Post-Game Talk: Oilers suffer from narcolepsy again to start the season

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That’s two coaches now that have completely wasted preseason.

Tippett, for all his faults, at least knew how to run a preseason properly. Spend the first few games playing prospects who actually have a shot with some of your top players to see if there is anything there, then spend the last games generating line chemistry by playing your expected lines.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
That’s two coaches now that have completely wasted preseason.

Tippett, for all his faults, at least knew how to run a preseason properly. Spend the first few games playing prospects who actually have a shot with some of your top players to see if there is anything there, then spend the last games generating line chemistry by playing your expected lines.

They were both rookies. Could be a coincidence, but probably not

Reactions: Cloned

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I recall he was also one of the few that gave shit early last season during that slump as well. The epic "what is anybody here going to do" chirp in the heritage classic and Kane's intensity is what this team could use right now.

I mean all this stuff is likely window dressing anyway ... if McDavid/Drai/RNH/Bouchard/Hyman want to play at like they haven't touched a puck in 14 months, welp you're really just talking about rearranging deck chairs.

Kane had intensity last year sure, and we were also 2-9-1 and bottomed out by losing to the worst team in the league.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Because Jeff Jackson stresses analytics beyond anything else. Note that the team has had good corsi in these two games. Which means jacksquat to me ever but for analytics guys.

This is a crazy roster to put together. Again wheres the hits, wheres the fight, wheres the grit, wheres the speed. This is the wierdest lineup put together in the McDrai arc which is saying something.

jebus even Chiarelli wouldn't put a team together with so little fight to it.

The type of players we need we've let go. Man even Lavoie plays with some edge and can play a big boy game.
They came close to success last year but I'm fearful they botched it and took a step back. McCloud had a lot of haters but did a lot of things right. No problem trading him but not for a return that is needed NOW to replace what he did, not in the future. And they knew Kane would be lost for significant amount of time. Replacement for that sandpaper? None. Desharnais couldn't fight worth shit but he tried and was a mini mean Pronger with his stick. So who do we get instead? Couple of 2nd pairing ECHL guys to my eyes. And to that, we have 2 D in the minors who I've watched for over 3 and 5 years each, that are miles better than the 2 we have here. Why?

Long season though. Maybe it all falls into place soon

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Need more Jeff Jackson memes. he put Frankenstein together.

Heres an easy question. What holes in roster did we fill in offseason.

I mean the two forwards he signed to help Draisaitl have probably been the best offensive line so far. The only ones looking like they have a pulse in the offensive zone.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
This could get really quick ugly... especially after next game.

Still hoping for the best.

Please show up tomorrow.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They came close to success last year but I'm fearful they botched it and took a step back. McCloud had a lot of haters but did a lot of things right. No problem trading him but not for a return that is needed NOW to replace what he did, not in the future. And they knew Kane would be lost for significant amount of time. Replacement for that sandpaper? None. Desharnais couldn't fight worth shit but he tried and was a mini mean Pronger with his stick. So who do we get instead? Couple of 2nd pairing ECHL guys to my eyes. And to that, we have 2 D in the minors who I've watched for over 3 and 5 years each, that are miles better than the 2 we have here. Why?

Long season though. Maybe it all falls into place soon
You know I liked McLeod. Holloway was starting to come I thought and would always bring the grit anyway. Team lost so mush speed and forecheck. We lost 4 fast players in offseason and didn't really replace. WE should definitely bring Stecher in for some skating pace on back end.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The 8 game pre-season was absolutely a joke.

Management and coaches knew exactly what the roster was going to be to start the season... it was essentially written in pen before camp began... or else players like Gleason/Philp/Lavoie should have all had looks on this roster based on pre-season performances.

The one guy they added... Dermott has been no better than Gleason would have been. No idea why he was even signed... although I don't hate the player... he's another meh dman who makes no difference whatsoever.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
You know, going all the way back to the Oil Kings if Bill Hunter put a team like this together in hockey, in a bloodsport that had so little teeth fans would just stop coming. You can only have so many fancy dancers in a roster. Jeff Jackson figures its all you need at forward.

I mean its shockng right. This Oilers franchise that had Semenko, Brown, McSorley and has had some of the best hitters and hitting clubs in hockey now figures that none of that even features. When people talk about this club being hard to like its because huge ingredients are missing in this roster. Its not even like we can bring up what we need. We don't have enough role players in the system that can step in.

Typically a club having trouble scoring will start bringing the hits and energy. We can't even do that effectively with this roster.
Great point. Very frustrating to watch the players get frustrated with they're finesse game not working, only to keep trying it instead of KISS. PP not in sync for example and Hawks actually doing great job just getting in lanes but do they just try to drop to Bouchard for bombs with 18 in front? Nope. Pass pass pass blocked or stick in way then cleared.

We absolutely were the Flin Flons of the nhl in the 80s! Christ even the missing 'Link' took a few laps around the Coliseum! Remember that?!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I mean all this stuff is likely window dressing anyway ... if McDavid/Drai/RNH/Bouchard/Hyman want to play at like they haven't touched a puck in 14 months, welp you're really just talking about rearranging deck chairs.

Kane had intensity last year sure, and we were also 2-9-1 and bottomed out by losing to the worst team in the league.

I think coming off game 7 stanley cup final loss is a different dynamic contributing the slow start this year. I can see those names you mentioned finding it hard to get up for games this early in the season, after the summit of emotions they experienced.

Regardless, they're going to have to find motivation as home ice advantage is far more conducive to playoff success.

edit: also I might add, if i remember correctly it was Kane's intensity and play that helped right the ship after that slow record last year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I mean the two forwards he signed to help Draisaitl have probably been the best offensive line so far. The only ones looking like they have a pulse in the offensive zone.
But it doesn't fill any team need. Man, we could have just put Holloway or Savoie or Lavoie in there and be fine. We'd have more pace and fight and dig on that line. TRust me the more RV gets nailed into the boards the less good he's going to look. Skinner has never played in the WC either. He'll find the season a lot harder here and especially given teams will be gunning for Oilers every night this season.

We need some guys in topsix that are strong and can handle some heat. I don't think we got the right guys for what we'll need. We got goals, yes. But takes other ingredients to have a successful season.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Need more Jeff Jackson memes. he put Frankenstein together.

Heres an easy question. What holes in roster did we fill in offseason.

So that would be the same as the previous 8 years then?

Arvidsson and Skinner look good, it's not JJ's fault McDavid/RNH/Hyman all look drunk as a top line and Bouchard is taking and extra half second to shoot every single time which might as well be 3 days in hockey terms. Draisaitl is not on top of his game either, he can damn well play better than that. With I see that with 5 players, I'm thinking this is a "not over the Cup Finals" thing for sure.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We look the same as the beginning of last season…shitty goaltending, leaky defense, and forwards being too cute with the puck. PK also sucking once again. I bet we continue to blow chunks until the inevitable firing of the coach.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Great point. Very frustrating to watch the players get frustrated with they're finesse game not working, only to keep trying it instead of KISS. PP not in sync for example and Hawks actually doing great job just getting in lanes but do they just try to drop to Bouchard for bombs with 18 in front? Nope. Pass pass pass blocked or stick in way then cleared.

We absolutely were the Flin Flons of the nhl in the 80s! Christ even the missing 'Link' took a few laps around the Coliseum! Remember that?!
Oh yeah, I remember. Flin Flon, Medicine Hat. Some tough hombres in the WCHL and you had to be able to play that way or die out there.

The Oil kings in prior decades always believed that team tough was a necessary ingredient. Until the hope era when they somehow felt guys like Paajarvi and Omark could be difference makers. lol. The org lost its way somewhere, and sometimes still lost.

You watch McD and Drai play all these years and they know grit is missing in lineup. Why they've adopted so much of that role. Its a lot to ask of your superstars and especially when guys like Darnell Nurse are now pacifists.

It was easier to cheer for Ronnie Low hockey.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
The Bowman hire. The way the offersheets where handled. Lavoie. Loosing our young group. Vinnie.

So many weird decisions.

I feel apathy.

Just stopped carrying.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But it doesn't fill any team need. Man, we could have just put Holloway or Savoie or Lavoie in there and be fine. We'd have more pace and fight and dig on that line. TRust me the more RV gets nailed into the boards the less good he's going to look. Skinner has never played in the WC either. He'll find the season a lot harder here and especially given teams will be gunning for Oilers every night this season.

We need some guys in topsix that are strong and can handle some heat. I don't think we got the right guys for what we'll need. We got goals, yes. But takes other ingredients to have a successful season.
It was a team need though. One of the bigger issues the last few years was that Drai had no wingers to play with.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad