Proposal: Oilers team next year what will it look like; what would you do

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Speaking of next year, does any one have an update on the internal audit? Has it been completed? Really hoping that Nicholson dosnt pull any punches and leaves Katz will the conclusion that mgmt needs to be cleaned out

Internal audit complete.

Results =
+ Bob Green
- Dallas Eakins

That is all. The future will be bright.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Speaking of next year, does any one have an update on the internal audit? Has it been completed? Really hoping that Nicholson dosnt pull any punches and leaves Katz will the conclusion that mgmt needs to be cleaned out

I'd be nice if they let people know about this but I think they want to avoid criticism.
The scouting page on the Oilers site hasn't been updated in years.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If everything goes perfectly, which it won't, we'll have a roster that looks something like this.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
McDavid - Roy (or upgrade, like Soderberg) - Yakupov
Pouliot - Lander - Draisaitl
Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkhammer
cheap spare veteran centre

Klefbom - Boychuk
Marincin or UFA vet - Schultz
Nurse - Fayne
cheap spare

Niemi
Scrivens

What will PROBABLY happen will be this.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot - Draisaitl - Yakupov
Gazdic - Lander - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkhammer
Pitlick

Klefbom-Schultz
Ference - Nikitin
Nurse/Hanafin - Fayne
Oesterle

Scrivens
another backup MacT thinks has miraculously become a starter.

Jul 19, 2012
What would I do? Tie the can to KLown, MacTwit and Howson the day the season ends. Get in people with less ego and more hockey brains. Fire anyone in scouting who suggests we measure our draft picks by their Possession and Corsi numbers.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
The biggest thing apart from front office moves that the team can do is get people who can do heavy lifting. Preferably someone to partner Fayne.

Klefbom-Schultz have shown good results, but they've been given fairly sheltered minutes. Lots of offensive zone starts, good offensive players etc.

With Marincin likely gone, we need a partner for Fayne who can help him do the heavy lifting.

I mentioned him on the other thread, Sekera would be my target. With the Kings having a fair number of contracts coming up, they may not be able to re-sign him. If that's the case, he should be a fairly high target of ours. He's 28 y/o, and played tough minutes for both Carolina and Buffalo. Him and Fayne would make a pretty good shutdown pairing for us. Allowing Klefbom-Schultz to continue playing easier competition.

IIRC, his last known contract demands were $5.5M/yr for 5 years. Which is a tad bit expensive, but if we want to get out of the basement anytime soon, you have to plug a leaky D. It doesn't matter if the D isn't producing much offense if it continually bleeds GA.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
The biggest thing apart from front office moves that the team can do is get people who can do heavy lifting. Preferably someone to partner Fayne.

Klefbom-Schultz have shown good results, but they've been given fairly sheltered minutes. Lots of offensive zone starts, good offensive players etc.

With Marincin likely gone, we need a partner for Fayne who can help him do the heavy lifting.

I mentioned him on the other thread, Sekera would be my target. With the Kings having a fair number of contracts coming up, they may not be able to re-sign him. If that's the case, he should be a fairly high target of ours. He's 28 y/o, and played tough minutes for both Carolina and Buffalo. Him and Fayne would make a pretty good shutdown pairing for us. Allowing Klefbom-Schultz to continue playing easier competition.

IIRC, his last known contract demands were $5.5M/yr for 5 years. Which is a tad bit expensive, but if we want to get out of the basement anytime soon, you have to plug a leaky D. It doesn't matter if the D isn't producing much offense if it continually bleeds GA.

Big fan of Sekera, but LAK almost always re-sign their deadline acquisitions. I doubt this year is any different, especially since they gave up a 1st and McKeown.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Tyutin + Anisimov + Berglund + Raanta

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Anisimov-Yakupov
Berglund-Lander-Pakarainen
Hendricks-Gordon-Klink

Klefbom-Schultz
Tyutin-Nikitin
Ference-Fayne

Scrivens \ Raanta

= 5M under cap. Nurse, Hanifin and Draisaitl in AHL.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
If we added Voynov and Sekera that would really improve our defense
Sekera; Voynov
Klefbom; Fayne
Ference; Schultz

I don't see how MacT can really do anything to big since he stated that he is not going to move Purcell, Nikitin or Ference. I think we pick up one dman; a goalie and then plug the rest of the holes.

If we go after one dman I would look at Voynov as I think he will be moved for a decent price. Boychuk is going to be too much money and Voynov still has a good contract with term on it.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
You guys are way too optimistic about this team.

I'm still a fan because damnit it's the Oilers. Never knew I had it in me to keep going with a team that is so obviously doomed. Ok, with that said, our young guys are getting older and more experienced, our coach isn't Eakins, we're getting awesome veteran support and mentoring, the attitudes and atmosphere seem to be changing. Anyway, we still suck but not as much.

Yaaaaaaay non-negative energy. Acceptance. Super fan Zen mode activated.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Klefbom; Schultz- 5.675(I am guessing Klef at 2mil and Schultz the same cap hit)
Klefbom isnt a pending RFA .. He will be making 894K next season and is RFA in 2016.

As for this thread... I hope MacT pays an extra 500K for burrying the hatchet and gets Glencross back in ETown.

Jun 9, 2011
Oilers will need to those prospects to pan out when Hall, RNH, Eberle are UFAs and are asking bigger $$$. Our cupboard is thinning. We need to restock. This year is to the year to do so.
Not to mention the lack of picks from last year. I agree. We need to develop from within, whatever changes need to be made. We do not do well with trades or UFA's.

http://thehockeywriters.com/khl-business-25-million-dollars-to-win-regular-season-title/

http://thehockeywriters.com/what-ever-happened-to-alexander-radulov/

Radulov signed for $9.2 million per season. Thanks to the ruble dropping, he is only making $3.2 million this season. There are lots of Russian players with NHL experience available. :nod:

Linus Omark is leading KHL playoff scoring along with a +5. Too bad we traded Hartikainen's rights to Toronto - he is playing on the same team as & has much better stats than Anton Slepyshev (still in our pipeline).
I see more of this in our future if we trade away the young potential guys for the vets with contracts beyond their usefulness. Hartikainen seemed to be on track to fill Smyth's spot.. until we traded for Smyth and kept him around too long.

Most important thing we can do, as mentioned in here, is get new management. As soon as they are available from whatever club they currently work for.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Stafford-Roy-Yakupov
Pouliot-Hanzal-Glencross
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer

Boychuk-Hjalmarsson
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Fayne

Anderson
Scrivens

Sign Glencross 3 years 3 million.

Sign Boychuk 5 years 6.5 million.

Sign Stafford 3 years, 4 million.

Marincin for Hjalmarsson in a cap saving move for Chicago.

Pittsburghs 1st at the draft for Hanzal.

Unsure what it will cost to acquire Anderson from the Sens.

Nikitin is bought out. Purcell is moved for a late pick or is bought out.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We will sign a bottom pair physical slug Dman an Aulie type of player.

We will trade for some teams backup goalie for a couple of 2nd rounders or our late 1st and a 2nd.

That's it, all else will remain the same.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
So right now we have this going into next year

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - Roy - Yak
xxx - Lander - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - xxx

xxx - xxx
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference - Fayne

xxx
Fasth

Realistically what i think we do is put Fraser/Pitlick/Klink into that 4W spot. Have Drai/2nd overall pick slot in on the 3LW spot.

For trades i see pitts 1st round pick, Marincin, 2nd round picks in play. IMO we use these to get a goalie in trade( i would go after Anderson ) and an average top 4 LD. Then we go after Boychuk big in the summer.

Don't think we get Boycuk and if not then we trade for a RD and go after a LD in free agency as there are alot more available (Martin, Erhoff, sekera, etc.)

I know MacT has confidence in Nikitin for some reason still but i really hope he gets bought out. If not then i could see Nurse being inserted as LD too and go after RD in trade/free agency. (it should save some money)

So what i want while trying to anticipate what the oilers will do.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - Roy - Yakupov
Drai - Lander - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Klink/Pitlick/spare C

Klefbom- Boychuk
Michalek/Hjarlmasson type - Schultz
Ference - Fayne
Nikitin

Anderson
Scrivens

Last edited:

ElFossum

Nov 19, 2013
Saskatoon SK
Mac T is going to hold course and use all ten picks (I think thats how many we have) and say our futureis looking bright. I also see Nurse making the team to start the year and that's entirely managements doing, as well potentially Leon. Whoever we draft this year top five will also start the year in the NHL. That's MacT + others trying to show progression that we're getting real NHL players to mask the fact that we can't actually get any in FA unless we grossly overpay. So until the day that we win and can actually bid on FA players fairly, we will use kids will ELC to fill spots until we go on 2 - 20 stretches like we did with Eakins.

/rant.

Connor Mcdavey*

I'd blow it up completely and build around eichel or mcdavid. Hall, Rnh, and eberle traded for good pieces. Schultz can go to hell, get this team an identity and go from there :)

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
MacT has pretty well stated that the players signed now will be on the team next year. He had a chance to move Ference & Purcell for late picks but wanted to keep them for the veteran presence for next year.

I think this says it all. If you're counting on guys like Ference & Purcell as "veteran presence" the team is pretty much toast. The fact that MacT didn't bail on these guys if he had the chance reinforces what I already knew about how his time as GM is going to go.

I get having a guy like Boyd Gordon as a veteran presence, but Teddy "Charmin" Purcell? WTH?

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
my wish list

sign Boychuk, Justin Williams, Jarret Stoll, Antti Niemi, Roy

Hall RNH Ebs
Pouliot Roy Yak
Lander Stoll Williams
Wagon line

Klef Boychuk
Marincin Schultz
Ference Fayne

defence still looks ugly eh

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Here is my timeline of events, hopefully.

Monday April 13th: Bob Nicholson announces in a press conference that Craig MacTavish and Scott Howson (plus Stu McGregor and numerous others who have proven squat) have been relieved of their duties. Darryl Katz writes a letter on the same day stating support and full autonomy on hiring a GM for Bob Nicholson and confirming that Kevin Lowe is solely responsible for "Rexall Sports & Entertainment" and will no longer be working under the Oilers umbrella.

Between April 13th and May 30th: Bob Nicholson conducts a thorough interview process of highly qualified candidates and eventually hires a GM. The GM is giving full autonomy on all personnel decisions. Bob Green is retained as Head of Amatuer Scouting and assistant GM.

Between May 30th and Mid June: The new GM hires a new coach....whether it be Todd Nelson or an external candidate, the best candidate is chosen for the job.

Prior to the draft: Bob Green and his staff gather and compile their draft lists.

Draft Day: The new GM does not do something stupid....trades a 3rd rounder to Chicago for Antti Raanta.....shops around the 2nd round picks for NHL bodies, specifically veteran d-men who can play in the top 4.

Free Agency: Don't do anything stupid....re-sign Derek Roy, possibly look at buying out Nikita Nikitin and abosorbing 1/3 of the 4.5 million caphit over 2 years.

Hanifin/Eichel remain in the NCAA...Nurse and Draisaitl do make the jump to the big club.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
He's 31. 6.5 x 6 years. He will be trending down in about 4 years. So preferably 7M x 4 years.

He will trend down wiothin 2 years playing for the Oilers. I would not sign any player long term who is older than 31.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
http://thehockeywriters.com/khl-business-25-million-dollars-to-win-regular-season-title/

http://thehockeywriters.com/what-ever-happened-to-alexander-radulov/

Radulov signed for $9.2 million per season. Thanks to the ruble dropping, he is only making $3.2 million this season. There are lots of Russian players with NHL experience available. :nod:

Linus Omark is leading KHL playoff scoring along with a +5. Too bad we traded Hartikainen's rights to Toronto - he is playing on the same team as & has much better stats than Anton Slepyshev (still in our pipeline).

Trading Hartikainen''s rights for Fraser (nothing player) was extremely stupid and typical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad