Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
You're defending the hire, though, which is what I said.
I've not defended the hire at all. I'm engaging in a discussion about it. Hiring Stan Bowman was a terrible decision by Oilers brass not only from a PR perspective but also he just isn't a very good GM.

Me not condemning Stan Bowman for life doesn't mean I'm defending him. If people in and around the league, and people like Sheldon Kennedy and Kyle Beach are willing to speak up for and work directly with him since the incident and moving forward, then it's not up to me or anyone else to take up some social crusade of justice against him.

But you do you, internet justice warrior.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Is Scotty coming too? Cuz Jr ain't winning shit without daddy unless well it's a cheese burger eating contest. Yeah we get it look the other way if it's a winner right. NHL and it's group just showing over and over again they rather play the greatest hits over n over vs trying to find new blood to solve problems. Never seen a league defended by fans on this country club musical chairs hires they call a process. How long before DJ Smith and Woodcraft back ? Even better how long before that perineal loser Gallant back?
And where is Dubas the losers next job gonna be .....as President! ha!? How bout Treviling and his abysmal record? Shanahan get another 10 year deal?
Won't argue on the "Scotty" comment. Good call 🤣

Reactions: Laus723

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I wonder how many that are complaining have accepted 1000 miles of road before being concerned?

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Curious if Bowman ends up being heckled directly during road games. If it happens while play is happening and audible on broadcasts, that could be interesting optics for the league.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
why just road games? Oilers fans have the right to take shots at him as well. Would certainly be interesting optics.
Definitely would be more powerful if it was the hometown crowd. Honestly think the Canucks would’ve had Benning for longer if the crowd hadn’t started chanting for his firing (and chanting “sell the team”).

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
But both Kennedy and Beach think he’s redeemable, and they know more about this case, sexual abuse in general, victims in general, and how to properly handle these situations more than anyone here on HF. So I’d take their word for it.

I'm sorry, but forgiveness by victims is a testament to the strength of character of Beach and Kennedy, not Bowman's character.

Sure, forgiveness is a testament to Kennedy and Beach's character. It's that, but it could also be a testament to their belief in Bowman, at least they state as such.

If people in and around the league, and people like Sheldon Kennedy and Kyle Beach are willing to speak up for and work directly with him since the incident and moving forward, then it's not up to me or anyone else to take up some social crusade of justice against him.

But you do you, internet justice warrior.
Regarding Kennedy, I'll repeat what I posted on my team's board earlier:

I wasn't surprised at all that Bowman mentioned he'd worked with Sheldon Kennedy and had his support taking the GM job. I would have been tasteless to say so when his story broke, and I've never had occasion to say it since, but after he became a household name and began appearing in media frequently, Kennedy always struck me as not very bright and way over his head participating in public/political discourse related to his new role.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I don't really understand it from a PR view. The Oilers keep hiring some very questionable characters.

You have a GM now who covered up sexual assault. And multiple players who been accused or kicked off other teams for sexual assault or other gross behavior.

I really don't see how you can be an Oilers fan and support this.
While what you're saying is correct, I think it's pretty gross how much you're reveling in it.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not surprised by this lynch mob attitude.
This hasn't even been in court yet.

Sadly, par for the course for a significant segment of the posters on here. Luckily, that wasn't the case with the jury in the Duke lacrosse case.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
So Mitch Miller is forever ostracized for what he did at 14, meanwhile rape enabler Bowman is hired as a GM?

This cancel culture stuff is getting confusing.
That's probably because "cancel culture" isn't a clearly defined and consistently applied thing.

Reactions: T REX

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
This is exactly why myself and others dislike the oiler franchise. This kind of unthinkable hire is only seemingly acceptable with them. When I said in the playoffs that this was a motley crew jerks, assholes, and people who had credible legal allegations made against them, I wasn't being 'colourful'. The oilers 'hockey club' has fully embraced the idea of hiring scumbags to their office, and signing scumbag players under the veil of giving players a '2nd chance'.

In reality, it's simply a shortcut and choosing an easy route. They know they're an undesirable market. Edmonton sucks. Look, I'm a born and raised Winnipegger so I know the optics of it and how it sucks to have players not want to come to your city. The only city in the NHL with a lower desirability than Edmonton is my hometown. But the Jets have attempted to deal with this handicap in an honourable way by being loyal to players (often to a fault) and trying to develop young players and get them invested in the organization. It's gross, its unethical, it's disgusting.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
They are already eyeing Carter Hart...
I mean if the victim forgives him and someone who was sexually assaulted in the 80s is for it, then I don't see why they wouldn't get Hart. Guy could be a good goalie for them.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
So Mitch Miller is forever ostracized for what he did at 14, meanwhile rape enabler Bowman is hired as a GM?

This cancel culture stuff is getting confusing.
Bill Cosby is back out performing stand up for the record, Harvey Weinstein is about to get released from prison. "cancel culture" is thriving I guess

Ad

Ad

Ad