Rumor: Oilers talking to Kris Russell

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
True, the $4-5 is laughable though. Versteeg needs to still be signed.

If McDavid goes beast mode and cleans up his bonuses we'll end up over going into next year. Drai and Pulju could also hit bonuses as well potentially, who knows. Not worth it for Russell in my view.
Versteeg only has to be signed if one of our other rw's plays badly. Otherwise they just let him leave and say "thanks for showing up".

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If He's short term and relatively cheap, then 100% go for it EDM. For so long we have lacked depth D. He's not exxactly what we need though (second pairing right shooting offensive Dman)

This would push Nurse out of the NHL for this coming season, and bury Reinhart in the AHL for the foreseeable future as they won't have them sitting as 7th men.

klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Fayne
Russel - Davidson
Oesterle/Musil?

Actually I think after seeing Sekera and how well hes done on the right side in the WCH, PC is thinking more on the lines of..IMO of course.

KLef - Lars
Davidson - Sekera
Russell - Fayne
Oesterle/Musil

Nurse and Reinhart in the AHL

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Versteeg only has to be signed if one of our other rw's plays badly. Otherwise they just let him leave and say "thanks for showing up".

This. I'm not sure why some people are pencilling Versteeg into the lineup just because he's been offered a PTO.

Also, if he outplays Yak (which I don't think will happen), then Yak would be getting shipped off and you'd clear 2.5 (essentially what Versteeg may earn through bonuses).

I'm cool with Russel for 1 year at 4 mil. He and Davidson could make a nice pair.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
This. I'm not sure why some people are pencilling Versteeg into the lineup just because he's been offered a PTO.

Also, if he outplays Yak (which I don't think will happen), then Yak would be getting shipped off and you'd clear 2.5 (essentially what Versteeg may earn through bonuses).

I'm cool with Russel for 1 year at 4 mil. He and Davidson could make a nice pair.

Versteeg will easily outplay Yak, I dont know how anyone could think otherwise.

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
If the Oilers can acquire Russell watch out. Not an Oilers fan by any stretch of the imagination but you've got to pull for a team that's been so bad for so many years. Gett'er done Chiarelli

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If the Oilers can acquire Russell watch out. Not an Oilers fan by any stretch of the imagination but you've got to pull for a team that's been so bad for so many years. Gett'er done Chiarelli

Russell is a glorified bottom pairing dman that's servicable 2nd pairing guy on an awful team. He's no difference maker

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Russell is a glorified bottom pairing dman that's servicable 2nd pairing guy on an awful team. He's no difference maker

I agree with you that he is a bottom pairing dman but at least he is a servicable NHL veteren. One of the many reasons the Oiler's have been so bad is because they play AHL caliber players in their lineup. Russel-Fayne is much better than Aulie, Nikitin, Belov, Hunt etc.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I agree with you that he is a bottom pairing dman but at least he is a servicable NHL veteren. One of the many reasons the Oiler's have been so bad is because they play AHL caliber players in their lineup. Russel-Fayne is much better than Aulie, Nikitin, Belov, Hunt etc.
Deffinently, he'll help the Oilers but he still is meh lol

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
One year is disappointing. Could actually work out for Edmonton haha.

Will be entertaining to see how many of them change hats and say he brings more than his Corsi numbers. Seems like goal differential is the new stat of the week.

Honestly 1 year makes a hell of a lot more sense than two.

There's a good chance Nurse could steal his spot before the end ofseason. If that happens moving Russell for a pick is a lot easier if he's UFA vs. signed for another year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah, because incompetent people bring one of these to their team. (that's the Stanley Cup parade if you weren't aware).

Brian Burke won a cup with the Ducks - didn't stop him from being absolutely terrible as a GM with the Leafs.

Chia did some good things in Boston - then an awful lot of terrible things that got him fired. Seems to be more of the same with Edmonton.

Harambae

Sep 17, 2016
good shot blocker, obviously isn't the solution to the oilers defensive problem but he could be a piece of the puzzle

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
On a one year deal the cap dollars shouldn't matter too much to EDM as we have the space. It also allows us to trade him in the season if Nurse takes his spot/we aren't in playoff contention in where we would be able to gain another asset in exchange for nothing but $$$.

Having him on the third pairing would certainly add some more stability to our D.

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Fayne
Russel - Davidson
Musil

OR

Klefbom - Larsson
Davidson - Sekera
Russel - Fayne
Musil

Definitely not a playoff caliber D, Unless Davidson keeps progressing and Klefbom+Larsson have monster seasons. Still lacks a top four offensive righty.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Brian Burke won a cup with the Ducks - didn't stop him from being absolutely terrible as a GM with the Leafs.

Chia did some good things in Boston - then an awful lot of terrible things that got him fired. Seems to be more of the same with Edmonton.

What has Chia done to show he's incompetent at his job exactly?

The Oilers team going into this season should be much improved over what it was last season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

What "terrible" things has he done in Edmonton?

Did you see what the lineup looked like when he took over compared to now? It's worlds better now and I always thought the job of a GM was to improve the team. Still some work to do but he's done a great job of balancing out the roster. Now it needs to translate into wins for him to get any real praise.

Say what you want about Russell but he's a legit NHL Dman and a 1 year deal would be just fine. At least Chia is looking to improve the roster with proven NHL players and not looking to force prospects into roles without earning their spots.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Versteeg will easily outplay Yak, I dont know how anyone could think otherwise.

Based on what? Stronger resume? Not recently. I'll give Versteeg the nod when it comes to hockey sense/positioning, but theres not a single other area of the game where he's better than Yak. Yak plays way more physical, has a better shot, is the better skater, and is stronger.

Deployed the right way (first forechecker in), Yak can be an effective player without the puck. No doubt his positioning and processing of the game leaves a lot to be desired, but there's still a coachable kid there.

Versteeg's productivity was marginally better despite playing 2 more minutes per night pretty much exclusively in the top 6. Yak produced when he was in the top 6 (7 points in the final 10 games with Drai and Hall, 10 points in the first 12 games playing with Pouliot and McDavid).

Leaf fans had nothing good to say about Versteeg's presence in the locker room when he was there.

If we roll 3 scoring lines this year, Yak will be guaranteed a talented center to play with all year. I'd much rather give him one more (legit) opportunity than bring in a softie like Versteeg.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Pretty sure you won't get an answer to this. Too bad, because I'd love to hear it.

I've been happy with Chia for the most part, but there's been a few dud moves.

The worst one was the Reinhart trade. There were 2 guys who were top 10 talents that had dropped (thanks to Boston going off the board 3 picks in a row), and we passed on them to acquire a low ceiling LHD (our greatest area of strength in the prospect pool). It would have made way more sense to take Barzal/Connor at that spot (and this is not hindsight, I was ecstatic watching them drop to our pick). We didn't get a guy that helped us right away, and we didn't address an area of weakness. It was a bad deal.

Trading Gordon for Korpikoski (who had an extra year), all to make room for Letestu (who we're stuck with for 2 more years now). Then buying out Korpikoski this off-season (when Gordon would have been off the books anyway).

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Based on what? Stronger resume? Not recently. I'll give Versteeg the nod when it comes to hockey sense/positioning, but theres not a single other area of the game where he's better than Yak. Yak plays way more physical, has a better shot, is the better skater, and is stronger.

Deployed the right way (first forechecker in), Yak can be an effective player without the puck. No doubt his positioning and processing of the game leaves a lot to be desired, but there's still a coachable kid there.

Versteeg's productivity was marginally better despite playing 2 more minutes per night pretty much exclusively in the top 6. Yak produced when he was in the top 6 (7 points in the final 10 games with Drai and Hall, 10 points in the first 12 games playing with Pouliot and McDavid).

Leaf fans had nothing good to say about Versteeg's presence in the locker room when he was there.

If we roll 3 scoring lines this year, Yak will be guaranteed a talented center to play with all year. I'd much rather give him one more (legit) opportunity than bring in a softie like Versteeg.

Whereas I'd rather sign Versteeg AND Yakupov, start Pulju in the AHL, then trade Pouliot at the deadline. Not because I dislike Pouliot (I actually really like him) but because he is overpaid.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Whereas I'd rather sign Versteeg AND Yakupov, start Pulju in the AHL, then trade Pouliot at the deadline. Not because I dislike Pouliot (I actually really like him) but because he is overpaid.

I'd much rather have Pouliot in the lineup than Versteeg. I also think that Pulju will outplay Versteeg, but we'll see what happens. I know that some of my fellow Oiler fans are gun shy on playing guys directly out of the draft because there's a stigma that we "rush" players, but not all players are created equal. Pulju is as NHL ready as it gets - skating, hockey IQ, size and strength, shot. Todd McLellan will provide him with better coaching than he'd receive in the AHL

If Versteeg outplays Pulju, fine, I just don't see it happening. I want the best players making the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad