Proposal: Oilers - The Search for a Decent Defenseman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
While I've proposed some overpayments and underpayments for players to help the Oilers over the past few months, I've consistently tried to land decent defensemen or goaltenders.

The idea, and I think most Oiler fans would agree, is to shore up these positions and reduce quality scoring chances against. This has to happen if Edmonton is ever to move forward in the playoffs.

While the debate rages on as to what starter or back up will end up replacing Mike Smith and/or Koskinen between the pipes, I'd like to focus on what mid pairing (3-4) defensemen could be available for Holland to overpay trade for.

Carson Soucy
Artem Zub
Scott Mayfield
Dylan DeMelo
Justin Braun

What is the asking price for these players?

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
While I've proposed some overpayments and underpayments for players to help the Oilers over the past few months, I've consistently tried to land decent defensemen or goaltenders.

The idea, and I think most Oiler fans would agree, is to shore up these positions and reduce quality scoring chances against. This has to happen if Edmonton is ever to move forward in the playoffs.

While the debate rages on as to what starter or back up will end up replacing Mike Smith and/or Koskinen between the pipes, I'd like to focus on what mid pairing (3-4) defensemen could be available for Holland to overpay trade for.

Carson Soucy
Artem Zub
Scott Mayfield
Dylan DeMelo
Justin Braun

What is the asking price for these players?
I don't see either of Mayfield/Zub being available.

Reactions: banks

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Never say never, especially when Zub is 1.5 seasons from needing a giant raise or walking in FA. That being said, you're not gonna find many (any?) Sens fans who would move him for anything other than a package that could only be deemed an "insanely stupid overpayment".

Demelo/Braun seem to make the most sense as far as the guys listed. We saw the best of Demelo in Ottawa and at his best he's someone you play with a talented puckmover and he just slows the game down allowing his partner to play to his strengths. Would make a pretty ideal fit next to Nurse or babysitting Niemelainen/Broberg/whoever on the 3rd pair.

Reactions: TFHockey

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Maatta could be available for the right price with Edler due back this month. Maatta has been playing better recently.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Maatta could be available for the right price with Edler due back this month. Maatta has been playing better recently.

Was thinking LA will have too many D. Maatta has looked pretty decent this year, but since he did not last year I would be a little scared if I were the oilers of how long it may take him to get adjusted to a new place.
The other issue is Edmonton and LA appear to be battling for a playoff spot, so I doubt LA would deal them a D-man.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Soucy should be available but with Gio gone at the TDL (likely) they may want to just keep him around. Hard to say if Francis considers Soucy as part of our 'core' or not.

I don't want to move Soucy for anything less than a 1st round pick but again, not sure how Francis views him.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Soucy should be available but with Gio gone at the TDL (likely) they may want to just keep him around. Hard to say if Francis considers Soucy as part of our 'core' or not.

I don't want to move Soucy for anything less than a 1st round pick but again, not sure how Francis views him.

The only way I can see a first round pick for Soucy is if we take back a bad contract.

If not, I think a 2nd and maybe a late round pick is more like it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The only way I can see a first round pick for Soucy is if we take back a bad contract.

If not, I think a 2nd and maybe a late round pick is more like it.
Nah. Not enough in my mind to move him for that. He slots well on the 2nd pairing, is physical and signed for another season at a modest 2.75M. His value is likely to remain the same or go up more next season so better for us to just keep him around if that's the most he gets back.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Never say never, especially when Zub is 1.5 seasons from needing a giant raise or walking in FA. That being said, you're not gonna find many (any?) Sens fans who would move him for anything other than a package that could only be deemed an "insanely stupid overpayment".

Demelo/Braun seem to make the most sense as far as the guys listed. We saw the best of Demelo in Ottawa and at his best he's someone you play with a talented puckmover and he just slows the game down allowing his partner to play to his strengths. Would make a pretty ideal fit next to Nurse or babysitting Niemelainen/Broberg/whoever on the 3rd pair.
I get the owner is broke jokes, but at some point, the Sens need to start keeping these guys....they are building something decent there.

Reactions: north49er

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Nah. Not enough in my mind to move him for that. He slots well on the 2nd pairing, is physical and signed for another season at a modest 2.75M. His value is likely to remain the same or go up more next season so better for us to just keep him around if that's the most he gets back.

Sure, but I think we've got to be a bit more realistic.

I get keeping him and agree that there's no pressure in trading him but I doubt we'll get a first round pick for him.

Though, if someone wants to do that I certainly wouldn't say no to it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Sure, but I think we've got to be a bit more realistic.

I get keeping him and agree that there's no pressure in trading him but I doubt we'll get a first round pick for him.

Though, if someone wants to do that I certainly wouldn't say no to it.

If people view Soucy as a top-4 D-man, then they would be willing to pay more than a 2nd round pick for him.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I get the owner is broke jokes, but at some point, the Sens need to start keeping these guys....they are building something decent there.

Melnyk has opened the pocket book pretty much every time he's had to since the rebuild started. The only issue in terms of dollars and retaining our talent is bonus money. Not typically something under the radar defensive defensemen tend to get all that much of anyways.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Melnyk has opened the pocket book pretty much every time he's had to since the rebuild started. The only issue in terms of dollars and retaining our talent is bonus money. Not typically something under the radar defensive defensemen tend to get all that much of anyways.
True enough, Zub is a guy they should absolutely retain

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers search begins and ends it net. D is battered right now
Except its leaked that they have given up on the goalie hunt unless someone shakes loose that isn't expected to. Not much point in dealing for yet another garbage backup, and if no starter is available, then what's the point? Might as well roll with Koskinen (who has played well recently) and Skinner (who has played well in general aside from one stinker of a game and needs more playing time so we know what we have with him).

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Maybe not but Holland tends to overpay.

I really dont think you guys are capable of overpaying for Zub without touching a key piece on your roster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Evan Bouchard is the only piece that makes sense from our perspective. Of course, that would be a horrible deal from the Oilers perspective and they would never offer it. Bourgault & a 1st really does nothing for us.

If Soucy is retained on, which IMO makes a lot of sense from Seattle's perspective, he would return a 1st + good prospect I suspect. Something similar to what Coleman returned.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I really dont think you guys are capable of overpaying for Zub without touching a key piece on your roster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Evan Bouchard is the only piece that makes sense from our perspective. Of course, that would be a horrible deal from the Oilers perspective and they would never offer it. Bourgault & a 1st really does nothing for us.

If Soucy is retained on, which IMO makes a lot of sense from Seattle's perspective, he would return a 1st + good prospect I suspect. Something similar to what Coleman returned.
I would be 100% ok retaining on Soucy for a return like that. While he is not on an expiring contract, it is just another season more and should be doable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad