Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Hopefully people read these reports and then pass judgement. People are allowed to atone for their mistakes in our society and when someone like Sheldon Kennedy endorses him that’s tells me he’s put the work in to make the necessary changes.

From a pure hockey related standpoint I’m not crazy about it but with JJ now fully in command and with his oversight I’ll see what happens and give it the benefit of the doubt.

Edit - now that the presser has happened it sounds like Beach has been working with Bowman and Bowman has been achieving positive results in youth hockey bringing to light these issues. JJ also said Beach (paraphrasing) was positive about the hire.

You asking me to read just makes me madder! I'm upset with the minimal information I have at hand. And people are going to hear about it!

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I'm really not sure how to feel after reading, watching the presser, and reading some more.

My biggest issue for the team is that it just seems like a PR shitstorm that will loom over them moving forward affecting on ice results. I can also appreciate people not wanting him involved in any capacity.

But I also have to acknowledge some of the unpopular opinions I'm seeing as fair. Like this reddit user.

"When it comes to supporting victims of sexual assault in hockey I'm not sure there's many people who've done more than Sheldon Kennedy.

[And according to Sheldon Kennedy](https://www.respectgroupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/my-work-with-stan-bowman-sk.pdf):

>I believe Stan would be a valuable asset to an organization due to his acknowledgment of past mistakes and his relentless efforts to make the locker room/game safer for everyone. He possesses the insights, knowledge, and confidence needed to lead in this area. I feel building a strong and healthy culture within an organization and practicing it on an ongoing basis will be a top priority for Stan. I also believe Stan will carry this message within the hockey eco system, which can only help.

Now, Kennedy's voice isn't the only one that matters, though I haven't heard about any of Brad Aldrich's victims speaking out against Bowman's reinstatement.

It seems to me if you actually do care about victims of sexual assault you'd want to take Kennedy's statement seriously. For me personally, it completely flipped my view on this hire.

I'm honestly annoyed at people who claim to support victims of sexual assault and then flat out ignore what the victims of sexual assault say.

Sometimes doing the right thing means doing something unpopular.

In 2010, doing the right thing meant firing Aldrich, reporting him to the police, and creating a major scandal in the middle of the group's first Stanley Cup run.

In 2024, doing the right thing means taking one of the people who made that previous bad decision and putting him in a position to ensure mistakes like that never happen again.

I'm certain that 90% of the people whining about this hire wouldn't have done anything to upset the apple cart in 2010. I'm encouraged that Jeff Jackson had the courage to listen to the people who actually care about sexual assault and put Stan Bowman in charge."

I can't disagree with all of that. Especially with regards to Kennedy, as well as Kyle Beach himself, according to Jeff Jackson.

Still bakes my noodle that this is the way they decided to go, but we'll see I guess.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's funny Bowman become GM again before Chia for being very similar but Chia was decent at drafting and small trades

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
So, in light of today's news, seems like many are ready to start the re-hire Bob Nicholson campaign, second chances guys, he can work under JJ.
Has he even been let go? Was removed from the front lines due to his involvement with HC scandals. Should be held accountable for his role in that. I don't know what his contract length is/was.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Well everyone it's been a roller coaster. After a great playoff run and the beginning to an excellent off season we get served this turd sandwich by Katz and Jackson. I was about as hyped for the Oil moving forward as ever. Oil fan since '85. This though I can't won't stand behind so I'm walking away from this franchise.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Has he even been let go? Was removed from the front lines due to his involvement with HC scandals. Should be held accountable for his role in that. I don't know what his contract length is/was.
Lol no he's still with the team despite the fact he probably should be in jail.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Well everyone it's been a roller coaster. After a great playoff run and the beginning to an excellent off season we get served this turd sandwich by Katz and Jackson. I was about as hyped for the Oil moving forward as ever. Oil fan since '85. This though I can't won't stand behind so I'm walking away from this franchise.

See you November 1.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Lol. No you aren’t.

Reactions: oilers'72

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
This. Primarily the bolded.

What is wrong with people in present day? What is this need to banish people for transgression? Redemption not possible?

Atonement. This is an org that has often given 2nd chances to players or staff and did to Murphy, MacTavish, Murdoch, Kane, Perry, and now are doing it again.

Try to judge Bowman on merit rather than other.

He didnt really atone though. He got a slap on a wrist, got to work with an amazing organization with Sheldon, then was hired to the best job in hockey.

I am all for second chances, but this guy is barely on his second chance. He just skated by tbh.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
As someone who’s helped SA survivors in the past you’d be shocked what interactions with the Police can be like.

Or that SA survivors even want to report things. Beach ultimately did report it, but it was a decade later after he found out other people got hurt. Most people don't want to go through an investigation or a trial, they just want to move on with their lives. Not necessarily Bowman's place to report it, Beach may have absolutely not wanted that.

I also am not sure it was Bowman's place to keep tabs on Aldrich and make sure he wasn't in contact with children. Would you keep tabs on someone in another department who got fired a year and a half ago and report them, or would you forget about it? It's fair criticism I guess, his inaction did cause harm, but certainly I don't think he actively caused harm or was even inactive to a degree in which you could even feasibly describe as negligent.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Buffalo/Ottawa have to do something stupid now, don't they?

They usually don't like other teams taking the spotlight like this.

• Haha
Reactions: nally

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Okay dirt aside.

What good he did in Chicago:
Brought in Hossa
Brought in Panarin
Kept the Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Saad first deals manageable

Anything else?

Hossa came in while Tallon was still GM.

Brought in Panarin but traded him because he was in denial about Toews' decline.

Terrible Seabrook deal.

Blackhawks should have been a solid playoff team the past 7-8 seasons but they weren't because of Bowman

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
My reaction, along with the majority of Oilers fans, is 100% negative. Even if his crime was deferring too much to others and not following up, and even if he spent two years educating himself with Sheldon Kennedy, he shouldn't get to come back into hockey at this senior level. It's such a horrific signal all around.

On the flip side, given the work he's done, there is likely no other GM in hockey that is more informed about sexual assault, bullying, harassment, than he is at this point. In his presser, he focused not only on winning, but creating a positive culture in the organization.

I hate it, don't get me wrong.

Reactions: Cloned

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Its the virtue mode of present day. Shriek loud as you can about how much better you are while shitting on others.
Yeah, this I can totally get behind. People on social media generally only voice concern/care about things that they are "supposed" to care about. Everything that happened around the Blackhawks is of course gross and inexcusable, but the vast majority of those in the angry mob only come out in droves when there is *news* to react to. The rest of the time, they don't do or say shit.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This. Primarily the bolded.

What is wrong with people in present day? What is this need to banish people for transgression? Redemption not possible?

Atonement. This is an org that has often given 2nd chances to players or staff and did to Murphy, MacTavish, Murdoch, Kane, Perry, and now are doing it again.

Try to judge Bowman on merit rather than other.
The world has become such an angry place and forgiveness is impossible. What it seems to have turned to and lead to is everyone is treated the same for their mistakes no matter the level, which has simply lead to some really truly awful peoples actions being almost downplayed because people who have done far less get treated with the same anger and fervor.

As a society we need to focus more on growth and rehabilitation. We can't grow and evolve as a society if we don't let people change and learn.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He was, because the organization fundamentally doesn't care overall.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hossa came in while Tallon was still GM.

Brought in Panarin but traded him because he was in denial about Toews' decline.

Terrible Seabrook deal.

Blackhawks should have been a solid playoff team the past 7-8 seasons but they weren't because of Bowman
Seth Jones' deal is all I need to know about him. Bouchard is about to get traded for pennies on the dollar because Bowman won't be able to negotiate a reasonable deal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
lol at these pronouncements. You'll be back like you have been before. Oh the drama.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad