Oilers vs Steve Kozari

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Kozari is from BC. He was probably a huge Canucks fan growing up. I'd like to see the Canucks record with him reffing as a comparison.

Long story short, Kozari is a tool.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is the biggest thing that helped the NBA refs clean up their act.

I think the NHL wants to create a false parity on the skill gap of players by letting no names just commit penalties all game without calling it, because they don't want teams to be shorthanded all game.
I don’t think there’s any question this is going on. I also think it’s been ramped up since the league took the names off the officials jerseys too. Harder to criticize them if you don’t easily know who they are. Now they need to be really awful for the casual fan to bother trying to figure out who they are.

Reactions: Porkleaker

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
All I know is that there are far more games when the refs seem to manage the game in favor of the Oilers opponents rather than the Oilers.

Maybe 1 game out of 4 where you could say that the Oilers got the benefit of the calls.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Number of pps isnt the only story.....type of call and timing of calls is far more meaningful than the numbers for/against.

Back to back shitty calls could kill a period for one team.

Giving a makeup call to a deflated team is less likely to have an impact.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This is the biggest thing that helped the NBA refs clean up their act.

I think the NHL wants to create a false parity on the skill gap of players by letting no names just commit penalties all game without calling it, because they don't want teams to be shorthanded all game.

You'd think the NHL wants to be like the NBA and build around their stars but nope.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I realize it can be fun/cathartic to get mad over something like this, but certain Oiler fans are the only ones who think this was some kind of epic screw job. Consider that maybe it wasn't.
I mean I'm sure he doesn't go into every game thinking he's going to screw the Oilers. However, if you look at his resume it's pretty clear he is a bad referee. It comes off as though he is against the Oilers because he isn't good at his job.

There are a bunch of other refs who I'm sure have called 5 powerplays for the other team and none for us, and it doesn't end up being a big story around here.

The problem isn't that he calls more penalties on us than the other team, it's that the calls he makes against the Oilers are bad. I'm sure he makes bad calls against other teams too, all the time. The reason it sticks out is because of how bad the calls are.

Reactions: RattsSSV

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Really what you’d need to do is a deep dive into which ref is actually calling the penalties in each game since there is two of them.

I’m not sold there is enough in these numbers to suggest there is a true bias. There’s is no rule that penalties need to be even in a game and the oilers have been a bad team the majority of the time of these games. So having a losing record isn’t really that much of a surprise is it?

The win-loss record to me isn't an issue as a one win with that small of a sample size changes the percentages drastically (bumps it up to 50% which is close to the overall 51%).

However, the PP opportunities vs. Penalty Kills is a much bigger sample size and much larger disparity between before and after the incident as well as when compared to games officiated by others.

I think there's something to see here, and normally I don't subscribe to referee conspiracy theories. I'd be curious to see these numbers after update to see if it is still this drastic of a difference.

Last edited:

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
If you want the leagues attention on this issue, request that he no longer refs Oiler games, if the league does not do that then wait until he is reffing a game on HNIC(the early game) and 20 seconds before puck drop pull the guys off the ice, make a statement that says something to the effect of how bias he is and forfeit the game. League would have to give out a fine of course but guarentee he gets investigated.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
If you want the leagues attention on this issue, request that he no longer refs Oiler games, if the league does not do that then wait until he is reffing a game on HNIC(the early game) and 20 seconds before puck drop pull the guys off the ice, make a statement that says something to the effect of how bias he is and forfeit the game. League would have to give out a fine of course but guarentee he gets investigated.

This is a bad bad bad bad idea.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just gotta fall into his knees or something. Darcy Tucker that jerk. Does the "you shouldn't wish injury on other teams players" rule apply for refs? I don't think it should :)

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Holy smokes. Could you imagine? McDavid and co just skate off the ice and forfeit.

Would be huge fines, suspensions, and forfeiture of draft picks. Not worth it.

They would make a huge example if that happened for sure. The optics of it for the league would be terrible.
You hope management has picked up on the work Kozari does against the oilers. Hopefully they bring it up with the league.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Instead of forfeit just send out 4 guys instead of 5 for rest of period after the guy makes a bad call

Can't fine you for that

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
When do we get female refs? Will they be more vindictive? Will they tell us why we penalties are being called? Ahh

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Holy smokes. Could you imagine? McDavid and co just skate off the ice and forfeit.

Would be huge fines, suspensions, and forfeiture of draft picks. Not worth it.

If a coach pulls that off in minor hockey, he gets a bench major assessed, a game misconduct and if I remember correctly, suspended for atleast 1 year. Can only imagine what the NHL would do, like you said lol

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Bingo!!! But a lot of this is on the coaches as well. They want their teams to prevent goals first and foremost. Tocchet's comments about "protecting the house" pretty much tell you the whole story.

I see what you are saying, but coaches don't call penalties.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
My 2 cents worth. Many of you guys know I suffered through the 10 years shitstorm that was the Oilers. I finally stopped watching ANY NHL games after the 1st appearance in a long time a couple of years ago. Put that on the officiating by this League. I'm still an Oilers fan but the NHL can pretty much take a long hike and suck my balls while they're at it. It's become an unwatchable sport for me now.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Bingo!!! But a lot of this is on the coaches as well. They want their teams to prevent goals first and foremost. Tocchet's comments about "protecting the house" pretty much tell you the whole story.

Yes, but furthermore if the refs called the "coaching strategy" of instructing 3rd and 4th line grinders to hang off McDavid's pants then we would have a better game.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I have an idea !

mcDavid is fast, right? So fast that he is probably a decent speed if he is bobbing and weaving the entire time he skates so no one can grab a hold of him or predict his path.

Obviously he would need to play much fewer minutes, but his output would be 1-3 goals and 2-6 points on average with only 6 minutes average TOI.

Also obviously, we need some more greasy and cheap 3rd and 4th liners. The more clout with the league the better. We now instruct them to waterski whenever possible. This of course conserves their own energy thus allowing them to absorb the extra minutes that McDavid is ALLOWING them to have

edit: ooo and GGB (Germany’s Goodest Boy) is one of the few players in the NHL that could pass to a target moving like that

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad