Proposal: Oilers Offseason Adjustment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Free agents just don’t want to sign In EDM even with those 2 horses. It’s a shame.
How about to EDM Buchnevich, Georgiev
To NY EDM 1st this year or next plus ??? I don’t know
Something like this as a framework ?

Buch is Taylor made to play RW with either McD or Drai.
He’s a much more complete player then Hoffman. Buch plays an abrasive style, very good on PK, hands, vision, he’s not small. He would be excellent in playoff hockey, and to boot scored at a PPG this year. No one on the rangers wants to trade him, but Kakko and Kravtsov need minutes and unless some miracle happens and kreider wants to waive his NMC, Buch is going to price himself out of NY
Bern used to go post constantly about a Buch + Georgie for Broberg + and now I wish we hadn't all laughed. Buchnevich really came on.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Free agents just don’t want to sign In EDM even with those 2 horses. It’s a shame.

He’s a much more complete player then Hoffman. Buch plays an abrasive style, very good on PK, hands, vision, he’s not small. He would be excellent in playoff hockey, and to boot scored at a PPG this year. No one on the rangers wants to trade him, but Kakko and Kravtsov need minutes and unless some miracle happens and kreider wants to waive his NMC, Buch is going to price himself out of NY

Well I wouldn't object to the Oilers getting Buchnevich but he is a pending RFA. How much does he sign for?

Also, asking for a 1st+ for him and Georgiev isn't really feasible. At least not from an Oiler perspective. Georgiev is worth, to me at least, not more than a 2nd. Maybe even a 3rd. He isn't the starter the Oilers badly need. Plus in this scenario cap has to go back to the Rangers. Buchnevich is an upgrade from the plugs they have at wing now though, that's for sure. (Kahun, Kassian, Archibald, Shore, etc)

The Oilers should be looking to score a Goaltender as a UFA or from a team who can't protect all the netminders they want to in the expansion draft. So teams like Ottawa, Arizona, Columbus or Florida are potential partners.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017

Whats does NYR need to satisfy this trade? Edmonton's 1st round pick is a given but what other pieces would you guys want in return?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Whats does NYR need to satisfy this trade? Edmonton's 1st round pick is a given but what other pieces would you guys want in return?
I’m guessing the oilers want to keep Holloway. So this year or next years first Rd pick and a cheap abrasive bottom 6 FWD is a start I guess.
Buch will get 5-6 mill per year I’m guessing, but we also need to get kakko and Kravtsov minutes as well as resign Zibby so Buch unfortunately is a luxury we can’t afford right now. Everyone’s pissed no one is happy we have to deal him. We’ve watched him grow into a beast, true complete 200ft player that can score. He doesn’t take shit from anyone, good ok PK, and has demonstrated he can score at a PPG with elite players. If he had PP time, who knows

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I’m guessing the oilers want to keep Holloway. So this year or next years first Rd pick and a cheap abrasive bottom 6 FWD is a start I guess.
Buch will get 5-6 mill per year I’m guessing, but we also need to get kakko and Kravtsov minutes as well as resign Zibby so Buch unfortunately is a luxury we can’t afford right now. Everyone’s pissed no one is happy we have to deal him. We’ve watched him grow into a beast, true complete 200ft player that can score. He doesn’t take shit from anyone, good ok PK, and has demonstrated he can score at a PPG with elite players. If he had PP time, who knows
Kinda short on cheap abrasive forwards lol.

Kassian/Archibald/Khaira (not so much since the knockout) is about it and Kass ain't cheap.

2021 1st + Lavoie for Buch?
Broberg + 3rd?

I don't see Holland trading Broberg but for shits and giggles why not.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Oilers priority #1 needs to be goaltending.

If RNH walks, then taking that 6 or 7 m and redistributing to acquire to strong 2 way players - Blake Coleman has mentioned several times and that’s a good call. Danault could be a huge grab for them too - if he’d sign there.

If the Isles go full on Sorokin and ink him to a nice long term deal in the offseason and the craziness of the Expansion Draft, what about Varlamov to the Oilers? He would be a big upgrade over their current goaltending and the contract isn't onerous for the next 2 years. Mitch Korn and Piero Greco can identify a cheap backup with promise as a #1B type and the Isles get cap relief. Varlamov wouldn't cost the Oilers much to acquire either.

Just a thought.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

We literally just had Barrie sign a cheap one year deal to play with McD and Drai, which went perfect for both parties.

I don’t see why a similar deal wouldn’t appeal to a player who had an underwhelming season last year and might get squeezed on what they’re looking for based on the flat cap. I’m thinking Granlund/Schwartz/Hall all had career low seasons, not out of the question they’d take a bit less on a 1 year deal to boost their stock vs settle for 1-2 mil less that their perceived worth on a long term deal.

I’d look long term if it was someone like Coleman. Ideally we mix and match, nab a guy like Coleman long term and a guy looking for the 1 year McDavid bump, which buys us developmental time for Holloway.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I'd go after Reinhart from Buffalo.
Might not take THAT much as he only has 1 year left and has made it clear he is not super happy. He's from Vancouver which isnt that far from Edmonton... He can play wing or C so that would help them with their depth. He's defensively responsible and a natural playmaker.
I'd also gun after a guy like Danault. One of the best two-way center's who can generate enough offense to fill in a top6 role.
I think he'd bring some much needed structure to their forward group. He's a UFA so it be a matter of coin.
On D, i'd let Barrie go and look at Savard. Solid stay at home guy who is top 4 quality. Try to resign RNH. If he wont resign then look to repalce his offense with a similar priced forward. Winger is OKAY since you're bringing in two other guys who can play C

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
We literally just had Barrie sign a cheap one year deal to play with McD and Drai, which went perfect for both parties.

I don’t see why a similar deal wouldn’t appeal to a player who had an underwhelming season last year and might get squeezed on what they’re looking for based on the flat cap. I’m thinking Granlund/Schwartz/Hall all had career low seasons, not out of the question they’d take a bit less on a 1 year deal to boost their stock vs settle for 1-2 mil less that their perceived worth on a long term deal.

I’d look long term if it was someone like Coleman. Ideally we mix and match, nab a guy like Coleman long term and a guy looking for the 1 year McDavid bump, which buys us developmental time for Holloway.

Thats actually a great idea for the Oilers GM. Sign Coleman, who is absolutely nothing more than a slightly above average 3rd liner, put him on the 2nd or even first line, have high expectations, and get embarrassed again next year. I'm up for it

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017

Kassian/Archibald/Khaira (not so much since the knockout) is about it and Kass ain't cheap.

Broberg + 3rd?

We don't have a 3rd cause of the Neal trade and the league prorated Neal's goal total.

The 1st would have to be next year's 1st otherwise we don't pick until the 4th round. :eek:

I'm looking at Buch + pick for Kassian + 2022 1st.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Broberg + 3rd?

That could work. It would definitely get Drury thinking. I think it’s a pretty solid framework for a deal. I know EDM loves Buch too, he was almost an Oiler 2 years ago. He’s done nothing but improve his stock since then

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Barrie was smart. He knew he had a poor showing in Toronto so either him or his agent made him sign a 1 year deal with a team that could boost his value on his next deal. I’m talking about marquee guys like a Panarin, Tavares,stone etc. those players for whatever reason just don’t choose EDM to sign their big UFA deals to. It’s unfortunate because offensively you have 2 of the best in the world in their prime
Imo even a 2nd tier guy like Hoffman is a tough sign for the oilers for multiple years. It sucks

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

I would love to add Buchnevich, seems like an excellent fit in our top 6. If all it takes is a 1st + cheap bottom 6er I’d easily give up our 1st + Archibald to make it happen. Hell I’d even add a Lavoie level prospect if needed.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I would love to add Buchnevich, seems like an excellent fit in our top 6. If all it takes is a 1st + cheap bottom 6er I’d easily give up our 1st + Archibald to make it happen. Hell I’d even add a Lavoie level prospect if needed.
Yea it will def be something along those lines, rangers won’t want to take salary back and needs to get the kids top 6 minutes so I’m guessing the first helps them restock the cupboard a bit and they need bottom 6 grit and talent.. I’m sure they will ask for Holloway but a 1st and Broberg is prob more realistic. But their need is bottom 6 guys like goodrow that are cheap tough and can play hockey

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If Holland was smart he would make a serious offer for Hyman this summer. This is if the Leafs don't already resign him. Look at what Hyman does for Matthews and Marners game. Even when he played with Tavares, he complimented him very well. Perhaps McDavid can start to learn how to play a 200ft game from Hyman. Even old man Corey Perry would be a good daddy to McDavid.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yea I don’t really know TBH. Bouchard would be so redundant with the defensemen we already have I don’t think there would be interest there. Holloway for sure, Broberg maybe? But I doubt the oil want to part with any of them. So a 1st def included but I don’t know where to go from there. They were floating 1-1 Lundell for Buch on our board perhaps if the panthers are interested. That’s why my best guess would be they ask for Holloway so I have no clue. I think Lundell and Holloway are at least both a year and a half away so Buch def helps both teams faster. I like the oil, so as much as it pains me to deal butch, I’ll love to see him light the nhl up on Mcdavids flank so it’s kind of bittersweet. I know my rangers are probably at least 2 years away from being a cup threat so in the mean time, I’ll root for the teams I like until we wind up matching up in the playoffs

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Barrie was smart. He knew he had a poor showing in Toronto so either him or his agent made him sign a 1 year deal with a team that could boost his value on his next deal. I’m talking about marquee guys like a Panarin, Tavares,stone etc. those players for whatever reason just don’t choose EDM to sign their big UFA deals to. It’s unfortunate because offensively you have 2 of the best in the world in their prime
Imo even a 2nd tier guy like Hoffman is a tough sign for the oilers for multiple years. It sucks

Gotcha. Misinterpreted what you were getting at.

With that said, I still think we’d be in decent shape if we could land 1 or 2 guys looking for a 1 year bounce back/season to inflate stats and hit a bigger pay day in 2022.

It will be a very interesting off-season. There’ll be some money out there, but the teams offering premium dollars and term will be the Sabres/Kracken/Red Wings types of teams. Some guys will jump at the pay day, but I’d have to think some guys would gladly take a small hit on a 1 year deal if it means more teams and more money is in the mix in the 2022 off-season.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Gotcha. Misinterpreted what you were getting at.

With that said, I still think we’d be in decent shape if we could land 1 or 2 guys looking for a 1 year bounce back/season to inflate stats and hit a bigger pay day in 2022.

It will be a very interesting off-season. There’ll be some money out there, but the teams offering premium dollars and term will be the Sabres/Kracken/Red Wings types of teams. Some guys will jump at the pay day, but I’d have to think some guys would gladly take a small hit on a 1 year deal if it means more teams and more money is in the mix in the 2022 off-season.

I agree with Seattle in the mix now and possibly freeing up some money for teams by taking their players in EXP, it’s going to be a very active offseason to say the least

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Timo Meier for Holloway and your 1st.
Tinkering around the edges(if need be) I'll leave to others

I think Holloway is probably going to be making a pretty good impact within the next year or two and cost a fraction of Meier, so I wouldn't touch that deal from Edmonton's perspective. I could see them having some interest in Meier but not that much. A 1st + Lavoie/Samorukov level prospect seems a more likely offer.

Reactions: Ragdoll

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thats actually a great idea for the Oilers GM. Sign Coleman, who is absolutely nothing more than a slightly above average 3rd liner, put him on the 2nd or even first line, have high expectations, and get embarrassed again next year. I'm up for it
Coleman is 30 this year I believe, a late birthday. He made the nhl at like 24 so he hasn’t made big money. $5.4 mill over 3 years plus a couple of low cost years. Career earnings of under $8 mill.

money wise he’s likely look for 4 years at $3 mill plus per to maximize his earnings.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Holloway is probably going to be making a pretty good impact within the next year or two and cost about $7m less than Meier, so I wouldn't touch that deal from Edmonton's perspective.
Meier also has that $10 mill QO in 2023 because his deal was signed prior to the change in the cba.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad