Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
I haven't seen him play but reading comments here, I'm wondering if we don't have a new version of Lehkonen in Kapanen.
He could be kind of a glue player, who could play anywhere in the lineup and make it work. Wasn't Lehkonen used by Canadiens like that too? Playing with someone like Kapanen makes things easier, he just makes those important plays that might not show at the scoreboard.

Young Lehkonen was more talented than Oliver tho. I always believed that he had solid top-6 upside and while it took some time, he is that player now. Kapanen other hand won't be a 50-60 point player (or what do I know), 40 points could be doable if things click the right way.

edit: I also think that he will be a center in NHL too, he has the skillset to succeed at that position

Reactions: Prendan Brust

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Our drafting was horrendous under Timmins for like a decade, but getting some value from their picks over their last 3 drafts will be big for the future whether they are part of the team going forward or used in trades.

This is a big change as we were not only missing on so many picks, but also having nothing to show for them given they were waived or traded next to nothing.

Caufield and Guhle are essentially locks for the future, while some guys like Struble, Mailloux, Roy, Kapanen, Dobes, Tuch and Farrell could either be part of the team or packaged in trades.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wow 2 years. The money must be good.

I'm guessing he has an out clause if he makes the Habs. I wonder about an AHL out clause. Probably none.

I could be misremembering, but Heineman was also under contract to Leksand for two years. The first year, if he didn't make the Habs, they had to loan him to Leksand. However, the second year, Habs were able to send him to Laval. They had the option to loan him for the second year of his contract, but they had the right to keep him in the AHL if he didn't make the Habs.

I remember reading an article where the GM at Leksand was saying that Heineman has a valid contract for his second year and they'd honor that contract if Habs chose to loan him for a second year.

MAYBE Kapanen has a similar deal? First year, he needs to be loaned. The second year, he could be loaned, but Habs have the right to keep him and send him to Laval.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Don't sign him then. Wait till he finishes his contract so you could use a contract spot. He'll be 22, he'll come then if he's good enough.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Wow 2 years. The money must be good.

I'm guessing he has an out clause if he makes the Habs. I wonder about an AHL out clause. Probably none.

you don't need out clauses, there's a PTA in place. The Habs can sign him and opt to have him play in the NHL or since he's under contract in Sweden and not under contract with the Habs, now he can only play next season in the NHL or he must be loaned back to Sweden since he's a non 1st round pick.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Don't sign him then. Wait till he finishes his contract so you could use a contract spot. He'll be 22, he'll come then if he's good enough.
If they sign him, he comes over for camp but doesn't make the team...he goes back to the SHL right?

But does his ELC contract clock start regardless?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If they sign him, he comes over for camp but doesn't make the team...he goes back to the SHL right?

But does his ELC contract clock start regardless?

because he signed in the SHL first, now next season it's Habs or SHL. His ELC clock starts no matter what, only junior aged slide, so if they sign him and he doesn't make the team then he goes back to Sweden and will count against the 50 while burning a year off his ELC.

Reactions: 417

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So he’s signed just because they related then?

Like the uneducated kid that takes over dad’s multimillion dollar business?
SHL is better than Liiga, so it will be good experience.

And Oliver Kapanen has been playing in Liiga for a while now, he's not exactly the uneducated kid.

His dad also played for Timra when he was younger.

Reactions: jaffy27

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So he’s signed just because they related then?

Like the uneducated kid that takes over dad’s multimillion dollar business?

More like he decided to sign there because it's his hometown team and his dad is GM.

Most team in the SHL would likely have been happy to sign him.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad