Proposal: Oilers team next year what will it look like; what would you do

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
The best thing we can do to improve this team for next year is to fire Lowe. And then keep working down.

We're ****ed.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bottom 3 finish with the D we'll be going into next year with, by my guess.

I'm not expecting even a good team next season, but if Nelson was here from day 1, they wouldn't be picking in the bottom 3, heck they're barely probably going to get the third spot as is and that's with Nelson really only coaching for about 35 games.

I don't think Petry is as good as this board thinks he is either. Not going to give Mac T a medal for how he handled that, because he's still a moron.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
From my personal view, I'd offer this

7x5 for Boychuk, front loaded

9/8/8/6/4

If he passes, then I'd make an offer of 5.25x5 for Franson.

I'd look at Jake Gardiner for PIT 1st + Marincin. Marincin might be a good d-man, but I don't think he brings enough offence from the back end, and we need that ASAP.

I'd trade Teddy Purcell @ 1 mill retained for Bryan Bickell. Brings real size for us, gives Chicago cap relief to resign Seabrook since Purcell's contract is a year shorter.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
From my personal view, I'd offer this

7x5 for Boychuk, front loaded

9/8/8/6/4

If he passes, then I'd make an offer of 5.25x5 for Franson.

I'd look at Jake Gardiner for PIT 1st + Marincin. Marincin might be a good d-man, but I don't think he brings enough offence from the back end, and we need that ASAP.

I'd trade Teddy Purcell @ 1 mill retained for Bryan Bickell. Brings real size for us, gives Chicago cap relief to resign Seabrook since Purcell's contract is a year shorter.

I'd rather give Oesterle a shot than give up 2 assets for Gardiner. I'd give those pieces for Anderson. At least he can steal us some games.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Id give Boychuk 7x4 and move Ference or Nikitin out at deadline next year.

Id also make an offer to Petry again lol

Then I would make an offer for Enroth whatever it would take to get him because he is a beauty to watch IMO and has a solid starter potential.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Id give Boychuk 7x4 and move Ference or Nikitin out at deadline next year.

Id also make an offer to Petry again lol

Then I would make an offer for Enroth whatever it would take to get him because he is a beauty to watch IMO and has a solid starter potential.

I think MacT came close to implying that he would do just that at his press conference. That would be pretty hilarious.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd rather give Oesterle a shot than give up 2 assets for Gardiner. I'd give those pieces for Anderson. At least he can steal us some games.

I dunno I think at some point we need players who can actually produce offence off the back end. Gardiner isn't perfect, but the player we take with Pittsburgh's pick will likely require 4-5 years of development.

That just isn't good enough for us, we need help now and Justin Schultz can't be the only one giving you any offence off the back end.

This was the problem with Petry too ... he doesn't produce much offence from the back end.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
MacT has pretty well stated that the players signed now will be on the team next year. He had a chance to move Ference & Purcell for late picks but wanted to keep them for the veteran presence for next year.

Here is what we are going in with for next year:

Hall; RNH; Eberle - 18mil
Pouliot: $; Yak(2.5)- 6.5mil
?; Lander .800; Purcel- 5.3mil
Hendricks; Gordon; Klink- 5.75mil
Spare players - 1.7mil

I am not saying these are the pairing but this is what we have for dmen

Nikitin; Fayne- 8.175mil
Klefbom; Schultz- 5.675(I am guessing Klef at 2mil and Schultz the same cap hit)
Ference; ? - 3.25
Spare dman- .900

Scrivens - 2.3mil

Total cap hit - 57.55mil
I am guessing the cap will be at 70 mil leaving us with 12.45mil to sign a 2C; 3rd line left winger; a dman and a goalie

MacT has already stated that he will not be trading away any of the players to improve another position. He is keeping our 1st round pick but the other picks are available.

ON a positive note Purcel; Nikitin, Gordon, & Scrivens are all of the books next year giving us cap space of 14.3mil

What is the best you can do to improve this team for next year?
Resign Roy
Go after Boychuk
Go after Soderberg
Who can you trade for realistically without moving players on this team now?

What a bloody joke. 12m to not even enough to sign a goalie and #1 dman. Where are all the geniuses that wanted Petry back here at $5m to be a #3 dman?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I dunno I think at some point we need players who can actually produce offence off the back end. Gardiner isn't perfect, but the player we take with Pittsburgh's pick will likely require 4-5 years of development.

That just isn't good enough for us, we need help now and Justin Schultz can't be the only one giving you any offence off the back end.

This was the problem with Petry too ... he doesn't produce much offence from the back end.

Oilers will need to those prospects to pan out when Hall, RNH, Eberle are UFAs and are asking bigger $$$. Our cupboard is thinning. We need to restock. This year is to the year to do so.

Gardiner doesn't provide enough offense to command a 1st + Marincin. I'd wait for Marincin and Klefbom to develop. They still have uptapped offensive potential. The reason we don't see their offensive game is because they were given shut down assignments. Klefbom is on the verge off breaking out cause the coach trusts him more now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers will need to those prospects to pan out when Hall, RNH, Eberle are UFAs and are asking bigger $$$. Our cupboard is thinning. We need to restock. This year is to the year to do so.

Gardiner doesn't provide enough offense to command a 1st + Marincin. I'd wait for Marincin and Klefbom to develop. They still have uptapped offensive potential. The reason we don't see their offensive game is because they were given shut down assignments. Klefbom is on the verge off breaking out cause the coach trusts him more now.

Klefbom does, I'm not seeing it with Marincin though to be honest. Outlet pass is average. Shot is average/poor.

I don't see him being able to generate big offence from the back end.

Gardiner had 10 goals last season and is only 23. If Toronto is willing to go willy-nilly with their scorched earth rebuild, I'd consider it.

Honestly what are the odds that the player we get with the PIT pick is better than Gardiner? Maybe 15%? And then you have to wait 3-5 years for them to be develop into a regular contributor here.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Klefbom does, I'm not seeing it with Marincin though to be honest. Outlet pass is average. Shot is average/poor.

I don't see him being able to generate big offence from the back end.

Gardiner had 10 goals last season and is only 23. If Toronto is willing to go willy-nilly with their scorched earth rebuild, I'd consider it.

Honestly what are the odds that the player we get with the PIT pick is better than Gardiner? Maybe 15%? And then you have to wait 3-5 years for them to be develop into a regular contributor here.

Any other draft year I'd agree with you. This year, the pick could be as high as 20th. You are looking at guys like Svechnikov, Rantanen, Konecny, Zacha and more. These are guys who could fall into Oilers lap. Those are huge building pieces.

Oilers do need more offense. But not more Schultz type who bleeds more goals than contribute to more goals.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Next year? Obviously I'd sit and wait until the season ended hope for the best, trade our pending UFA's for draft picks and be ready to walk up to the podium for our next future superstar. What else is there for the Oilers? :laugh:

Divine Wind

Dump Ference, Purcell, Nikitin.

Acquire Ehrhoff, Boychuk and Craig Anderson.

A healthy Oilers roster.

Oilers will be competing for playoffs next season no doubt.

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yak
Pakarinen-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer

Ehrhoff-Boychuk
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne

Anderson
Scrivens/Fasth

I like this, except you have Purcell bought out, then playing on the third line lol.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Just FYI, I moved the 'trade for Jones' discussion to the trade proposal thread

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Hall - Nugent Hopkins - Eberle (or upgrade)
Draisaitl - Roy - Yakupov
Pouliot - Eichel (hopefully) - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkhammer
Lander - Pitlick

Klefbom - Green (4 years @ 25 million, front end loaded, 7.5, 7, 5.5, 5)
Marincin - Schultz
Nikitin - Fayne
Oesterle

Buy out Ference.

Ward (MTL's 2nd and EDM's 3rd)
Scrivens

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Philly is so going to get one of Green or Boychuk by throwing a ridiculous contract at them. It would be so Philly.

Pouliot RNH Eberle
Hall Roy Yakupov
Draisaitl Lander Bickell
Hendricks Gordon Klink

I'd like that forward group (Leon starts in the AHL but eventually gets called up). Retain some of Purcell's salary and trade him for Bickell. Gets Chicago some badly needed cap relief for next summer so they can extend Seabrook.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
Next year? Obviously I'd sit and wait until the season ended hope for the best, trade our pending UFA's for draft picks and be ready to walk up to the podium for our next future superstar. What else is there for the Oilers? :laugh:

http://thehockeywriters.com/khl-business-25-million-dollars-to-win-regular-season-title/

http://thehockeywriters.com/what-ever-happened-to-alexander-radulov/

Radulov signed for $9.2 million per season. Thanks to the ruble dropping, he is only making $3.2 million this season. There are lots of Russian players with NHL experience available. :nod:

Linus Omark is leading KHL playoff scoring along with a +5. Too bad we traded Hartikainen's rights to Toronto - he is playing on the same team as & has much better stats than Anton Slepyshev (still in our pipeline).

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Tears-Nugent Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Tears-Yakupov
Pouliot-LanderTears
Henricks-Grodon-Pitlick

Tears-Tears
Klefbom-Tears
Nurse-Fayne

Tears
Tears

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
Speaking of next year, does any one have an update on the internal audit? Has it been completed? Really hoping that Nicholson dosnt pull any punches and leaves Katz will the conclusion that mgmt needs to be cleaned out

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Whatever it will be, you can guarantee that it will suck. And it will suck hard, and we're going to talk about it every day. And we'll pick in the top 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad