Proposal: Oilers - The Search for a Decent Defenseman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The Oilers' last 3 GMs have all been worse.
Jimbos saving grace was the draft.

Being the Oilers GM is hard. You're always left in a hole by the last guy with tons of pressure to fix it fast. Hard to do that when all the Canadian teams have to pay more for the same players because no one wants to be here.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Jimbos saving grace was the draft.

Being the Oilers GM is hard. You're always left in a hole by the last guy with tons of pressure to fix it fast. Hard to do that when all the Canadian teams have to pay more for the same players because no one wants to be here.

The main hurdle for Canadian teams only ever really seems to be NTCs. Teams have attracted plenty of big name free agents and they'd have all been better off if they hadn't--as is true for most teams, honestly.

Drafting is the key to success, anyways, and there's no such disadvantage there. Unfortunately the Oilers have been failing spectacularly there for... 15 years? Maybe a bit more? I don't know if they've had a draft pick outside of the first round contribute anything substantial since Jeff Petry, and a lot of their first round picks have been outperformed by guys they passed on.

For forwards their most recent significant pick outside of the first round is Jarret Stoll in 2002.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The main hurdle for Canadian teams only ever really seems to be NTCs. Teams have attracted plenty of big name free agents and they'd have all been better off if they hadn't--as is true for most teams, honestly.

Drafting is the key to success, anyways, and there's no such disadvantage there. Unfortunately the Oilers have been failing spectacularly there for... 15 years? Maybe a bit more? I don't know if they've had a draft pick outside of the first round contribute anything substantial since Jeff Petry, and a lot of their first round picks have been outperformed by guys they passed on.

For forwards their most recent significant pick outside of the first round is Jarret Stoll in 2002.
I like McLeod. I think he's going to be a really nice middle six guy. Already is most nights.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
How did you like that 21.75 million turnover combo on the Gaudreau goal? Haha

I wouldn't call Kassian holding onto Gudbranson for dear life a fight. Ritchie destroyed him. Heck Tkachuk was a draw.

Why are you talking about this in a search for Defenseman thread? Get back on track or bail.

I firmly believe the Oilers could really benefit from two more defensemen, 3-4 RHD and LHD.

Lowetide stated he liked Broberg playing the right side. I am not as comfortable with him doing that, certainly not as a long term solution. Sure he looked alright last night.

With a larger number of teams out of the playoffs and more defensemen available this year I think the prices will be lower. This *should* make Holland's job easier.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Why are you talking about this in a search for Defenseman thread? Get back on track or bail.

I firmly believe the Oilers could really benefit from two more defensemen, 3-4 RHD and LHD.

Lowetide stated he liked Broberg playing the right side. I am not as comfortable with him doing that, certainly not as a long term solution. Sure he looked alright last night.

With a larger number of teams out of the playoffs and more defensemen available this year I think the prices will be lower. This *should* make Holland's job easier.

Look at who I'm responding to. I didn't pull this train off track. I agree with the bolded. Type is important. Everyone is saying they need a physical defenseman. I think they need 2 defensemen who can defend top 6 players. Physical or not doesn't really matter. That Finnish kid is pretty physical, same with Nurse. They have plenty of blueline offense. They need a shutdown pairing.

There are 2 other fixable issues with the Oilers.

1. Top players are playing WAY too much. This has been an ongoing issue through multiple coaching staffs. A 19 minute spread between the top forward and the bottom is ridiculous. 19 minutes should be the most a forward typically plays. 15 minutes is too much difference on the blueline too. The difference between first half McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse and second half has everything to do with too many minutes.

2. This is very unpopular with Oilers fans, but it's evident to everyone outside Edmonton. Draisaitl and McDavid have to commit to playing better in their own end. Draisaitl was playing better at the start of the season but has regressed now. McDavid makes it very hard on his defensemen by playing way too high in his own end. Compare and contrast Lindholm or Backlund's defensive positioning with McDavid's last night and you'll see what I mean. A deep center makes his defensemen look a lot better.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Look at who I'm responding to. I didn't pull this train off track. I agree with the bolded. Type is important. Everyone is saying they need a physical defenseman. I think they need 2 defensemen who can defend top 6 players. Physical or not doesn't really matter. That Finnish kid is pretty physical, same with Nurse. They have plenty of blueline offense. They need a shutdown pairing.

There are 2 other fixable issues with the Oilers.

1. Top players are playing WAY too much. This has been an ongoing issue through multiple coaching staffs. A 19 minute spread between the top forward and the bottom is ridiculous. 19 minutes should be the most a forward typically plays. 15 minutes is too much difference on the blueline too. The difference between first half McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse and second half has everything to do with too many minutes.

2. This is very unpopular with Oilers fans, but it's evident to everyone outside Edmonton. Draisaitl and McDavid have to commit to playing better in their own end. Draisaitl was playing better at the start of the season but has regressed now. McDavid makes it very hard on his defensemen by playing way too high in his own end. Compare and contrast Lindholm or Backlund's defensive positioning with McDavid's last night and you'll see what I mean. A deep center makes his defensemen look a lot better.

I actually agree with you here. I know from my limited no talent experience playing sports is that I cheat positionally when I get tired. I think McDavid and Draisaitl's problems stem from being played too much and are now nearing the end of the season and are exhausted. Having three of the Oilers top six guys out with injury doesn't help either. But you're right, this has been an ongoing problem with the Oilers for years now.

Getting some solid defensemen - specifically I mean guys not playing out of position but legit 3-4 pairing D - is what I want Holland to get. Scott Mayfield, Dylan DeMelo, Carson Soucy, are names that figure prominently with me. The Oilers need both left and right sided guys.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I actually agree with you here. I know from my limited no talent experience playing sports is that I cheat positionally when I get tired. I think McDavid and Draisaitl's problems stem from being played too much and are now nearing the end of the season and are exhausted. Having three of the Oilers top six guys out with injury doesn't help either. But you're right, this has been an ongoing problem with the Oilers for years now.

Getting some solid defensemen - specifically I mean guys not playing out of position but legit 3-4 pairing D - is what I want Holland to get. Scott Mayfield, Dylan DeMelo, Carson Soucy, are names that figure prominently with me. The Oilers need both left and right sided guys.
Those are all the right type of player I think. All of reasonable cap hits too. If the price isn't as crazy as has been suggested by Habs fans another good one is Chiarot.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Those are all the right type of player I think. All of reasonable cap hits too. If the price isn't as crazy as has been suggested by Habs fans another good one is Chiarot.

I like chiarot, but he is a pending UFA and Holland had previously indicated he would not give up good assets for a rental. So he is likely out from and Oilers perspective.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Devils have Severson Ty Smith and possibly Graves . Jesse Pul please

Since Puljujarvi is the Oilers best RW and they are thin on that side I'd say it is unlikely he'd be dealt. Very unlikely.

Severson is a great RHD. I see him as a better version of Tyson Barrie. Yes there are flaws in his game but they are not as apparent as Barrie's.

I think Edmonton is best suited for solid defensive LHD and RHD players. I don't think Holland would pay what the fans on here demand to land Severson.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
blackhawks should be unloading Murphy and Mccabe soon.

I have time for a Connor Murphy. He, Kubalik and MAF were my preferred Chicago targets for Holland. Looks like MAF is off the table so that leaves an under performing Kubalik and a solid D like Murphy. From what I know Murphy is a little bit injury prone and sometimes coughs the puck up in his own zone and doesn't have a ton of offensive talent. However he is considered to be one of the most consistent players on defense for the Hawks, correct? He also has size and has started to use it a bit in Chicago, yes?

I wonder what the asking price would be. Seems to me the Hawks owe the Oilers for the Keith trade but that is just a fan talking.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Haven't read any posts but what would Dillon be worth to the Oilers?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If it doesn't look like Lindholm is going to be re-signed, what kind of a return would you be looking for?
I think
1st + b to b+ prospect prob makes enough sense(maybe extra pieces with cap dump/retention and all that stuff)

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Since Puljujarvi is the Oilers best RW and they are thin on that side I'd say it is unlikely he'd be dealt. Very unlikely.

Severson is a great RHD. I see him as a better version of Tyson Barrie. Yes there are flaws in his game but they are not as apparent as Barrie's.

I think Edmonton is best suited for solid defensive LHD and RHD players. I don't think Holland would pay what the fans on here demand to land Severson.

I'd love to see Severson go play in Edmonton, don't think the cost would be prohibitive, 2022 1st and a good non-Holloway prospect.

I know there's some risk that Edmonton can miss the playoffs and the pick ends up being more valuable than intended. How about a conditional pick where NJ sends their (early) 2nd round pick back to Edmonton if they miss the playoffs? Yeah, I know it would never happen, but just for fun :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad