GDT: Oilers vs Canucks - Final Rexall Game

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Can't ****ing wait. Hope they don't again let me down.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
Former Oilers who will not make it:

Bill Hicke (died in 2005)
Len Lunde (died in 2010)
Chris Worthy (died in 2007)
Jacques Plante (died in 1986)
Bill Flett (died in 1999)
Larry Hornung (died in 2001)
Pete Laframboise (died in 2011)
Barry Wilkins (died in 2011)
Don McLeod (died in 2015)
Paul Schmyr (died in 2004)
Juha Widing (died in 1984)
Garnet Bailey (died in 2001)
Bill Goldsworthy (died in 1996)
Rudy Tajcnar (died in 2005)
Don Ashby (died in 1981)
Igor Vyazmikin (died in 2009)
Walt Poddubny (died in 2009)

Sergei Zholtok

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
This is an interesting game. I think this is a game where you find out who really gives a crap on that Oiler team and who doesn't. I think it's obvious lots of them don't give a crap but... tonights game will tell you that for sure. If they come out and take a dump all over the ice, NUKE TIME. no doubt about it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This isn't the last event scheduled at Rexall before the building is changed is it? Still 5 months until the new building opens so I assume there will still be time for non tier 1 fans of the team to give it a send off.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This is an interesting game. I think this is a game where you find out who really gives a crap on that Oiler team and who doesn't. I think it's obvious lots of them don't give a crap but... tonights game will tell you that for sure. If they come out and take a dump all over the ice, NUKE TIME. no doubt about it.
I think Eberle will have a good game. I remember Smyths last game he was flying doing whatever he could trying to get Smytty that final pp goal.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
lol that asking prices for the game tonight are as much as 1,600 per ticket and cheapest seat is 200bucks.

Days after the Oilers gets blown out 5-0 by an awful club.

some people trying to make money or give it away?

lmao

Paid 20bucks to see the Oilers win Stanley Cups. To actually experience the SC winning nights.

1000 bucks now for nostalgia pt 113?

If you never knew that Oilerdom jumped the shark long ago..

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
As long as they work hard and score some goals it won't bother me if the oilers lose - just make it entertaining, something the Oilers have failed at in 90% of their games.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
family, friends and the edmonton oilers.... yes they suck, and they've sucked for a long, long time now, lol... but its the last game at the Coliseum tonight, so i'm gonna forget all the negativity for a night and remember all the good times... the hundreds and hundreds of nights of watching games with my dad and bull****ing about the team, last minute trips to the Coliseum with mom where i wouldn't know if we were going until she got home from work with free tickets from her boss, as a kid pretending to be moog or fuhr playing at a sold-out Coliseum, and all the thousands of other memories of the arena i'll keep with me until the day i die

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Oil sure rolling the dice in thinking people are actually going to stay after the game. Gonna look pretty pathetic if people are gone. Almost need to offer something free on the way out in order to keep people there.

You aren't serious are you? There will not be one empty seat for the ceremony after the game.

Now...as for the game... With the 5:00 start, I can see quite a few people stroll in after the first period.

Honestly, who cares about the game itself.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Buddy of mine sold his tickets for $800, people genuinely want to go to this game. No one will be leaving early.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You aren't serious are you? There will not be one empty seat for the ceremony after the game.

Now...as for the game... With the 5:00 start, I can see quite a few people stroll in after the first period.

Honestly, who cares about the game itself.

If the Oilers lay an egg, I bet a lot of people leave.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

The Calgary game already answered that question, hence the "blow it up" discussions of the last few days.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
lol that asking prices for the game tonight are as much as 1,600 per ticket and cheapest seat is 200bucks.

lmao

Paid 20bucks to see the Oilers win Stanley Cups. To actually experience the SC winning nights.

Cigarettes use to be .25 a pack too.;)

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Predicting a 4-3 overtime win for the Oil. Goals from all 4 first overalls with the winner coming from McD on a breakaway in OT using his patented cross crease deke. Last game at Rexall ends in epic fashion.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
The Calgary game already answered that question, hence the "blow it up" discussions of the last few days.

Weird. I thought after the Flyers game we had turned the corner and changed the culture.

Maybe using single games to make grand pronouncements about the direction of a franchise is kinda dumb?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

lmao

Yep, astonishing really. :shakehead

As a side note: I scalped tickets at games in Edmonton and Calgary in 86-87. It was tough to make a lot of money in Edmonton. People didn't want to pay much even to see Stanley Cup caliber teams. Calgary was a different story entirely. Not up here though, people wouldn't part with their cash, not even to watch the greatest hockey ever. Now people here have no limits to what they'll spend on a never ending stream of garbage. Times have certainly changed. I'm with you. I don't understand it all.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yep, astonishing really. :shakehead

As a side note: I scalped ticket at games in Edmonton and Calgary in 86-87. It was tough to make a lot of money in Edmonton. People didn't want to pay much even to see Stanley Cup caliber teams. Calgary was a different story entirely. Not up here though, people wouldn't part with their cash, not even to watch the greatest hockey ever. Times have certainly changed. I'm with you. I don't understand it all.

Just imagine if the Oil field was still in full force.

Heck imagine if the Oil themselves were a full force team:cry:

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Sergei Zholtok
Deceased Oilers alumni per the SIHR:

NHL:

Ashby, Don
Flett, Bill
Poddubny, Walt
Vyazmikin, Igor
Zholtok, Sergei

WHA:

Bailey, Garnet
Broderick, Ken
Goldsworthy, Bill
Hornung, Larry
Kerslake, Doug
Laframboise, Pete
Lunde, Len
MacGregor, Gary
McLeod, Don
Morris, Rick
Plante, Jacques
Shmyr, Paul
Tajcnar, Rudy
Widing, Juha
Wilkins, Barry
Worthy, Chris

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
4-0 Canucks

4 weak back checks by Eberle.

3 bad changes by Hall.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
does anyone know if the Oilers offered to pay the airfare to the former oilers? Not all former oilers are in a financial state to pay their way to a one off event like this

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nationally televised and in front of a bunch of legendary ex players at home? Yeah they usually show up with a good effort for these ones.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Weird. I thought after the Flyers game we had turned the corner and changed the culture.

Maybe using single games to make grand pronouncements about the direction of a franchise is kinda dumb?

After the Flyers game I asked the question if maybe the corner had been turned on changing the culture. Many here were wondering the same thing after what we saw that night. A week later I was saying it was clear that game was a one off. Most agreed.

This team is once again in thirtieth place and you'd have to be really dumb to think anybody is judging this team based solely on the game against Calgary on Saturday night. What many saw though was an opportunity for the players to show some heart and character for one game against a team that the fan base hates with a passion. The fact that they laid one of their biggest eggs of the year instead says something about these players, don't you think?

Judging by what was said by the head coach after that game and his clear disappointment with the team, I think minds were made up on players that night. It may very well have been a last chance to show something. Might to too late for some of these guys in the last two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad