to a playoffs spot. I'd answer to that if we miss the playoffs because we traded Armia, Dvorak and Evans at the TDL then we were not good enough to begin with.

Since the beginning of the camp i've seen at least 4-5 kids who could eventually replace those guys in the next 2 years. Even Heineman looked better than Dvo yesterday imo. Davidson looks like a legit bottom 6 guys in the making.
It's always a balancing act. These kids need strong, experienced leadership to enhance their development. But it always comes down to value. If Hughes can secure a good return, then you move those assets.

The good news is that we have an intuitive general manager who has been successful in only a short, couple of years of transforming a wallowing, disorganized team into one that is rich in assets and on the cusp of being more than just competitive. The rest of the league is taking notice. You can feel the confidence that surrounds the team and its fans. Its remarkable what good leadership can do: In sport management and other lesser important venues, like politics.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's early and need to see how he does when the rosters are closer to game shape but in saying that,he did look like Montreal's best forward, With Evans and Dvorak on expiring contracts,they very possibly could be moved and if Kapenen is back in Sweden,can't bring him back.That would be the problem I have an issue with.

Yes, we will see how the does when the games get more competitive but I think some of us knew this kid has game and is on par with Beck (or better).

If he goes back to the SHL and comes to the NHL for 25/26, I'm personally OK with it. Starts his ELC a bit later and more mature ;).

Habs will battle for the playoffs but the long game is more important. I don't care about Evans, Dvorak, Anderson, Gallagher. They can stay and expire or we can trade them. If the circumstance fits and we can unload, sure, do it. I don't think we are in a desperate situation just yet

1st for Dvorak, it's day dreaming. We are lucky to get a 3rd/4th for him.

Depends on circumstance. Could be a 2nd and B prospect for all we know. It's too difficult to predict. Right now, teams are watching other teams with deep pools and thinking who they might be able to claim on waivers.

Today, nobody is giving good value for Dvorak. Fast forward to November+ or TDL, his value could get much worse or better. Time will tell and how he performs on a deeper roster this year is a huge factor.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's always a balancing act. These kids need strong, experienced leadership to enhance their development. But it always comes down to value. If Hughes can secure a good return, then you move those assets.

The good news is that we have an intuitive general manager who has been successful in only a short, couple of years of transforming a wallowing, disorganized team into one that is rich in assets and on the cusp of being more than just competitive. The rest of the league is taking notice. You can feel the confidence that surrounds the team and its fans. Its remarkable what good leadership can do: In sport management and other lesser important venues, like politics.
Suzuki is at the point of being a vet imo. Gallagher and Anderson will remain. I think one vet by line is enough. It's only a third of a season anyway, We can always sign one vet if need be next summer. We honestly kind of need to give Heineman a look this season. Roy too. 10ish games to Davidson to end the year would not hurt. We don'T want to be stuck in a position where we'll have to give them all a look at the same time in the next 2 years we want to do it in waves.

Reactions: Rapala

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Yes, we will see how the does when the games get more competitive but I think some of us knew this kid has game and is on par with Beck (or better).

If he goes back to the SHL and comes to the NHL for 25/26, I'm personally OK with it. Starts his ELC a bit later and more mature ;).

Habs will battle for the playoffs but the long game is more important. I don't care about Evans, Dvorak, Anderson, Gallagher. They can stay and expire or we can trade them. If the circumstance fits and we can unload, sure, do it. I don't think we are in a desperate situation just yet
I'm the type to always ice the best roster possible,but that doesn't fly in Montreal and many other NHL teams. Thanks for not saying ''in the mix'' though, some expressions are just plain nauseating and that is one of them,call it pet peeves.:nod:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm the type to always ice the best roster possible,but that doesn't fly in Montreal and many other NHL teams. Thanks for not saying ''in the mix'' though, some expressions are just plain nauseating and that is one of them,call it pet peeves.:nod:

I'll trust Gorton/Hughes/MSL on how they manage the clutter. Kapanen is playing well but lets see how that looks when the rosters become more NHL quality.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The best news for me is Beck and Kapanen bring completely different attributes to the table stylistically.
I was surprised how good Oliver was on the dot and killing penalties.
That they won't be competing for the same role is HUGE.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The best news for me is Beck and Kapanen bring completely different attributes to the table stylistically.
I was surprised how good Oliver was on the dot and killing penalties.
That they won't be competing for the same role is HUGE.
And at least at the WC Kapanen was an elite net front presence. Tipped in 5 or so goals, once after winning the faceoff and then going to the net.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
And at least at the WC Kapanen was an elite net front presence. Tipped in 5 or so goals, once after winning the faceoff and then going to the net.
He screams amazing 3C, maybe even 2C potentially. Strong faceoff guy, PK and he can even play PP2 in front of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad