Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Again, playoff appearances should've been the bare minimum after 2017. PC f***ed up big time, no question. But let me ask you this... are you comfortable with our defense and goaltending going forward? Yes, the team is coming off a playoffs where they fell one game short. They could absolutely win it all next year. Time will tell if this year was a one off or the norm.
Playoffs should have been the bare minimum yet before Holland that wasn’t the case.

I don’t hate our defence as much as others. Hopefully Broberg steps up and JJ / Bowman work some magic and get a top 4 D during the season. I know the pickings are slim though.

Skinner still scares me but he went from almost unplayable in the playoffs to a reliable goalie by the end of the run.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yep, I've seen several posts from Blackhawk fans on how Bowman f***ed their team's cap. For a team in the Oilers that's pretty much in a cap crunch and had Ken Holland for 5 years (whom red wing fans said the exact same thing) who also couldn't work well with the Oilers cap on an annual basis, I don't think its personally far-fetched to not show some sort of concern of Bowman doing potentially the same damage to this organization. Team needed a Mathieu Darche or Mark Janko type of hire, but Bowman just doesn't spark any optimism for me.
I still hope we can at least win a cup.

Going through Bowman's signings, he's really only ever paid his core players. Kane, Toews, Sharp, Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, etc, so at least he isn't a Ken Holland.

The main thing that worked against Bowman is probably that core aging out. He kept a 50 win team together for four seasons after winning the second cup until guys like Keith, Sharp, Hossa, etc. were getting up to 35+ and then Seabrook's body fell apart.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Going through Bowman's signings, he's really only ever paid his core players. Kane, Toews, Sharp, Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, etc, so at least he isn't a Ken Holland.

The main thing that worked against Bowman is probably that core aging out. He kept a 50 win team together for four seasons after winning the second cup until guys like Keith, Sharp, Hossa, etc. were getting up to 35+ and then Seabrook's body fell apart.
That's a good reminder he made the Seth Jones error twice. Once with Seabrook then with Jones.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
That's a good reminder he made the Seth Jones error twice. Once with Seabrook then with Jones.
I feel like almost every team would have done the same in the Seabrook situation. Lock up one of your top pairing D after winning the cup.

Uhhh... If Seth Jones were on the Oilers he most certainly wouldn't be top pairing, or even second pairing.
:laugh: Stop.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
A number of the key players in Chicago's Cup wins were not high draft picks. For instance, from the 2010 Cup team
Duncan Keith - 54th overall
Dave Bolland - 32nd overall
Troy Brouwer - 214th overall
Bustin Byfuglien - 245th overall
Niklas Hjalmarsson - 108th overall
Niemi - Undrafted
Bryan Bickell - 41st overall

If you want the model, there it is. All players drafted by the Blackhawks.

Coffee all over my keyboard, thanks

Read that in the voice

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
MOD EDIT

Who is this f***? This guy is literally just going around on Twitter forcing Oiler fans to change who they cheer for because, if they don't, they are vile and disgusting and just as bad as Aldrich, Bowman etc.

What the f*** is wrong with these people

(MOD: Let's leave the deranged Twitter users on Twitter.)

Reactions: oilers'72

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
MOD EDIT

Who is this f***? This guy is literally just going around on Twitter forcing Oiler fans to change who they cheer for because, if they don't, they are vile and disgusting and just as bad as Aldrich, Bowman etc.

Thank you Mod. This poster often lacks a critical thinking skill to qualify information which ends up circulating junk here in the form of disinformation, heresy as fact, or inflammatory irrelevant social media garbage from elsewhere.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Weird how most of the other teams that won a Cup during the 2010s are still relatively competitive and yet Chicago went into the shitter.

Bowman made a series of bad trades that helped the downward spiral.
That's mainly because their stars were/are still pretty good.
Toews/Seabrook/Keith in particular fell off sooner than Crosby/Malkin/Letang, Kopitar/Doughty and Ovechkin/Carlson although Backstrom fell off quickly.
Chicago also went full rebuild and traded Kane while the other franchises kept their core largely intact.

Bowman definitely contributed to the spiral with a series of bad moves but there's a reason why those other franchises remained competitive while the Blackhawks did not beyond GM incompetence.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
MOD EDIT

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Who did this, that was a spit the coffee out of my mouth laugh

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Thank you Mod. This poster often lacks a critical thinking skill to qualify information which ends up circulating junk here in the form of disinformation, heresy as fact, or inflammatory irrelevant social media garbage from elsewhere.
Excuse me? I was warning fellow HF Board members about him. What f***ing critical thinking skills do I not possess that you do?

LOL disinformation? Like what?? What the hell did I do wrong in warning fellow HFOil friends?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
And Chicago isn't? Again, ask yourself WHY they're going scorched earth.

It took Holland years to get this team over the hump that they should've been at if Chiarelli wasn't... well, Chiarelli. Time will tell if the Oilers follow up their deep run with another. But the first few years were nothing but embarrassing playoff losses.
Holland took over a team that was bottom 10 two years in a row. Even getting to the playoffs those first two seasons was an accomplishment.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I don't know what I did wrong. But if posting accounts of Twitter users to warn friends on here is a bad thing to do then I apologize.

Reactions: oilers'72

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Fair enough. I'm just pessimistic that he can work the cap effectively for this team but we'll see I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad