Proposal: Oilers Offseason Adjustment

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
With Bouchard and Broberg in the fold and the possibility of a Klefbom return I don’t want to swing for the fences on a huge contract for Hamilton.

We need 3 top 6 forwards and that’s if RNH stays which based on some of the $$ amounts mentioned for him I’m not on board with.

I’d rather Holland target guys like Coleman, Saad, Goodrow or Schwartz. Get support guys with strong 2 way games. This club needs scoring depth/forward depth. We need guys capable of getting those greasy goals. Of playing playoff hockey when there’s less pp opportunities

Agreed 100%. Holland finally has freedom to get some depth for McDrai. I think doing that while also incorporating the youth (Bouchard, McLeod, etc) will lead this team to cup aspirations.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Bye bye RNH. The clear definition of a purely average player. Neal is also gone, Kassian, Larsson and I would trade Bear while he still has value.

If the Oilers are serious, they should try to make a serious offer for Barclay Goodrow. He is what they need in the bottom 6.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I hate to lose him, but Edmonton and Buchnevich is close to a perfect fit in a trade.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Right. And Oilers fans who thought their team was good weren't being delusional?

Oilers fans are realistic about this season. We all said we should NOT go all-in and yet HFers kept saying we should trade our futures for a run this season. We understand our situation. We finally have some cap space this offseason and free of most bad Chia deals (except Kosko). We'll lose a young D in the expansion draft too but we have lots of them in the pipeline.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Right. And Oilers fans who thought their team was good weren't being delusional?
We’ll be disappointed that we lost the series so quickly but not many Oilers fan thought this was the year. No delusion here, this summer is when Holland will be judged. He will finally have cap space to work with so we’ll see what he does with it.

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Oilers are in a tough spot. RNH has disappointed but they need to keep whatever talent they have behind McDavid and Draisaitl. Full Stop.

Your offseason plan can't be "Sign 5-6 Free Agents for 1-2 million below what each of them expect to receive"

I remember Oilers fans being pissed at Eberle after their first playoffs with McDavid and they were happy they traded him for Strome. How has that worked out? Same with Hall. They said he was a one-trick-pony and packed his bags when he wasn't the problem either. Both guys were on solid contracts. Larsson has been okay, but I think every team in the league would have preferred Hall both now and then. He won the fricking MVP after they traded him. You can't just get pissed at players for not living up to expectations and dump them with no plan. RNH has put up 0.7 ppg like clockwork since he was drafted.

Puljujarvi is only okay, Kassian has regressed, Neal is a buyout waiting to happen, Chaisson is gone, Khaira is a mediocre bottom-6er, the Turris experiment hasn't worked, Kahun is going to be 26 year old with under 200 NHL games, and Yamamoto has regressed. Realistically, if they let RNH go, they might have Puljujarvi (and maybe Yamamoto) as the only guy left who can score 20 goals. Oh, and Pool-party already asked for a trade once!

I also hear Oilers fans thinking they can just let Barrie go? This is not a good idea. Dude was the leading scorer among defenseman in the whole league. That could backfire badly. At least with Barrie the oilers have some replacement options, Barrie is getting older, and he's coming off a career year, so it might be hard to get him signed to something reasonable. The Oilers have no replacement for RNH and no cap room or available FAs to replace him.

The Oilers could very well finish bottom-3 if they let both Barrie and RNH go and aren't able to fix their goaltending. How is it going to look in the Summer of 2022 when the Oilers finish Bottom-3, Nurse bolts, and Draisaitl/McDavid have only a few years left on their contracts while facing a long rebuild again?

Letting quality top-6 players leave for very little return is bad (See Maroon, Hall, Eberle, Perron, Strome, etc..)

Reactions: SI

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I think the more realistic question is how much longer are 97 & 29 willing to put up with this crap while having to live in Edmonton
Lowry and Laughton just re upped in the 3’s of Hyman pushes into the mid 4’s-5 then you probably can find a better use of the money, Toronto or anyone really.

Reactions: north49er

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Oilers priority #1 needs to be goaltending.

If RNH walks, then taking that 6 or 7 m and redistributing to acquire to strong 2 way players - Blake Coleman has mentioned several times and that’s a good call. Danault could be a huge grab for them too - if he’d sign there.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Oilers priority #1 needs to be goaltending.

If RNH walks, then taking that 6 or 7 m and redistributing to acquire to strong 2 way players - Blake Coleman has mentioned several times and that’s a good call. Danault could be a huge grab for them too - if he’d sign there.

Danault refused a 5 x 5 offer from Montreal, so unless Coleman comes dirt cheap, you won't get Danault

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Drai for Seth jones......

Edm- Let Larsson walk and use money to resign RNH and go with McD and RNH as your top 2 Cs.

CBJ - They get a 1C to feed Laine

win - win

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Hyman Under 5 million
Hamilton less than 8
Andersen at less than 5

So every UFA is taking below market value to what play in EDM? I get that Andersen has not had a great year but I suspect if he does sign for 4 million it would be a one year show me deal. As for Hamilton and Hyman dear lord.

Not to mention the dysfunction that has plagued this team. Tippett may very well be gone which means another coaching change and a completely unbalanced team with multiple bad contracts.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Bye bye RNH. The clear definition of a purely average player. Neal is also gone, Kassian, Larsson and I would trade Bear while he still has value.

If the Oilers are serious, they should try to make a serious offer for Barclay Goodrow. He is what they need in the bottom 6.

Goodrow is near the top of my list. We don’t need big name free agents we need solid 2 way guys. I’m also hoping Larsson is back. He’s an excellent #4. If over the next two season our D looks like

Nurse - Bouchard
Broberg - Larsson
Samorukov - Bear

I’d be pretty pleased. Hopefully Klefbom can make a return also and we’d be pretty solid. Bear is good as a bottom pairing guy and doesn’t make much money so we just need a coach who won’t play him top 4 especially not top pairing in the damn playoffs. The money we have needs to go to a goalie and some solid top 9 guys.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think adding a couple of legit top sixers really helps fix a lot of the problem. If McDrai each had a guy who could finish even half of the chances they create nobody cares about the bottom six not driving offence and they can stay on their own lines. They should be currently anyways.

So many missed opportunities in these three games against the Jets cause of no finish.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If the Oilers end up falling to the Jets they probably look to capitalize on the cap space they have coming off the books and acquire 3-4 great top 6/9 players to give support to 97 and 29. Was playing around on capfriednly and worked out this lineup.

Let me know thoughts and whether the loves are realistic and doable.

Majority of the moves come from UFA

Added hyman(who I hope and believe the leafs keep but just for fun thinking he'd be a perfect fit on oilers), Coleman, Hoffman, Hamilton, Andersen, Martinez and then dumped off Koskinen, Neal for cap savings using picks/prospects. The koskinen deal might need to have the prospect upgraded or the 3rd become a 2nd maybe
Free agents just don’t want to sign In EDM even with those 2 horses. It’s a shame.
How about to EDM Buchnevich, Georgiev
To NY EDM 1st this year or next plus ??? I don’t know
Something like this as a framework ?

Buch is Taylor made to play RW with either McD or Drai.
He’s a much more complete player then Hoffman. Buch plays an abrasive style, very good on PK, hands, vision, he’s not small. He would be excellent in playoff hockey, and to boot scored at a PPG this year. No one on the rangers wants to trade him, but Kakko and Kravtsov need minutes and unless some miracle happens and kreider wants to waive his NMC, Buch is going to price himself out of NY

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1