Proposal: Oilers - The Search for a Decent Defenseman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Look at who I'm responding to. I didn't pull this train off track. I agree with the bolded. Type is important. Everyone is saying they need a physical defenseman. I think they need 2 defensemen who can defend top 6 players. Physical or not doesn't really matter. That Finnish kid is pretty physical, same with Nurse. They have plenty of blueline offense. They need a shutdown pairing.

There are 2 other fixable issues with the Oilers.

1. Top players are playing WAY too much. This has been an ongoing issue through multiple coaching staffs. A 19 minute spread between the top forward and the bottom is ridiculous. 19 minutes should be the most a forward typically plays. 15 minutes is too much difference on the blueline too. The difference between first half McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse and second half has everything to do with too many minutes.

2. This is very unpopular with Oilers fans, but it's evident to everyone outside Edmonton. Draisaitl and McDavid have to commit to playing better in their own end. Draisaitl was playing better at the start of the season but has regressed now. McDavid makes it very hard on his defensemen by playing way too high in his own end. Compare and contrast Lindholm or Backlund's defensive positioning with McDavid's last night and you'll see what I mean. A deep center makes his defensemen look a lot better.

1) This was happening when Woodcroft first came in. No coincidence, but it was also the first time in months we'd been fully healthy. Now that Puljarvi and more importantly Nuge are both out, we've been rocking a third line fo McLeod, Ryan and Shore and... well... you just can't distribute time as efficiently when that is your THIRD line (noting Benson, Scevior and Turris on the fourth).

2) McDavid comes plenty deep... but his problem is that he sometimes gets a bit gassed and coasts when he's within striking distance of his check (assuming he can make those last two strides whenever needed) and gets caught on the wrong side of the puck. And, back to point #1, both McD and Drai only do that when they are overplayed. It isn't that they aren't committed defensively... they absolutely are once it is clear we are in danger... their issue is that they coast a bit when they think our D have it under control, which gets them caught. Again, with Woodcroft they were playing less and the issue went away. It's entirely based on energy conservation rather than a lack of willingness to engage. With Nuge out, they are overplayed again and the issue is back.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If we can re-sign Lindholm I'd do a 1st + Bourgualt pretty comfortably.

Would you throw a 1st and Bourgault (effectively two 1sts) at a rental like Lindholm, nevermind how the cap would work, or would you rather trade for Chychrun and have a guy under a sweet contract for a while? The price might be higher but at least you're not standing outside of the gym while your date dances with someone else after the season is over.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
1) This was happening when Woodcroft first came in. No coincidence, but it was also the first time in months we'd been fully healthy. Now that Puljarvi and more importantly Nuge are both out, we've been rocking a third line fo McLeod, Ryan and Shore and... well... you just can't distribute time as efficiently when that is your THIRD line (noting Benson, Scevior and Turris on the fourth).

2) McDavid comes plenty deep... but his problem is that he sometimes gets a bit gassed and coasts when he's within striking distance of his check (assuming he can make those last two strides whenever needed) and gets caught on the wrong side of the puck. And, back to point #1, both McD and Drai only do that when they are overplayed. It isn't that they aren't committed defensively... they absolutely are once it is clear we are in danger... their issue is that they coast a bit when they think our D have it under control, which gets them caught. Again, with Woodcroft they were playing less and the issue went away. It's entirely based on energy conservation rather than a lack of willingness to engage. With Nuge out, they are overplayed again and the issue is back.
Nope McDrai don't play D ever it seems. Both goals sucks and lazy defensive.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Would you throw a 1st and Bourgault (effectively two 1sts) at a rental like Lindholm, nevermind how the cap would work, or would you rather trade for Chychrun and have a guy under a sweet contract for a while? The price might be higher but at least you're not standing outside of the gym while your date dances with someone else after the season is over.

Like I said I would only do it if we know Lindholm's re-signing, and the poster I quoted mentioned us sending back cap.

I would definitely prefer a Chychrun deal though, regardless of whether it means paying more futures.

Reactions: TFHockey

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Why are you talking about this in a search for Defenseman thread? Get back on track or bail.

I firmly believe the Oilers could really benefit from two more defensemen, 3-4 RHD and LHD.

Lowetide stated he liked Broberg playing the right side. I am not as comfortable with him doing that, certainly not as a long term solution. Sure he looked alright last night.

With a larger number of teams out of the playoffs and more defensemen available this year I think the prices will be lower. This *should* make Holland's job easier.

Haha . Good one . Thats like putting a blind man in a 1 horse town and selling him to find the horses saddle and saying it is easier because there is only 1 saddle .

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad