Proposal: Oilers - The Search for a Decent Defenseman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I would be 100% ok retaining on Soucy for a return like that. While he is not on an expiring contract, it is just another season more and should be doable.

Yeah, you have to imagine Soucy at a 1.375m caphit for the next two playoff runs would be enticing to pretty much every team in contention. The price of a 20th-32nd OV pick and a middle 6/middle pairing prospect is hardly one to balk at from a contenders perspective

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The blueline is where the Oilers have to improve. Specifically defensemen who can actually defend top 6 players. That and McDavid needs to stop flying the zone early. No goalie will matter until those 2 things are fixed. Heck, Markstrom looked below average for the Flames when they weren't committed to playing the right way and now looks like a top 5 goalie since they are.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Why would AZ do that? Is Benning in that organization now? Stralman expires this year. Kassian is 2+ more years of pain.
Coyotes need to make the cap floor, GMBA wants to ice a "tough" team to play in the small barn in Tempe next year, Coyotes are going to be icing some rookies next year that they want protected, Coyotes don't intend to be competitive next year and Kassian's contract ends when they should start the turnaround.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Oh God here it comes. Oilers searching for a Dman and Danny Dekeyser, one of Kenny’s favs is placed on waivers.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I don't see either of Mayfield/Zub being available.

Some Islander fans said with Pulock and Dobson and probably not extending Mayfield when his contract expires around 4.5-5 million per he’s likely available for a 1st and a good prospect. He’s a solid #4 on a great cap hit so he will return a good package.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Coyotes need to make the cap floor, GMBA wants to ice a "tough" team to play in the small barn in Tempe next year, Coyotes are going to be icing some rookies next year that they want protected, Coyotes don't intend to be competitive next year and Kassian's contract ends when they should start the turnaround.
Kassian is hardly a heavyweight. He doesn't even fight heavyweights. He fights middleweights like Tkachuk, Calvert, Brouwer ect. Nick Ritchie would clean his clock. Crouse too.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
DeMelo with Bouchard would be a dominant pairing as soon as this post season.

You’re basically looking at the Methot to Bouchard’s Karlsson.

Can easily work with Nurse on the top pair as well. For a team that was running 7d and has a large variety of pairing potentials DeMelo makes the most sense as a plug and play dmen that can play all 3 pairings.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The blueline is where the Oilers have to improve. Specifically defensemen who can actually defend top 6 players. That and McDavid needs to stop flying the zone early. No goalie will matter until those 2 things are fixed. Heck, Markstrom looked below average for the Flames when they weren't committed to playing the right way and now looks like a top 5 goalie since they are.

Markstrom looked great in Vancouver and they didn't play defensively at all. So I understand the words you are saying, but they really aren't all that valid.

Some Calgary fans admittedly don't really have a sharp mind for the game though. I remember when Hartley's squad was having all those fluky late game comebacks and Flames fans legit thought that it was because their players were better conditioned than every other team. :laugh::laugh:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Kassian is hardly a heavyweight. He doesn't even fight heavyweights. He fights middleweights like Tkachuk, Calvert, Brouwer ect. Nick Ritchie would clean his clock. Crouse too.

His last 4 fights have been against Erik Gudbranson, Logan Stanley, Zack MacEwen and Michael Pezzetta.

If Ritchie would clean his clock in a fight how come he didn't when they fought in the playoffs in a fairly even tilt?

You mention Calvert like that's all he does and didn't mention the fight prior was Kyle Clifford and after it was Chiarot. He's fought Ritchie, Thorburn x2, Chara, Matt Martin, Patty Maroon and Jamie Oelsiak. How come you didn't mention any of these guys who are all mostly bigger than Kassian? Did they not suit your agenda?

Reactions: Ctrain2k and zar

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I like your thinking . Done from my side .

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Braun's probably the best fit for Edmonton. Likely the most available and probably the cheapest to acquire.

I'd imagine something like a 3rd and a prospect gets it done, which means Holland will pay a 2nd+ and immediately extend him.
Like what he did with Kyle Quincy whom Tampa turned into a franchise goalie? :laugh::laugh:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Part of the issue is the top 3 paid D men are playing well under their cap weight. Bringing in another player without jettisoning a large non UFA contract hardly makes sense, unless its a million dollar 2nd/3rd pairing LHD. And that alone does not fix the issues. Want to jettison a multi year bad contract and get a better player in return would cost significant young assets. It is just not an easy problem to solve.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I really dont think you guys are capable of overpaying for Zub without touching a key piece on your roster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Evan Bouchard is the only piece that makes sense from our perspective. Of course, that would be a horrible deal from the Oilers perspective and they would never offer it. Bourgault & a 1st really does nothing for us.

If Soucy is retained on, which IMO makes a lot of sense from Seattle's perspective, he would return a 1st + good prospect I suspect. Something similar to what Coleman returned.

Pretty much. The Senators don't need futures. They need young, good, active players. And above all else they need another top 4 defenseman in addition to Zub.

Unless Zub refuses to sign an extension, I just don't see how the Oilers could offer anything that would tempt the Senators to trade him.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
DeMelo is worth more to the Jets than he would get in a trade so barring a big overpay, he won’t be available.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Markstrom looked great in Vancouver and they didn't play defensively at all. So I understand the words you are saying, but they really aren't all that valid.

Some Calgary fans admittedly don't really have a sharp mind for the game though. I remember when Hartley's squad was having all those fluky late game comebacks and Flames fans legit thought that it was because their players were better conditioned than every other team. :laugh::laugh:
He played for a Vancouver team with Tanev and Edler. Both are significantly better in their own end than any Oiler defenseman. He also played with his top 2 centers being Horvat and EP before he was broken. Neither of them cherry pick. Admittedly, Oilers fans don't often have the best head for the game...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
His last 4 fights have been against Erik Gudbranson, Logan Stanley, Zack MacEwen and Michael Pezzetta.

If Ritchie would clean his clock in a fight how come he didn't when they fought in the playoffs in a fairly even tilt?

You mention Calvert like that's all he does and didn't mention the fight prior was Kyle Clifford and after it was Chiarot. He's fought Ritchie, Thorburn x2, Chara, Matt Martin, Patty Maroon and Jamie Oelsiak. How come you didn't mention any of these guys who are all mostly bigger than Kassian? Did they not suit your agenda?
The point would be he lost to Ritchie. That wasn't close to an even fight. The only fights he wins are against middleweight opponents. We've never seen him fight a true heavyweight like Lucic, Reaves, Deslaurier ect. Kassian is not a deterrent in any sense of the word. He's a borderline 4th liner. The Flames have 4 guys who can take him apart, so he fights our smaller 1st line player not any of them.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The point would be he lost to Ritchie. That wasn't close to an even fight. The only fights he wins are against middleweight opponents. We've never seen him fight a true heavyweight like Lucic, Reaves, Deslaurier ect. Kassian is not a deterrent in any sense of the word. He's a borderline 4th liner. The Flames have 4 guys who can take him apart, so he fights our smaller 1st line player not any of them.

Kassian landed more and Ritchie got the take down. Not sure what fight you watched.

He literally fought Gudbranson twice already. I get it, you spend most your time talking crap about the Oilers vs actually posting about your team.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Kassian landed more and Ritchie got the take down. Not sure what fight you watched.

He literally fought Gudbranson twice already. I get it, you spend most your time talking crap about the Oilers vs actually posting about your team.
How did you like that 21.75 million turnover combo on the Gaudreau goal? Haha

I wouldn't call Kassian holding onto Gudbranson for dear life a fight. Ritchie destroyed him. Heck Tkachuk was a draw.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Just fire the general manager and sell at the deadline honestly. 3rd worst GM of the 21st century only behind Milbury and Chiarelli.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Braun's probably the best fit for Edmonton. Likely the most available and probably the cheapest to acquire.

I'd imagine something like a 3rd and a prospect gets it done, which means Holland will pay a 2nd+ and immediately extend him.

Fletcher's as generous giving value away as Holland is, though, so we'd probably end up right back at that 3rd and a prospect. Honestly, I think Braun's worth a 2nd and a late pick in the right environment, since he's been playing up as our #2D and hasn't been a MacDonaldian disaster, so he'd probably look great as someone's 4, but I expect we'll end up at a 3 and a mid-tier piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad