I am bot
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Bot’s Motel
IMG_5418.jpeg

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Didn't watch game one (mercifully) but I saw this one. It wasn't like the Oilers totally sucked or anything, but it's clear that the big players are hugely underperforming. The team collectively has lost the eye of the tiger.
rocky-rockyiv-apollo-creed-stallone-carlweathers-bromance-bros-beach-fun-training-guys-americans-positivity-boxing-brosbeforehos.gif

Hard to see how this season's going to go. On the one hand, the club is Western Conference champs and have shown the ability to more than overcome slow starts. So, this might just be an unfortunate blip.

On the other hand, the Oilers are the oldest team in the League, and have a soft defence core. After high priced / big name additions to what was seemingly already a good offence, the club now has zero ES goals in two games (no, Perry's doesn't count).

It's just a matter of the club finding its identity again. It seems they need to go through this process EVERY year.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
We lost a lot of speed since last year, I still don't understand why we didn't resign Holloway and kept someone like Perry. Our PK looks way worse so far, and for some reason the PP is really predictable.

There is nothing gelling on the Draisaitl line at all, lets hope it happens.

Our biggest problems are defence and goaltending. Ceci and Broberg would look pretty friggin good right now. There is no way we can continue with Nurse, even if he plays better, he will never be a 9 mil player. I would package him up with draft pics whatever and move him. The dmen we could pick up for that 9 mil would be way batter. I was hoping Skinner would be solid this year but he seems to be the same old Skinner, he can play pretty good for some games and then complete trash in others. You can't win with that kind of goalie.

We've lost all our top draft picks and prospects. I still would have liked to see Lavoie on Draisaitl's wing for a few games, the kid had a gun and had size. Leon would have gotten him the puck.

They are sleep walking right now as the masses are predicting them for the cup, BS you still have to play the games and they aren't even close. McDavid being upstaged by Bedard....not cool. The Knob needs to get in the room and start reading the riot act, no more lack luster f**king around.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
"Ok guys. Remember what Woody's numerologist said last year. October is the 10th month so we're only allowed to actually play for ten minutes per game in October. Got us to the finals didn't It? So hold back guys. No trying too hard out there."

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I, seriously, do not understand this.
I mean it’s pretty easy.
1- We replaced a bunch of speedy players with slower players.
2- We downgraded our defence and Nurse looks as bad as he did last year.
3- Our goaltending has fallen back down to earth (for their ability)
4- McDrai and co are either still sad OR think regular season is beneath them.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I mean it’s pretty easy.
1- We replaced a bunch of speedy players with slower players.
2- We downgraded our defence and Nurse looks as bad as he did last year.
3- Our goaltending has fallen back down to earth (for their ability)
4- McDrai and co are either still sad OR think regular season is beneath them.
5. McDrai is another year older as well and Drai is on a kedge anchor contract

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Ty "can't be worse than Ceci" Emberson was -2 in only 14:39 minutes...lowest time among defensemen

no wonder Grier had no problem throwing him into the trade
Emerson looks like AHL fodder, Stecher better be drawing in next game. Granted Dermott is also ass, what a shocker that is….

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Feel I could dig up my old posts from this time last year and just repost them. I don't disagree that they look horrible to start, but I'm not worried. And I'm not panicking. Lots of reasons (or excuses, YMMV) for this start and we all know this group never makes things easy on themselves. This train will get rolling here soon.

Also, Bedard has a pretty sick release.

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
I should know better than to watch the first 15 games of the season. This team is so bad at the start of every year. It's amazing how we can't score either. I guess like last year, I'll watch Arizona, I mean Utah for now. At least the effort is there every night with them.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I, seriously, do not understand this.
Easy to understand when you don't have a meaningful training camp with any competition for jobs.

Defense was seriously downgraded and goaltending the wasn't upgraded.

This could go on for awhile. Every team brings their best against the cup favorites.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Stuff like this must drive the coach nuts. Bedard's goal was literally a 5 on 2 because McDavid and Drai were just standing below the goal line and not even moving.

1728830675207.png

1728830734105.png

The D sucks, but it's no secret that the forwards make it way harder for them than it should.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I can't believe Gleason wouldn't be better than a few of our dmen. Why don't we give him a chance?

My thoughts exactly. Gleason is better than Dermott, Emberson, etc but for some reason always gets sent down despite strong preseason performances. You don’t need to be a scout or coach to see that the wrong player is down on the farm. Our evaluation of talent is actually pretty gross.

Reactions: InTheBox

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wake me when the Oilers are ready to play NHL hockey. I had plans so I couldn't watch anyway but I'm sort of apathetic right now knowing that they would do this out of the gate so I didn't have a ton of interest trying to watch this game.

I said this after last game, one of these seasons they're not going to dig out of the early hole. Who knows, this could be that season. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: FlameChampion

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Staples had Nurse as the best dman on the night lmao

One shift he f'ed up 4 consecutive passes and a classic needless icing.

He had 3 classic downlow skates that he just threw away as per usual, then couldn't hit the net on a prime slot chance

Just for context, watch Thomas Harley play. He cycles downlow alot, and last nite he did several times and it always ended up on a teamates stick.

Nurse has to go.That contract is holding the team back bigtime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad