SilverBlitzon

May 24, 2020
09A33321-F7B3-46C7-B48F-8F76DFD30925.png

Reactions: Stickpucker

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Curious how he plays for us. He's worth the risk of losing Patrik Puistola, who probably won't make it to the NHL.

On the one hand, I kinda wish we got retention, but on the other, we probably don't need retention anyway to with all our LTIR usage. I doubt we'll get more than $7M worth of additional players.

I'm still all about some Adam Henrique, with Brock Boeser or Nick Schmaltz as options 2 and 3.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Oilers fan. I think there will be a lot less pressure on him.

He is really a polarizing player. He was great last year and then just fell off. Hasnt really looked great at any point this year. He was amazing on the forecheck and has become more of a physical player. He creates chaos on the ice.

I think there is a player there. I think its a good bet for you guys. Carolina is probably the best place for him. Good on Holland for sending him somewhere where he at least has a chance to succeed.
Much less pressure than in Edmonton. He was your 3rd pick and was constantly judged based on that.

Now he gets a fresh start on Canes who acquired him for free basically. I also believe the system, dressing room and coaching is better for a player in Carolina than in Edmonton.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I was just listening to the Jeff Marek Show segment that happened when this was broken, and Marek mentioned that some of the Finnish players in Colorado, Dallas, and Carolina were thought to have gone to their management teams at various points to see about getting JP out of the situation that wasn't working well for him and into one of their teams. It really would be great if he could be one of those guys that comes to a team with less pressure and a great environment and performs well.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I was just listening to the Jeff Marek Show segment that happened when this was broken, and Marek mentioned that some of the Finnish players in Colorado, Dallas, and Carolina were thought to have gone to their management teams at various points to see about getting JP out of the situation that wasn't working well for him and into one of their teams. It really would be great if he could be one of those guys that comes to a team with less pressure and a great environment and performs well.
I mean I could see him as a very serviceable bottom 6 player for however long he stays here. Very likely the Fast replacement going forward, and maybe he finds his offensive game again and he moves up to the 2nd line.

Ain't no way in hell am I giving him anything more than a prove it contract going forward, and I'm not putting him in a position where he's expected to score. If he can't put up points with McDavid or Draisaitl, he's not putting up points here.

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I mean I could see him as a very serviceable bottom 6 player for however long he stays here. Very likely the Fast replacement going forward, and maybe he finds his offensive game again and he moves up to the 2nd line.

Ain't no way in hell am I giving him anything more than a prove it contract going forward, and I'm not putting him in a position where he's expected to score. If he can't put up points with McDavid or Draisaitl, he's not putting up points here.

I'm really, really tempering my expectations here, so overall I 100% agree with you. But as far as potential upside is concerned... he did put up 36pts in 65 games last year. That's not nothing. It's not a 4oa pick, but it's not nothing.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I mean, it could just be that Jesse wasn't a fit for the Oilers' roster contruction. They practically have jack shit as far as good third line centers are concerned. We have two of the league's best defensive centers from a statistical standpoint in Staal and KK. He might be a good fit next to both of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad