Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 6-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
The game says something about Brossoit.

Why not give him half the games for the rest of the season?

That's only seven or eight more games.

If they are all this bad, then it's time to go backup shoppin'

He would have to play elite level for them not to go shopping. Would be foolish not to IMO. Still needs seasoning. One more year getting big minutes will do him some good.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
it wasn't the worst game...but they did give up the momentum 3 flipping times within a minute of scoring.

That is Oilerz level stupid.

and beyond that...personally I think McLellan blew that one.

I have no question that if the season wasn't toast that McLellan would have pulled Brossoit much earlier. Yeah we gave up momentum 3 times on not very good defensive coverage, but Columbus missed just as many defensive assignments tonight. The clear difference was goaltending, and the quick whistle on Kassian's no goal sure didn't help. Overall I think most people know what the issues on this team are. We have a couple guys playing higher than they should in the forward group due to Nuge and Pouliots injury, and a couple who are playing too high in the D group (and one or 2 who shouldn't be regulars) due to Klefbom's injury and issues we'll hopefully address this offseason.

At least the teams competing now, and with a healthy line up and a couple of offseason deals theres reason to have a positive outlook on this team. I know there's been a lot of false hope in the past, but this team has never had the centre depth, depth forwards who can actually play, or some of the defensive pieces on the back end, let alone a player who is likely going to be the best player in the game, in the last 10 years. People can say all they want "blah blah we've heard it all before for the last decade", but if people actually think that then they aren't paying attention.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I have no question that if the season wasn't toast that McLellan would have pulled Brossoit much earlier. Yeah we gave up momentum 3 times on not very good defensive coverage, but Columbus missed just as many defensive assignments tonight. The clear difference was goaltending, and the quick whistle on Kassian's no goal sure didn't help. Overall I think most people know what the issues on this team are. We have a couple guys playing higher than they should in the forward group due to Nuge and Pouliots injury, and a couple who are playing too high in the D group (and one or 2 who shouldn't be regulars) due to Klefbom's injury and issues we'll hopefully address this offseason.

At least the teams competing now, and with a healthy line up and a couple of offseason deals theres reason to have a positive outlook on this team. I know there's been a lot of false hope in the past, but this team has never had the centre depth, depth forwards who can actually play, or some of the defensive pieces on the back end, let alone a player who is likely going to be the best player in the game, in the last 10 years. People can say all they want "blah blah we've heard it all before for the last decade", but if people actually think that then they aren't paying attention.

hmm....I don't think it was just goal tending.

It just seemed like the BJ's were better prepared and had a clear gameplan that worked against us. We were behind the whole game so maybe that is part of it but it seemed like the Jackets breakout was way way too easy and the oilers couldn't dominate against the boards or on the cycle like they did in recent games.

Then not only did he leave Broissoit in, but McLellan also kept trotting out the 3rd line when the 1st/2nd line could have been out there......and was juggling lines like crazy when people could see the lines needed a shakeup a couple games ago.

I like Mclellan but this just seems like a game he lost.

McDeathbyCheerios*

/micdrop

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I was sitting right behind the net. His spinning backhand actually missed the net completely, wasn't even a SOG.

Eberle is totally low energy and worthless. Doesn't look like the same player as in the past.

His spinning backhand did miss, and caught Yak right in little Nail.

As for Brossoit, every goalie has substandard games. His first two starts were outstanding.

I'd give Talbot the next couple, then get LB right back in.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
hmm....I don't think it was just goal tending.

It just seemed like the BJ's were better prepared and had a clear gameplan that worked against us. We were behind the whole game so maybe that is part of it but it seemed like the Jackets breakout was way way too easy and the oilers couldn't dominate against the boards or on the cycle like they did in recent games.

Then not only did he leave Broissoit in, but McLellan also kept trotting out the 3rd line when the 1st/2nd line could have been out there......and was juggling lines like crazy when people could see the lines needed a shakeup a couple games ago.

I like Mclellan but this just seems like a game he lost.

Thats fair, their breakout did look good and at times too easy, but I felt we had just as many, and probably actually more quality chances. To me the difference was the blown call on Kassian's goal and their goaltending outperformed ours. They had just as many blown defensive coverages, the difference was that we didn't finish.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
it wasn't the worst game...but they did give up the momentum 3 flipping times within a minute of scoring.

That is Oilerz level stupid.

and beyond that...personally I think McLellan blew that one.

I don't blame him for wanting to rest Talbot. We'll be counting on him a lot more than on Brossoit. I thought we actually played a pretty good game, but goaltending, and refereeing lost us this game.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nikitin is the deliverer of Matthews, he cannot be denied.

Lol thats one plus side of Niki. People shouldn't care if we lose some games down the stretch as long as the effort is there. Chia knows he needs to grab a couple D this offseason and maybe add another top 9 forward with better size and compete than Eberle (or at least I like to think that Chia knows). If losing a couple of games where the team effort is there helps us get a better chance at a trade piece then so be it. Might as well grab a few losses while we can before Klef and Nuge are back ;)

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Lot of mistakes in this game on the part of Mclellan. First off why would you mess with a winning line up? Cracknell looked good in both his games so far with the Oilers and he gets dropped and Nikitin draws in for Clendening. Even though Clandening played bad last game is historically (just for this season alone) everytime Nikitin has drawn in he's been far worse than Clendening on his worse day. The fact he was brought up is ludicrous to me when you had a guy in Oesterle who looked superb in every game he dressed and when he came in this team played actual smart hockey. Instead we got Nikitin this game who was victimized every single time he was on the ice. I don't think there was a single instance where he was on the ice and there wasn't a legitimate great scoring opportunity for the BJs. We have guys in the minors who are significantly better than this sad sack and yet we are wasting valuable evaluation time on those players to wind up with the result EVERYONE knew would occur. Than he leaves in Brossoit after those first 2 periods. It doesn't matter if the goals were his fault or not its called understanding what might be a catalyst for a comeback. After the 3rd Oilers goal why are we putting out the worst line exactly? 3 straight shifts to start the 3rd of Oiler domination that leads to the goal and you elect to throw out a cold line instead of looking to the Drai line. I know the games mean nothing at this point but it so disheartening to see our coach make a bunch of bad decisions in one game at the 60+ game mark for the year.

Also the reffing is so bad that they need to implement an evaluation method to make them accountable for their jobs. I'll never understand why the refs are immune to any sort of negative feedback but the people who are actually putting money in the pockets of the NHL and the NHL owners can get **** spewed about them by their coach, opposing players, and the media.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I don't blame him for wanting to rest Talbot. We'll be counting on him a lot more than on Brossoit. I thought we actually played a pretty good game, but goaltending, and refereeing lost us this game.

yeah...they were probably just gassed but i mean they just didn't look ready and mclellan was left scrambling a bit.

it seems like there are the simplest of breakouts against happening the past few games. i'm sure this has happened all season to some extent...and happens to every team but I wonder if coaching needs to address something there. Are teams keying in on something (Eberle)? Or do giant stretch passes leading to clean zone entry just happen to normal teams?

I notice Todd has two wingers pressuring sometimes....so do our centres suck? or the wingers suck? have they been doing this all season? :rant::rolly:

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I think we'll bounce back next game against Winterpeg. I'm also hoping we see Nuge and Klef back in a few weeks, it would be nice to see how everyone plays together now that we have most players back. What a weird year so far.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think we'll bounce back next game against Winterpeg. I'm also hoping we see Nuge and Klef back in a few weeks, it would be nice to see how everyone plays together now that we have most players back. What a weird year so far.

Nuge is possibly back for the yotes back.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It what it is, not gonna freak out over kind of a weird game.

We made about three really poor mistakes that are all correctable and they all ended up in the back of the net. Bad night for Brossoit but we didn't make it easy for him.

Considering it was the 3rd game in 4 nights on back to back on the road it is what it is. I did think we responded OK after getting down 0-2 and we outshot and outhit them. This is a lesson to not let up or relax after a goal is scored for sure though.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Didn't see the game. From the highlights, the goals Brossoit gave up (other than the first) seemed fairly savable. Poor defensive coverage unfortunately, but goalie needs to save at least a couple of those.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It what it is, not gonna freak out over kind of a weird game.

We made about three really poor mistakes that are all correctable and they all ended up in the back of the net. Bad night for Brossoit but we didn't make it easy for him.

Considering it was the 3rd game in 4 nights on back to back on the road it is what it is. I did think we responded OK after getting down 0-2 and we outshot and outhit them. This is a lesson to not let up or relax after a goal is scored for sure though.

Would be nice not to have such ******** officiating for one game. Maroon's penalty for simply pushing the cbj player down was such a ****ing joke. NHL's turning into the No Hitting League.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Would be nice not to have such ******** officiating for one game. Maroon's penalty for simply pushing the cbj player down was such a ****ing joke. NHL's turning into the No Hitting League.
Unless you are hitting the Oilers. Then it's the extra hits league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad