Proposal: Oilers need Defense and a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Like the title says, the Oilers need Defense and a Goalie.

For my money they need two good mid pairing guys (3-4), LHD and RHD.

They also need a 1A starter (or something close) if they are going to salvage the season.

Two guys who should be moved because of contract and status are Barrie and Koskinen. They should be included in any deals.

So who has some really good 3-4 guys and are available? What is the asking price?

Looking for fans of the Sabres, Senators, Blue Jackets, Flyers, Devils, Islanders. Coyotes, Stars, to come up with some offers we haven't seen yet.

All of the Oilers picks are on the table, so are top prospects for the right player.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Risto for 1 top 4 protected in 2022 otherwise 2023
Braun for 2
M Jones (g) for 3

Flyers fans express zero interest in any deals involving Barrie or Kassian.

Reactions: flyersdad

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sadly, Buffalo can't really help with a goalie right now since they're down their starter (Anderson) to a long-term (*cough*concussion*cough*) injury, their backup is dealing with long haul COVID (Tokarski), their AHL development kid is hurt (Luukkonen) as is the guy they plucked for next to nothing to be backup or 1B (Subban) while the rest heal. They have Dell (1-6-0 in the NHL) who was good in Rochester but has not been good in the NHL and a guy living the dream in Michael Hauser - a very good ECHL netminder.

As for defense, it depends on what exactly the Oilers need/want. The one who seems like he would work for the Oilers is Pysyk - vet RHD who defends based on stick, feet, and head rather than physicality - but the Sabres are thin on RHD of their own right now. Miller probably isn't a good fit - he's a PP2 guy who has a harder time if the forwards on his team aren't committed to coming back deep. Hagg has been hurt lately but hasn't been as bad as Flyer fans indicated, likely because he's not getting the TOI to get burned as much, but he's not going to jumpstart the transition.

So from Buffalo: goalie is going to be no for right now and defense is probably someone like Hagg (LHD) or Miller (RHD) or Pysyk (RHD). All are rentals.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Like the title says, the Oilers need Defense and a Goalie.

For my money they need two good mid pairing guys (3-4), LHD and RHD.

They also need a 1A starter (or something close) if they are going to salvage the season.

Two guys who should be moved because of contract and status are Barrie and Koskinen. They should be included in any deals.

So who has some really good 3-4 guys and are available? What is the asking price?

Looking for fans of the Sabres, Senators, Blue Jackets, Flyers, Devils, Islanders. Coyotes, Stars, to come up with some offers we haven't seen yet.

All of the Oilers picks are on the table, so are top prospects for the right player.
“Offers we haven’t seen yet”

translation: we want your stars for scraps.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
They should wait until the offseason.

Any move right now is going to be a complete robbery because of their desperation. They also need to have a good read on the next coach's system (surely Tippett is getting fired!) to know what type of player will work well.

Just getting the best available goalie is not enough. You need someone that will fit the system and can save the shots that specific system will let through. Anything else is like buying a lottery ticket especially when it comes to goalies.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
“Offers we haven’t seen yet”

translation: we want your stars for scraps.

That isn't at all what I said. Perhaps reading comprehension isn't your forte.

Risto for 1 top 4 protected in 2022 otherwise 2023
Braun for 2
M Jones (g) for 3

Flyers fans express zero interest in any deals involving Barrie or Kassian.

I'll be kind of blunt here, I see Risto and Barrie as cut from the same cloth. I can't see why Ristolainen is worth a 1st top four protected.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’m already seeing some anchors thrown the Oilers way.

if Edmonton will part with their 2022 1st, even lottery protected, they’ll be able to get a goalie.

if Holland won’t move the 2022 1st or prospects like Broberg or Holloway, he’ll be shopping at the dollar store for 2Gs and dime a dozen bottom pair guys. Think Nemeth and Martin
Jones.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Montreal has everything you need.

Price or Allen
Chiarot or Edmunson or Petry

Those are some of the best pieces available in the league right now (key word: available)

Reactions: alasania94

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Montreal has everything you need.

Price or Allen
Chiarot or Edmunson or Petry

Those are some of the best pieces available in the league right now (key word: available)
Have to agree. Price would be an ideal fit and the habs have some decent D there . Oilers just seem to hesitant to go for it . Perhaps they know they are too many pcs short

Reactions: Dumais

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Scandella could provide some stability to a middle pairing and wouldn't break the bank to acquire

if Husso keeps playing the way he has, wonder if Binnington would become available

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
That isn't at all what I said. Perhaps reading comprehension isn't your forte.

I'll be kind of blunt here, I see Risto and Barrie as cut from the same cloth. I can't see why Ristolainen is worth a 1st top four protected.
Understand the opinion.

I am sure on the flip you can see as a Flyers fan why I have zero interest in Barrie and picks for Provorov or Sanheim type offers.

Reactions: TFHockey

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Cannot see Petry waiving his NMC for Edmonton.

Maybe the fact that McDavid and Draisatl are there would convince him?

If not, Edmunson is a GREAT 2nd pairing stay-at-home d-men that could help a lot.

Chiarot is like a better (but also worst) version of Edmunson (in the sense that some games he'll take over, other time he'll shoot the puck in the crowd for no reasons) and he's meaner. His contract is coming up this year.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I’m already seeing some anchors thrown the Oilers way.

if Edmonton will part with their 2022 1st, even lottery protected, they’ll be able to get a goalie.

if Holland won’t move the 2022 1st or prospects like Broberg or Holloway, he’ll be shopping at the dollar store for 2Gs and dime a dozen bottom pair guys. Think Nemeth and Martin
Jones.

According to his last presser he wasn't interested in moving top prospects or high picks for rentals. He was asked point blank about that (a trade for a rental to save the season) from a local media guy who quite frankly showed some balls . Holland said flatly NO, he wouldn't trade those assets for rentals. I sort of took that to mean he was looking for guys with term.

So Chiarot-types are not on the menu here in Edmonton.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad