Rumor: Oilers talking to Kris Russell

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Totally agree, Maybe a 1 year in the $2.5 million to $3.5 million range. Is the best he can hope for.

Time to face reality. It's mid-September and no one is even considering him at $4-5M.

I agree with your assessment, somewhere in that range.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Even if the oilers have to pay up here, its not the end of the world since its only a 1 year deal (doesnt effect future resignings) and even if advanced stats makes people think that russell is a bad defenceman i would argue that he is still an upgrade over what the oilers have now so its a win win

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Time to face reality. It's mid-September and no one is even considering him at $4-5M.

I agree with your assessment, somewhere in that range.

Yup how did it work out for Cody Franson, He got nowhere near that much. And i doubt that Russell will either.

The 1 year $2.5 million to $3.5 million show me contract for Russell, Should be a more realistic kind of deal. And then maybe get more next summer.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Dont want really, wouldn't mind him at on a one year deal but i'd pass. Cant believe what this guy returned at the deadline. Maybe you sign him and fool another team but I dont want to be sellers this season.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Even if the oilers have to pay up here, its not the end of the world since its only a 1 year deal (doesnt effect future resignings) and even if advanced stats makes people think that russell is a bad defenceman i would argue that he is still an upgrade over what the oilers have now so its a win win

Need to be aware of our cap situation. Still need to sign Versteeg, and it's safe to assume bonuses will be hit. We don't want a cap penalty going into next year, Drai is due for a raise next season.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yup how did it work out for Cody Franson, He got nowhere near that much. And i doubt that Russell will either.

The 1 year $2.5 million to $3.5 million show me contract for Russell, Should be a more realistic kind of deal. And then maybe get more next summer.

Exactly this. He's a 3rd pairing who can also get some PK minutes. No need to pay him anywhere near the ask.

Oilers won't have any interest in him at $4-5M. Just sign Gryba for $1M.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
((((The guy isn't even replacement level and he's gonna get 4-5))))

God bless you Chiarelli

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Need to be aware of our cap situation. Still need to sign Versteeg, and it's safe to assume bonuses will be hit. We don't want a cap penalty going into next year, Drai is due for a raise next season.

as per general fanager oilers have roughly 8.3 in cap space

if russell gets 5 im sure the oilers can sign versteeg for under 3.3

also a russell and versteeg signing would mean 15 forwards and 9 dmen for the oilers so im sure a few people will be sent down to give the oilers the additional cap flexibility (nurse, lander, kassian etc etc)

All in all i think signing russell to a 1 year deal is a very low risk and high reward deal for the oilers

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Exactly this. He's a 3rd pairing who can also get some PK minutes. No need to pay him anywhere near the ask.

Oilers won't have any interest in him at $4-5M. Just sign Gryba for $1M.

Yup giving Gryba a $1 million deal over giving Russell 1 year at $4-$5 million in the short term makes far more sense for the Oilers If Russell wants that much Chiarelli should let him sign elsewhere.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
as per general fanager oilers have roughly 8.3 in cap space

if russell gets 5 im sure the oilers can sign versteeg for under 3.3

also a russell and versteeg signing would mean 15 forwards and 9 dmen for the oilers so im sure a few people will be sent down to give the oilers the additional cap flexibility (nurse, lander, kassian etc etc)

All in all i think signing russell to a 1 year deal is a very low risk and high reward deal for the oilers

You're not considering bonuses. It's safe to think McDavid will hit bonuses, likely Drai and possibly others. We can't take a cap penalty going into next year when Drai comes off his ELC and we'll be looking to add players to help us reach our goal.

No chance we sign Russell for anywhere near $5. That's a joke. He's not getting that, he's got no leverage, he's unsigned in mid-September. $2.5-3.5 is more than fair, he's a bottom pairing D. No one is lining up to pay him that ridiculous ask. Who is tossing him that money?

Yup giving Gryba a $1 million deal over giving Russell 1 year at $4-$5 million in the short term makes far more sense for the Oilers If Russell wants that much Chiarelli should let him sign elsewhere.

Exactly. Sign Gryba, if Nurse is ready play him, ideally he's in the AHL, but if he's progressed and the best option to help us win, then he deserves a spot. He looks to have gained weight, in his off-season pictures he looks like an MMA fighter. He's likely put on at least 10 pounds to his frame. He played over 20 mins/game as a rookie on a terrible team. He was thrown to the wolves and held his own, had lots of mistakes as you would expect a young D man to have, but he also showed lots of flashes of what he can bring. Nurse is amongst the elite skaters for D men right now.

Gryba is solid as a #6 D. Right handed shot and he's tough, he matches our new identity. He is who he is, a bottom pairing guy who should get limited minutes but will play tough. He'll throw hits and protect the front of the net. He'll drop the gloves when necessary. More value in him at $1M than Russell at $4M, not even a tough decision.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How many millions of dollars did he burn by playing hard ball?

Asking $4-5, probably could have got $3.5 in July. Now likely somewhere around $2.5, it's mid-September.

He's worth $2.5ish, no one is overpaying. No one is lining up to toss money at him, he wants to be in his home province. He's got 0 leverage on the Oilers. If he doesn't budge from the $4M ask fine, all the best. Zero interest.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You're not considering bonuses. It's safe to think McDavid will hit bonuses, likely Drai and possibly others. We can't take a cap penalty going into next year when Drai comes off his ELC and we'll be looking to add players to help us reach our goal.

No chance we sign Russell for anywhere near $5. That's a joke. He's not getting that, he's got no leverage, he's unsigned in mid-September. $2.5-3.5 is more than fair, he's a bottom pairing D. No one is lining up to pay him that ridiculous ask. Who is tossing him that money?

Exactly. Sign Gryba, if Nurse is ready play him, ideally he's in the AHL, but if he's progressed and the best option to help us win, then he deserves a spot. He looks to have gained weight, in his off-season pictures he looks like an MMA fighter. He's likely put on at least 10 pounds to his frame. He played over 20 mins/game as a rookie on a terrible team. He was thrown to the wolves and held his own, had lots of mistakes as you would expect a young D man to have, but he also showed lots of flashes of what he can bring. Nurse is amongst the elite skaters for D men right now.

Gryba is solid as a #6 D. Right handed shot and he's tough, he matches our new identity. He is who he is, a bottom pairing guy who should get limited minutes but will play tough. He'll throw hits and protect the front of the net. He'll drop the gloves when necessary. More value in him at $1M than Russell at $4M, not even a tough decision.

While I agree with the sentiment here, a lot of us also said there was "no way" we would trade Hall 1 for 1 for numerous defensemen of Larsson's caliber, so I think we don't know Chiarelli nearly well enough to say whether or not there is "no way" he does a lot of things. I didn't think we'd invite anyone decent for a PTO either, and low and behold, we have Versteeg coming to camp. :laugh:

Signing Russell for anything more than $3 million is a collossal mistake. Anything over $2, just a minor mistake. 2 or under, meh, no big deal.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
While I agree with the sentiment here, a lot of us also said there was "no way" we would trade Hall 1 for 1 for numerous defensemen of Larsson's caliber, so I think we don't know Chiarelli nearly well enough to say whether or not there is "no way" he does a lot of things. I didn't think we'd invite anyone decent for a PTO either, and low and behold, we have Versteeg coming to camp. :laugh:

Signing Russell for anything more than $3 million is a collossal mistake. Anything over $2, just a minor mistake. 2 or under, meh, no big deal.

True, the $4-5 is laughable though. Versteeg needs to still be signed.

If McDavid goes beast mode and cleans up his bonuses we'll end up over going into next year. Drai and Pulju could also hit bonuses as well potentially, who knows. Not worth it for Russell in my view.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes, simply signing him would suffice.

Depends on the dollar amount. There are far worse defensemen kicking around the league than Kris Russell. If we bring him in to play bottom pair with some PK time, or even better as a #7 who fills in if injuries hit, and pay him accordingly, then signing him isn't a bad deal at all. Depth is good. We have lacked defensive depth for years. Expecting him to come in as a 2nd pair guy and giving him 4-5 like Bobby Mac thinks would be awful though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad