Speculation: Another year of this Bluc **** (The 2024-25 season thread)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He is most likely there for "puck recovery" skills, which is fine. I don't know if he has the pure skills to be a top line winger, but plenty of players who aren't top-6 on paper have carved out excellent careers on that spot based on guile and effort. The fact that he is being given that chance is everything we have been asking for over the past few years.
I agree. I just wanted to provide context of (at least) my overall outlook on him.

I definitely think he's getting unnecessary angst for being on the top unit, like Iafallo used to.

I do hope that if he (or the powerplay) struggles, they can loop in another prospect to add dynamism to it. I just don't want the org to rely entirely on vets to bail them out.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Respectfully, I am a little confused wondering why one would complain about the kids not getting chances in one thread, and simultaneously complaining in this one about a kid actually getting an opportunity in an important spot.

Why are so many of you pigeon-holing Laferriere into a bottom 6 spot based off of his rookie season? This is a quality player who probably should have been in Ontario playing in PP and PK situations last year so he would be better prepared for those bigger moments in the big league.

The important thing here isn't results, it's progress. Laferriere and Byfield getting top situational play IS the very progress we need. Expecting results right away is what got them into this mess in the first place.
Is he really a kid though? He’s nearly 23. At 23 I was making Gretzky’s head bleed every shift in nhl 93.

• Haha
Reactions: King'sPawn

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I agree. I just wanted to provide context of (at least) my overall outlook on him.

I definitely think he's getting unnecessary angst for being on the top unit, like Iafallo used to.

I do hope that if he (or the powerplay) struggles, they can loop in another prospect to add dynamism to it. I just don't want the org to rely entirely on vets to bail them out.
At his best moments he reminded me of top line players that kind of hitch onto a star player and make a fruitful career. In the way a guy like Kunitz meshed with Crosby..
Not afraid to drop the gloves for protection, good enough puckhandling vision and speed, and the brain to process the game at a high level to be in the right place at the right time. And he always gives full effort.
Not sure the Kings top line is the fit for him with the current personnel but its worth a shot.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Respectfully, I am a little confused wondering why one would complain about the kids not getting chances in one thread, and simultaneously complaining in this one about a kid actually getting an opportunity in an important spot.

Why are so many of you pigeon-holing Laferriere into a bottom 6 spot based off of his rookie season? This is a quality player who probably should have been in Ontario playing in PP and PK situations last year so he would be better prepared for those bigger moments in the big league.

The important thing here isn't results, it's progress. Laferriere and Byfield getting top situational play IS the very progress we need. Expecting results right away is what got them into this mess in the first place.

I argued for the bold a lot of last year.

I think he does have a decent offensive skillset. But he's a strictly north-south player. I get he's just the bloodhound for Kopitar and Kempe so the 'fit' is there but he hasn't done nearly enough to be there, this is a roster construction failure.

Yeah I think it's totally fair to talk about the kids not getting chances when you put a guy who had literally the worst results of ANY Kings player--from an advanced AND counting stats standpoint--up next to Kopitar while you let Kaliyev, Thomas, and Turcotte fight for who gets to rot next to Trevor Lewis. Why does Laferriere get elevated to literally the cushiest possible situation while those guys get jammed in the worst? Laf didn't get results OR process, he got actively worse as the year went on. He never played such a large amount of games and minutes and it showed--and now we're giving him the hardest matchups and minutes.

And before anyone says it's the PLD effect, note he was even WORSE away from PLD

1727139690782.png

He's a checker who hasn't gotten scoring results and bleeds goals and chances against despite cushy Ozone deployment and soft matchups next to their pet project.

Again, it's the org mistaking guys who get actual results for guys who look like they're trying hard. The real problem isn't him getting a look there; it's that you know they won't be flexible if it doesn't work.

DO I think he has upside? Absolutely. I don't think it's productive to lump all the kids in together for sake of reducing the actual argument to something to find a 'gotcha' about. You don't see me begging to put Lee or Helenius in the lineup at all, for example. But this org is finding ways to absolutely waste any of its drafted young offensive talent and this is another example of how.

I'd love him to be successful there in the end--he's an easy kid to root for, has the right attitude, and it would solve a lot of roster problems--but I think it's fair to be annoyed that they're just finding ways to look right past the other youth. I'm not mad at Laf.

Reactions: johnjm22

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Was really intrigued by Cole Davis. Hope it's not the last we see of him.

I dunno man. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket but I don't feel like Helenius is a great fighter. I like that he's unapologetically aggressive, but he is going to get absolutely tooled by NHL heavies. He's also an absolute black hole offensively and not this huge defensive C everyone wants him to be. Theoretically he'd be an ideal 4C but I don't think he's as developed as it's being made out to be unless I'm missing some mammoth improvement in his game.

I think on a roster that will be as offensively starved as ours he stands to be a punching bag. I'm rooting for him, I'm just not seeing an effective NHLer quite yet. But there's no shame in that, he's 21.

Hell this was his headshot last season haha, gotta love that

View attachment 908965

With the money they spend on marketing, the could've at least done the kid a solid and photoshopped that up a bit. :D

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Byfield should be on PP1.. bumper. Byfield should be featured in OT. Byfield should be PK with Kempe in place of Kopi. Laferriere is just getting his spot because these morons traded away their breakout RH top 6 guy for f-ing loser. No way Laf should play over QB on PP1.. The dude is not a one timer threat, has bad passing instincts based on all evidence so far. What value does he bring to the PP? If LAK staff was the first humans aliens met - what they would tell their comrades?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Byfield should be on PP1.. bumper. Byfield should be featured in OT. Byfield should be PK with Kempe in place of Kopi. Laferriere is just getting his spot because these morons traded away their breakout RH top 6 guy for f-ing loser. No way Laf should play over QB on PP1.. The dude is not a one timer threat, has bad passing instincts based on all evidence so far. What value does he bring to the PP? If LAK staff was the first humans aliens met - what they would tell their comrades?

Kinda hard to be successful on the powerplay, if you can't get the puck.....

But again, we all know....and this is beyond reproach, that the best way for a PP to succeed, is put your top 5 skills players on it....and then PP2, is your next 5 skill players....when you do that, no one can stop you....right?

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Kinda hard to be successful on the powerplay, if you can't get the puck.....

But again, we all know....and this is beyond reproach, that the best way for a PP to succeed, is put your top 5 skills players on it....and then PP2, is your next 5 skill players....when you do that, no one can stop you....right?
A team with no top 30 scorers should put their best offensive players on pp1 for the most part. On top of that QB has better puck retrieving skills than Laf... obviously a better play maker.. and should break out even more this season.

Reactions: ibleedkings

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Wait until mid season when they have Clarke on the PP as the bumper because no one else could get the job done. Plus that leaves Drew out bombing shots into shins.

Man a right shot scoring threat winger would be such a treat

Who would be better or the two units below?

PP1 - Kopi, Kempe, Laf, Moore and Drew,

Or

PP2 - Byfield, Fiala, Thomas, Spence and Clarke

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
The real answer (like it has been for 15 years) is to put Kopitar in front of the net but I’ve given up hope on that ever happening

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I argued for the bold a lot of last year.

I think he does have a decent offensive skillset. But he's a strictly north-south player. I get he's just the bloodhound for Kopitar and Kempe so the 'fit' is there but he hasn't done nearly enough to be there, this is a roster construction failure.

Yeah I think it's totally fair to talk about the kids not getting chances when you put a guy who had literally the worst results of ANY Kings player--from an advanced AND counting stats standpoint--up next to Kopitar while you let Kaliyev, Thomas, and Turcotte fight for who gets to rot next to Trevor Lewis. Why does Laferriere get elevated to literally the cushiest possible situation while those guys get jammed in the worst? Laf didn't get results OR process, he got actively worse as the year went on. He never played such a large amount of games and minutes and it showed--and now we're giving him the hardest matchups and minutes.

And before anyone says it's the PLD effect, note he was even WORSE away from PLD

View attachment 909095

He's a checker who hasn't gotten scoring results and bleeds goals and chances against despite cushy Ozone deployment and soft matchups next to their pet project.

Again, it's the org mistaking guys who get actual results for guys who look like they're trying hard. The real problem isn't him getting a look there; it's that you know they won't be flexible if it doesn't work.

DO I think he has upside? Absolutely. I don't think it's productive to lump all the kids in together for sake of reducing the actual argument to something to find a 'gotcha' about. You don't see me begging to put Lee or Helenius in the lineup at all, for example. But this org is finding ways to absolutely waste any of its drafted young offensive talent and this is another example of how.

I'd love him to be successful there in the end--he's an easy kid to root for, has the right attitude, and it would solve a lot of roster problems--but I think it's fair to be annoyed that they're just finding ways to look right past the other youth. I'm not mad at Laf.
This has become a pattern with Kings management. Players get positions based on "looking the part."

PLD looked the part. Edmundson looks the part. Jeannot looks the part. And Laferriere looks the part.

I'm not opposed to giving Laferriere a try in this position, and I think he'll become a good player, but like you said it's just frustrating seeing them look past other young players.

Also, Laf spent some time with Kopitar and Kempe last year and it wasn't good:
GF%xGF%TOI
Kempe Kopitar w/ Laferriere
44.44​
43.17​
82:49:00​
Kempe Kopitar w/o Laferriere
62.3​
53.09​
780:48:00​

Unless Laferriere takes a huge leap forward, this is going to be a big problem.

People don't realize how good Byfield is, and how important he was to making that line work. Kopitar's shooting percentage isn't going to be 20% again.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
A team with no top 30 scorers should put their best offensive players on pp1 for the most part. On top of that QB has better puck retrieving skills than Laf... obviously a better play maker.. and should break out even more this season.

Again, not how things work....but like I said.....putting the 5 most skilled players on PP1 is pretty much par for the course for this board's understanding.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Again, not how things work....but like I said.....putting the 5 most skilled players on PP1 is pretty much par for the course for this board's understanding.
Thats some good hand waving there.. not how things work.. good one. Hopefully Laf on PP1 is just a preseason charade to get other guys motivated to grab that spot.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Thats some good hand waving there.. not how things work.. good one. Hopefully Laf on PP1 is just a preseason charade to get other guys motivated to grab that spot.

I don't know any other way to put it, it's not how things are done?

Tell me why Hyman is playing with McDavid....Hyman is definitely not the most skilled on EDM after the big two, but he plays there, and on the PP.....hmm...maybe it's just more than skill,

Why was Kunitz playing with Crosby? I mean you can literally go throughout the history of the game and see that it's not just skill that determines roster makeup/line makeup.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I don't know any other way to put it, it's not how things are done?

Tell me why Hyman is playing with McDavid....Hyman is definitely not the most skilled on EDM after the big two, but he plays there, and on the PP.....hmm...maybe it's just more than skill,

Why was Kunitz playing with Crosby? I mean you can literally go throughout the history of the game and see that it's not just skill that determines roster makeup/line makeup.
Please do not try use those as analogies for Laf and anyone with talent. The dude had 11 assists playing in the top 9 the entire season. Of course I understand its not all about straight talent.. otherwise how do you explain Kyle Connor on the Jets. This is getting far away from my point that QB deserves a bigger footprint on the squad... esp on PP1 which is saddled by two wholey uncreative core guys in Kopi and DD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad