Proposal: Oilers team next year what will it look like; what would you do

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Here is my timeline of events, hopefully.

Monday April 13th: Bob Nicholson announces in a press conference that Craig MacTavish and Scott Howson (plus Stu McGregor and numerous others who have proven squat) have been relieved of their duties. Darryl Katz writes a letter on the same day stating support and full autonomy on hiring a GM for Bob Nicholson and confirming that Kevin Lowe is solely responsible for "Rexall Sports & Entertainment" and will no longer be working under the Oilers umbrella.

Between April 13th and May 30th: Bob Nicholson conducts a thorough interview process of highly qualified candidates and eventually hires a GM. The GM is giving full autonomy on all personnel decisions. Bob Green is retained as Head of Amatuer Scouting and assistant GM.

Between May 30th and Mid June: The new GM hires a new coach....whether it be Todd Nelson or an external candidate, the best candidate is chosen for the job.

Prior to the draft: Bob Green and his staff gather and compile their draft lists.

Draft Day: The new GM does not do something stupid....trades a 3rd rounder to Chicago for Antti Raanta.....shops around the 2nd round picks for NHL bodies, specifically veteran d-men who can play in the top 4.

Free Agency: Don't do anything stupid....re-sign Derek Roy, possibly look at buying out Nikita Nikitin and abosorbing 1/3 of the 4.5 million caphit over 2 years.

Hanifin/Eichel remain in the NCAA...Nurse and Draisaitl do make the jump to the big club.

Too bad that is an impossible dream as the draft and other decisions are too close in time to make those changes. Unless we have an empty arena I don't see these logical changes happening. Time to cheer for another team or do other things.

Jul 19, 2012
I would move the team to Quebec City. They're so starved for hockey they won't care how bad the Oilers are for years. Move the Panthers here. Done.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Too bad that is an impossible dream as the draft and other decisions are too close in time to make those changes. Unless we have an empty arena I don't see these logical changes happening. Time to cheer for another team or do other things.

I don't know man.

Multiple teams have used this timeline in the past. Washington last year comes to mind.

IrishDart

Jan 15, 2015
What will the team look like?

Realistically?

Take this year's roster, add Drasaitl, Nurse, and if we happen to draft one of McEichel, slot them in right away too.

Change out a couple of the AHL bodies on the bottom six with a couple different AHL bodies, keep the D core the same.

Fasth is replaced with another backup from somewhere else, like Justin Peters or someone like that.

There's your roster.

What would I do? Same thing as the rest of you. Start with changing Management, then let them build an NHL club.
Remove the "core" label from Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Schultz, and make them earn their place, likely on another team.

Don't expect any actual changes until Katz has this team in a new arena. 16-17 is the first year I expect to see this organization care about trying to win.

Hhane Snidy

Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
To be a playoff threat, we need:

-Starting goalie
-2 Centers
-An entire top pairing

Need to fill all of those holes without creating any others, and then we need to pray for a relatively injury free season since the organizational depth is non existent at every position that isn't LD.

...Gonna be bad next year too

:cry:

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Draft Noah Hanifin at #3 (lets face it, slim chance we are drafting top 2)

Dump Nikitin and Ference for God knows what, but I don't care.

Trade Teddy Purcell (20% retained) for Bryan Bickell

Trade Pittsburgh 1st + prospect for Craig Anderson

Trade Montreal 2nd + Moroz for Patrik Berglund

Extend Roy for 1-2 years

Throw gobs and gobs at two of Green/Boychuk/Ehroff/Sekera etc.

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Roy - Yakupov
Bickell - Berglund - Lander
Hendricks - Gordon - Pitlick/Klink

Ehroff - Boychuk
Klefbom - Schultz
Marincin - Fayne

Anderson
Scrivens

Overly optimistic? Absolutely.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Nikitin/Purcell buyout talk will be interesting....

Keep both: 9 million caphit in 2016, none beyond.
Buyout one: 6 million caphit in 2016, 1.5 million caphit in 2017.
Buyout both: 3 million caphit in 2016, 3 million caphit in 2017.

I think you almost have to buyout Nikitin at this point....at least Purcell will have some value at next years trade deadline when we're an obvious seller again.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Here's what I want to see:

Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Roy or Vermette (UFA) - Yakupov
Belesky (UFA I think) - Lander - Purcell
Klinkhammer - Gordon - Hendricks
Pakirainen / Pitlick

Sekera (UFA) - Seabrook (2016 1st rounder + )
Klefbom - Schultz (or sign Green and send Schultz away)
Marincin - Fayne
Nikitin / Ference (keep one, buyout the other)

Nurse and LD spend the whole year in the minors. Unless they are absolutely torching it don't even call them up for injuries. Let Curtis Hamilton, Miller, Oesterle and Davidson be the replacements.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

I think you almost have to buyout Nikitin at this point....at least Purcell will have some value at next years trade deadline when we're an obvious seller again.

If Purcell was getting attention at TDD, you have to imagine you can get something for him. Especially for a tanking team (Toronto?). He's got one year left at a fairly large cap hit. Could be a good warm body for someone.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Good god.

I full expect

Hall-Nugent Hopkins-Eberle
Pouliot-Roy-Yakipov
Draisaitl-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Pitlick

Hanifin-Schultz
Nurse-Fayne
Ference-Klefbom/Marincin

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Hopelessly optimistic me:

Win lottery and draft McDavid.

Sign Derek Roy for 2 years at $2 million per.

Sign Yakupov for 1-2 years at $3 million per.

Buyout Nikitin.

Trade Teddy Purcell (50% retained) + Pittsburgh's First + Schultz's rights to Chicago for an extended Seabrook (extended at $6.5M x 5 years).

Trade 2015 second + 2016 second + prospect for Craig Anderson

Sign Boychuk in free agency for $6M x 5 years.

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle = $16M
Hall - Roy - Yakupov = $11M
Pakarinen - McDavid - Lander =$3M-$6M (depending on what McDavid bonuses are hit)
Hendricks - Gordon - Pitlick = $5.693M
Klinkhammer = $0.725M

Klefbom - Seabrook = $5.833M
Marincin - Boychuk = $7.5M
Ference - Fayne = $7.25M
Aulie = 0.800M

Anderson - Scrivens = $5.8M

Retained on Purcell = $2.25M

Buy out of Nikitin = $1.5M

Total against cap = $67.351 and risk of slight 2016-17 ding if McDavid hits his bonuses.

More realistic me:

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle = $16M
Hall - Roy - Yakupov = $11M
Pakarinen - Draisaitl - Purcell =$6.5M-$9.5M (depending on what Draisaitl bonuses are hit)
Hendricks - Gordon - Lander = $5.693M
Klinkhammer/Pitlick = $0.725M

Nikitin - Green = $11.5M
Klefbom - Schultz = $3.833M
Ference - Fayne = $7.25M
Marincin = 0.800M

Anderson - Scrivens = $5.8M

Total against cap = $69.1 and slight risk of 2016-17 ding if Draisaitl somehow hits his bonuses on a line with Purcell.

Last edited:

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
Draft Eichel (I think we are getting #2)
Trade Eberle or Hall for Dougie Hamilton-Boston's choice
Offer wheelbarrows of money for Boychuk
Trade Purcell for C Ward...Purcell is better suited for the eastern Confrence

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
PIT 1st + Scrivens + Purcell to Toronto for Bernier
2nd MTL to Rangers for Kevin Klein (all 6 dmen on NYR have a cap hit of 2.9 million or more :amazed: )
3rd STL to St. Louis for Sobtoka's rights
5th to Chicago for Bickell

Go into free-agency:

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yakupov
Bickell-Sobtoka-Lander
Wagon line

Kelfbom-Schultz
Marincin-Klein
Ference-Fayne
Nikitin

Bernier
Fasth (or UFA)

Try to find another upgrade on defence (trade or UFA), and see if you can move Ference/Nikitin.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Draft Noah Hanifin at #3 (lets face it, slim chance we are drafting top 2)

Dump Nikitin and Ference for God knows what, but I don't care.

Trade Teddy Purcell (20% retained) for Bryan Bickell

Trade Pittsburgh 1st + prospect for Craig Anderson

Trade Montreal 2nd + Moroz for Patrik Berglund

Extend Roy for 1-2 years

Throw gobs and gobs at two of Green/Boychuk/Ehroff/Sekera etc.

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Roy - Yakupov
Bickell - Berglund - Lander
Hendricks - Gordon - Pitlick/Klink

Ehroff - Boychuk
Klefbom - Schultz
Marincin - Fayne

Anderson
Scrivens

Overly optimistic? Absolutely.

Ehrhoff and Boychuk would be perfect additions, and I agree if there is an opportunity to pick up Bickell we should definitely give it a go, I'm just not sure if that would be enough.

I like everything but with the goalies I would really try hard to get Ramo, Talbot or Dubnyk (not joking) if he goes to free agency otherwise it wouldn't be realistic to get him.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
One thing I'm hoping for is Pitlick comes back from injuries soon and keeps playing like he was before injury. If he does that it could convince management that Purcell is expendable. Even if they retain say $1M on him next year, having an extra $3.5M to work with in the summer could be huge. If they could bury the hatchet and get Glencross back in Oil Country, a third line of Glencross-Lander-Pitlick could be very effective.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

If we don't need the cap space, what reason is there to buy out Nikitin? Who knows, he might even bounce back next year. His contract is only for one season longer. No risk in keeping him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If we don't need the cap space, what reason is there to buy out Nikitin? Who knows, he might even bounce back next year. His contract is only for one season longer. No risk in keeping him.

and we're allowed to be 10% over the cap in the offseason. Buy out Nikitin AFTER we go over the cap, not before. As bad as Nikitin has been he's still miles better than some plug.

although I'm not sure what the buy out windows are like

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I would move the team to Quebec City. They're so starved for hockey they won't care how bad the Oilers are for years. Move the Panthers here. Done.

If this team moves it might take a long time to come back if ever.

Jul 19, 2012
If this team moves it might take a long time to come back if ever.

They aren't moving and I am being facetious.

That said the Panthers owner and the NHL would move a team here in a heartbeat. Sold out building. **** team. Hockey crazy market. You kidding?

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
here's what i wouldn't do....rush McEichafin, Leon, Nurse, Yakimov, Khaira, Musil, Simpson, Moroz or LB. we are going to suck next year whether Nikitin or Purcell or anyone else is on or gone from this team. the UFA market this year for good players is really thin, so expect those good players to sign with contenders....MacT needn't even bother wasting a buck on adding another 4th liner or bottom pairing d-man....we have plenty of those type of players already in the AHL.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
if mact stays as gm--here is the roster for the first game this fall

Hall--Nuge-Eberle
Purcell--Leon-Yak
Pouliot-Gorcdon-Purcell
Iiro Pakarinen-Lander--Rob Klinkhammer

D
Klefbom
Schultz
Nurse
Nikten
Fayne
Ference
Jordan Oesterle

G
Scrivens
Laurent Brossoit

and we finish 28th

If I was GM--I would reset the rebuild and that would mean clearing out the guys who were part of phase one

moves I would make
1) Resign Roy 2y 4mill contract (2 mill year
2) Either buy out Nikiten or find a team to take if we need to eat salery we eat salery to move him for a 7th round pick
3) Sign Boychuck to a 6y 36mill contract (that is what it will take)
4) Tell Nurse and Leon enjoy your time in Bakersfield--you are there for the year
now here is where the fun begins and you guys get mad at me

trade 1-Hall to TB for johnny Drouin, Andrei Vasilevskiy, 2017 first round pick and Ondrej Palat
trade 2-Eberle to boston for Milan Lucic and resign him for money starting 2016
trade 3- Schutz to the leafs for Dion
trade 4--Pitts number 1 to Vancouver for Zack Kassian

these trades do not help us immidiately--but help long term and NO ONE WILL LIKE ANY OF THE TRADES BUT ME--it 430am and I am bored. This is rebuilding the rebuild--

Lines after the retool longterm

2017/2018
Druin-Nuge-Yak
Lucic-Leon-Kassian
Ondrej Palat-Lander-Pitlick
Pouliot-coke machine 1 coke machine 2

D
Klefbom
Nurse
Dion
Marincin
Faryne
Noah Hanifin or Oliver Kylington (I really like this kid)
TBA

Goalies
Scrivens and Vasilevskiy

remember this is a proper reset and are not ment to make us better right away

but attack anyway and have fun

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
What MacT will do:

Hall/RNH/Eberle
Pouliot/Roy/Yakupov
Draisaitl/Lander/Purcell
Hendricks/Gordon/Klinkhammer

Klefbom/Schultz
Nikitin/Fayne
Ference/Nurse

Backup goalie acquired with Pitt 1st
Scrivens

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Here's what I want to see:

Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Roy or Vermette (UFA) - Yakupov
Belesky (UFA I think) - Lander - Purcell
Klinkhammer - Gordon - Hendricks
Pakirainen / Pitlick

Sekera (UFA) - Seabrook (2016 1st rounder + )
Klefbom - Schultz (or sign Green and send Schultz away)
Marincin - Fayne
Nikitin / Ference (keep one, buyout the other)

Nurse and LD spend the whole year in the minors. Unless they are absolutely torching it don't even call them up for injuries. Let Curtis Hamilton, Miller, Oesterle and Davidson be the replacements.

I could actually see Seabrook happening, Chicago will be so up against the cap. If Seabrook wont' take a big discount on a long term deal he will have to go. The pittsburg first and Marincin at the draft.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Yak-Drai-Pouliot
Purcel-Lander-gazdic
klink-Gordon-Hendricks

Fayne-Seabrook
Klef-Schultz
Hanifin-Nurse

nikitin and ference...sigh.

Scrivens
Neuverth

Last edited:

Ad