Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
No way we get late 2nd for player like Dvorak. Realistically, 4th and we would need to retain 50%. Similar to Roslovic tradelast TDL.

If he stays healthy and plays to his potential he is worth a 2nd rounder all day as he is strong on faceoffs with decent size and is responsible defensively.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
No way we get late 2nd for player like Dvorak. Realistically, 4th and we would need to retain 50%. Similar to Roslovic tradelast TDL.
It depends how well Dvorak plays this year and how healthy he is. He wins faceoffs. Will rarely make his coach look bad. He's a vanilla player but winning faceoffs = rispek in the mind of many dinosaurs. If at the deadline he is healthy and has 20 points he'll return a cond 3rd at least. One thing is sure we wont recoup the late 1st (Filip Bystedt) and high 2nd (Alfons Freij) we gave for him ;). That was one of MB worse trade,

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It depends how well Dvorak plays this year and how healthy he is. He wins faceoffs. Will rarely make his coach look bad. He's a vanilla player but winning faceoffs = rispek in the mind of many dinosaurs. If at the deadline he is healthy and has 20 points he'll return a cond 3rd at least. One thing is sure we wont recoup the late 1st (Filip Bystedt) and high 2nd (Alfons Freij) we gave for him ;). That was one of MB worse trade,

Does the dinosaur comment make you feel better? Faceoffs are extremely valuable and there is no correlation to the age of those who value it and it's actual value. People who understand hockey value it and highlight drunk fans often do not.

He is still better than KK and as Hab fans we should be hopeful that he can stay healthy and have a good season. Let's not forget that we also got Engstrom in the KK deal.

Last edited:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Does the dinosaur comment make you feel better? Faceoffs are extremely valuable and there is no correlation to the age of those who value it and it's actual value. People who understand hockey value it and highlight drunk fans often do not.

He is still better than KK and as Hab fans we should be hopeful that he can stay healthy and have a good season. Let's not forget that we also got Engstrom in the KK deal.
Dvorak in the bottom six is a fine piece. Not elite, but isn't a negative out there. Who cares about KK at this point, right?

Your point about faceoffs is so true. Older guys who are good at them can stick around, or at least have in the past, and that speaks more to their value than some veteran bias.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
If he stays healthy and plays to his potential he is worth a 2nd rounder all day as he is strong on faceoffs with decent size and is responsible defensively.
He never played to the potential he's worth. Why it would be different this year?
"Responsive defensively", Habs with Dvorak were among the worst teams in the league, the only good thing Dvorak does is a good % of winning FO. His foot speed is very very slow, he can't do anything good defensively or offensively. He would have been good in the years of hooking of the '80's.

• Love
Reactions: Rapala

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
He never played to the potential he's worth. Why it would be different this year?
"Responsive defensively", Habs with Dvorak were among the worst teams in the league, the only good thing Dvorak does is a good % of winning FO. His foot speed is very very slow, he can't do anything good defensively or offensively. He would have been good in the years of hooking of the '80's.
So hockey isn't a team sport and Dvorak is the reason the Habs were among the worst teams in the league ? Granted he hasn't lived up to the hype from his London Knights days when he played on a line with Marner but he is still a very useful hockey player in a bottom six role .

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
So hockey isn't a team sport and Dvorak is the reason the Habs were among the worst teams in the league ? Granted he hasn't lived up to the hype from his London Knights days when he played on a line with Marner but he is still a very useful hockey player in a bottom six role .
Honestly, what I saw, Dvorak is slow, not good defensivly and offensivly. You mention a team sport : this is a sport where a center is the most important player on a line. I don't think a player with minus stats year after year is considered useful in a bottom line. Habs were among the worst of the league since Dvo is part of this team. Yeah he had good games once in a while, once in a while. My opinion: he barely belongs to the NHL, Habs fans deserve better than bottom of the league players like Dvo, Pezz, RHP, Evans, etc

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Evans is married now and needs to think about his family as priority. So I could see him wanting a 4 year deal, 3 minimum for as much as he can get. That could price him out of Montreal and the term the team prefers is probably 2.
My first thought was, yeah I don't think any team will offer him a big deal. But then again, come free agency, you never know.

At any rate, there are some good candidates for the bottom six in the future, so he will probably be replaced:

Newhook - Hage - Roy
Heinmen - Beck - Kapanen
Xhekaj, etc...

Maybe one of those 6 goes to the top 6 if Laine doesn't work out, or for cap reasons we can't keep all of Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, Demidov, and Laine.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Honestly, what I saw, Dvorak is slow, not good defensivly and offensivly. You mention a team sport : this is a sport where a center is the most important player on a line. I don't think a player with minus stats year after year is considered useful in a bottom line. Habs were among the worst of the league since Dvo is part of this team. Yeah he had good games once in a while, once in a while. My opinion: he barely belongs to the NHL, Habs fans deserve better than bottom of the league players like Dvo, Pezz, RHP, Evans, etc
The real reason the team has been bad the past few years is because of the loss of players like Price , Weber , Danault and Lehkonen among others plus tanking and going full rebuild and at one point playing with five rookies on defense with a backup goalie as your number one . Blaming guys like Dvorak for the teams poor performance over the past few years is a juvenile argument at best but if it helps you sleep at night then by all means , have at it .

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
My first thought was, yeah I don't think any team will offer him a big deal. But then again, come free agency, you never know.

At any rate, there are some good candidates for the bottom six in the future, so he will probably be replaced:

Newhook - Hage - Roy
Heinmen - Beck - Kapanen
Xhekaj, etc...

Maybe one of those 6 goes to the top 6 if Laine doesn't work out, or for cap reasons we can't keep all of Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, Demidov, and Laine.
I agree, in time we have promising C depth developing in the bottom 6 and Hage perhaps a 2C.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don’t really see Anderson or Dvorak going on waiver, Gallagher can’t be exposed. I don’t see how getting a late 2nd is so insignificant both Kapanen and Hutson are late 2nd it kind of worked out… if Kapanen outplays everyone you make a trade earlier maybe you even consider trading Evans because Dvorak is you only LC but we shouldn’t be rushing him, young player need ice time and the expectation are greater this season we can’t be developing guy in the NHL, if he isn’t significantly outplaying everyone playing 1st C in the SHL with is dad as GM isn’t the worst situation for is future.
4.5 extra caproom should acquire a late 2nf. I can't see Dvorak as must protect.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The real reason the team has been bad the past few years is because of the loss of players like Price , Weber , Danault and Lehkonen among others plus tanking and going full rebuild and at one point playing with five rookies on defense with a backup goalie as your number one . Blaming guys like Dvorak for the teams poor performance over the past few years is a juvenile argument at best but if it helps you sleep at night then by all means , have at it .
Lol, at the end, your argument, Dvorak is a good player, the context make he looks bad. Everyone surrounding him makes him have these negative stats and poor results. So maybe resign him, 4,5 for what he brings is a good deal. A fan like me who thinks Kapanen, Beck or Hage might become a better player than him is having a juveline argument. LA Kings might want to trade Danault to get Dvorak who does the same job for cheaper. Or better and cheaper.

Well, go ahead, put Dvorak on pedestal on this forum, defend him when someone like me say he's not good. You have the right to have your opinion and there must be other posters who thinks the same.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lol, at the end, your argument, Dvorak is a good player, the context make he looks bad. Everyone surrounding him makes him have these negative stats and poor results. So maybe resign him, 4,5 for what he brings is a good deal. A fan like me who thinks Kapanen, Beck or Hage might become a better player than him is having a juveline argument. LA Kings might want to trade Danault to get Dvorak who does the same job for cheaper. Or better and cheaper.

Well, go ahead, put Dvorak on pedestal on this forum, defend him when someone like me say he's not good. You have the right to have your opinion and there must be other posters who thinks the same.

I think Dvo could be a good player on the right line for him, in the right role. He's not dynamic enough to be a good 3c. But imo, he could be a strong second or third line winger who puts up 40 to 50 points, depending on his linemates. Plus, he can play C if there are injuries, or the game situation demands it.

And at this point in his career, he has to stay healthy, that's number 1 for him to be effective.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

If you think that Christian Dvorak "barely belongs" in the National Hockey League, it's pretty clear that scouting is definitely not your strong suit.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think Dvo could be a good player on the right line for him, in the right role. He's not dynamic enough to be a good 3c. But imo, he could be a strong second or third line winger who puts up 40 to 50 points, depending on his linemates. Plus, he can play C if there are injuries, or the game situation demands it.

And at this point in his career, he has to stay healthy, that's number 1 for him to be effective.
I kept posting his best use would be a winger. He can take a FO and switch to wing soon after. His slow feet body moves doesn't make him a typical Habs player, when historicly Habs were fast skaters. At wing a slow skater can hide this flaw a bit more.

I could imagine a gm somewhere thinking he could have a good use of Dvorak. With the good roster fit, maybe it's possible. Some teams wants to tank few years more and they need to fill holes. 4,5 is a bit expansive for a filler role. His contract expires, Dvo might have to sign a cheaper deal. He will have a job in the nhl and I hope for another team, not the Habs.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The team was bad with those players too.
Bad to the point of missing the PO by a small margin or make the PO with a small margin. But not bad as drafting #1 OA or 5th OA. That was a team with no top talent playing on the first line. They basicly had everybody on the wrong chair, the #1 line was in reality a fairly good second line and so on, the rest of the team on the wrong chair. The year when Radu, Markov and Emelin left the team was brutal.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Playing tonight

1000002902.jpg

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Gets me everytime hearing just how good defensively our bottom is. :laugh:
Dvorak used to get sent out on the PP to win face offs only to use them I kept saying Suzuki can do that on his own.
For me % goes out the window if you aren't winning critical draws.
In our case it's easy to see our PP and PK need it bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad