Rumor: Oilers talking to Kris Russell

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
If its short term and cheap I don't see why not

That would be the issue. If Russell is willing to go short term and cheap, he would have plenty of suitors.

If he is aiming to score on one or the other, then the list of teams shrinks.

So, if a player is going to go down to that, he'd likely aim for a place that would be able to increase his value. Not sure if Edmonton is the place for him to do that. Not exactly known for improving a D man's value.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That would be the issue. If Russell is willing to go short term and cheap, he would have plenty of suitors.

So, if a player is going to go down to that, he'd likely aim for a place that would be able to increase his value. Not sure if Edmonton is the place for him to do that. Not exactly known for improving a D man's value.

If he wants to find himself on a playoff team come trade deadline time, this is probably his best method to get a decent payday while doing so. Edmonton has a bit of cap space and a need for a PPQB. Having the Oilers pay the majority of his salary for the year and then flipping him for assets at the deadline is a win-win for both parties.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

There aren't too many teams looking to add a 2nd pairing D of Russell's quality, most of those that are aren't going to help Russell make money.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
1-2 year deal for around 2-2.5M I would be good with.

Agreed... as we found out last year, nothing wrong with depth. We can't continue to expose our rookies (young guys) to the wolves. A couple injuries and that what we would be doing again.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Agreed... as we found out last year, nothing wrong with depth. We can't continue to expose our rookies (young guys) to the wolves. A couple injuries and that what we would be doing again.

McDavid has 2 more years on his ELC. I could live with a 2 two year deal, Drai needs a pay raise after this year. He's looking at $5-6 million/year.

Russell on a 2 year deal for $2.5/year works for me as a 3rd pairing D. Lets us keep Nurse and Reinhart in the AHL, and lets Nurse be "the guy" on the Condors.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Sucks that he is left handed but he'd be a good addition regardless.

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Sekera
Davidson - Nurse/Fayne

Sekera has played on the right side in the past and has done well. The only true 'liability' is Nurse assuming he plays as he did last season. I'm praying he takes a step forward this year. If he does, the defence looks pretty league average which is great news for the Oilers.

Alternately, have Nurse in the minors developing and Fayne on the third pair. He is a decent D man if he plays sheltered minutes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What would he bring to our team? Based on what I'm trying to recall I believe that he was a good skater and passer but wasn't very big.

Oilers could use another good outlet pass, though I think Adam Larsson also improves this aspect by a lot.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
What would he bring to our team? Based on what I'm trying to recall I believe that he was a good skater and passer but wasn't very big.
Don't let his size fool you, he grew up on a ranch breaking horses and riding bulls, he's the type of guy you go to war with, real character/leadership, good puck mover and lead the league in blocked shots over the last 2-3 years.

There's a real reason Dallas gave up a lot to get him at the deadline.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Russell would essentially steal Oesterle's potential spot (not a bad thing).

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Russel

He'd bump Nurse down to the AHL for a bit more seasoning (again, not a bad thing). Plus it would have the team almost featuring Larsson in an offensive role; that could be interesting... Though that does look like a fairly solid defence to my eye.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
I don't see Russell improving the Oilers that much while allocating dollars and a roster spot which could be used to get what the Oilers really need: A PP, puck moving right hand shot defenceman.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So why hasn't anyone signed him?

Last couple years Hartley had Russell playing as Calgary's #3 defenseman. So now he wanted to be paid like one; reports had him looking for 5.5M per for 5 years.

Obviously the market for that just isn't there anymore. A flat cap makes GM's wary of more Andrew MacDonald types of deals.

He's a good #5 and an acceptable #4 which is worth around 3-4M. He should get somewhere around that on a short term deal.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

He's a mobile dman with good passing. Strong PK'er as well. He had the A in Calgary for a reason. I hope the Oilers don't get him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't see Russell improving the Oilers that much while allocating dollars and a roster spot which could be used to get what the Oilers really need: A PP, puck moving right hand shot defenceman.
How many of those are on the market?

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
How many of those are on the market?

Possibly:

Trouba (If presented with the right offer)

Ristolainen (Doubtful but maybe)

Montour (I think if a team takes a bad contract from the Ducks he could be had)

Shattenkirk (Would be a big gamble if he doesn't commit to signing)

Franson (Make room for Ristolainen?)

Then there are bottom pairing guys:

Wideman

Wisnieksi (If he doesn't make the Lightning)

Boyle (Is he retired)

Nakladal (Flames fans seem to think highly of him and he's Czech top pairing)

Zidlicky (He would strictly be a PP guy with some real nice zone starts)

Gilbert (He could be had on the cheap)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

He'll always be a few feet behind the blue line in case there is an offensive zone turnover. You'll pretty much never have a breakaway against with Kris Russell on the ice, and if you have a 2-on-1 he will probably manage to break that up too.

Here's what I posted when he got traded to the Stars.

Defensively
- Always in great position defending the rush, but makes zone entries pretty easy. Would really benefit from a Kronwall type partner.
- His breakout is basically a chip along the side walls. He'll rarely if ever make bad turnovers through the slot but he'll rarely if ever make great breakout passes through the slot.
- Brilliant skater, both backwards and forwards. Good PKer for that reason, he wins foot races. On the rare occasion he decides to go coast-to-coast he can bring a smile to your face with his speed, but that's not really his game.
- Not very strong, but he does battle.
- He blocks more shot attempts than other guys do. I believe it was posted elsewhere that he blocks ~15% of shot attempts whereas most guys block ~10%.

Will stand up for teammates:

Offensively, he's a smart player and he's good a good wrister, but don't expect him to QB your power play or get dozens of shots on net, that's not his game. He uses his edgework mostly to dump the puck into the corners under pressure. He's the equivalent of a 10 goal scoring Dman.

I would prefer Russell return to Calgary as our #5/#6 than go to a hated division rival like Edmonton or Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad