Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I enjoy my bashing of the Oil as much as anyone else, but I don't really blame them in this case if they think Bowman can get them over the finish line. Some may disagree that he was all that useful in Chicago anyway.
They could have hired someone off the street and it would have been the same. Bowman is an unnecessary distraction and isnt some magical GM who will improve this team greatly.

I honestly don't want any success for this guy. No way he should be around an NHL team at this point. Pretty tasteless hire.
Yeh, 2nd chances are good and almost everyone deserves them but he should have been given a lesser role to start with and not the top position.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Draisaitl approves , why not us?!?
Yeah Germans have great judgement of character...

If you want to know what a sick narcissist Bowman is, this is him trying to play the good guy at the 2021 draft days before the report came out.

1722441267255.png

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Everyone says he should have done more, but what specifically could he have done in a short amount of time? Keep in mind:

1. Kyle Beach was not interested in coming out as the victim.

2. Bowman has very little power in the Blackhawks organization.

3. The people who had power in the Blackhawks organization assured him the matter was taken care of.

If I’m in that position, I’m not sure what I would do next. Bowman’s inaction wasn’t his finest hour, but considering the above his inaction doesn’t make him a villian either.

If Kyle Beach is okay with it then why can’t everyone else.

1. Kyle Beach may not have wanted his name out, sure, but here clearly sought out and needed help

2. Bowman had a significant amount of influence and power not only within the organization, but the NHL as well. To say otherwise is absolutely laughable.

3. That's only if you believe what Bowman, and only Bowman had to say in regards to how things unfolded. There is a ton of information available that completely disputes his recollection (or lack thereof) of events.

Numerous accounts clearly state that it was a collective choice to have the issue(s) put to the backburner as to not distract the team from it's playoff run. Bowman played a major part in all of this and it led to more victims down the road.

Also Beach being "ok" with it means next to nothing to me, as that's likely just a function of his own healing process. The fact the Oilers are using that as some sort of saving grace for this signing speaks volumes.

Plausible deniability. That's the route they all took here and it's shameful.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't really understand it from a PR view. The Oilers keep hiring some very questionable characters.

You have a GM now who covered up sexual assault. And multiple players who been accused or kicked off other teams for sexual assault or other gross behavior.

I really don't see how you can be an Oilers fan and support this.
No we don’t. And no players on the Oilers ever sexually assaulted someone. Unlike the Flames who awarded a rapist a 6.9M contract.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
1. Kyle Beach may not have wanted his name out, sure, but here clearly sought out and needed help

2. Bowman had a significant amount of influence and power not only within the organization, but the NHL as well. To say otherwise is absolutely laughable.

3. That's only if you believe what Bowman, and only Bowman had to say in regards to how things unfolded. There is a ton of information available that completely disputes his recollection (or lack thereof) of events.

Numerous accounts clearly state that it was a collective choice to have the issue(s) put to the backburner as to not distract the team from it's playoff run. Bowman played a major part in all of this and it led to more victims down the road.

Also Beach being "ok" with it means next to nothing to me, as that's likely just a function of his own healing process. The fact the Oilers are using that as some sort of saving grace for this signing speaks volumes.

Plausible deniability. That's the route they all took here and it's shameful.
The relevant part about what Bowman said happened in that meeting is that his Boss said he would handle it. His boss then went and handled it by being the one that brought it to HR after a 3 week delay. Confirming exactly what Bowman said had happened in that meeting.

The report stated Quennville brought up concerns about delaying the news. It is unknown how Bowman thought about it. But assuming he also thought they should delay it, the 3 week delay isn’t why Aldrich was able to move on unscathed. It was the lack of investigation, a mistake done by the Hawks HR dept. and not any of the managers in that meeting.

Beach being okay with it is just one part of the story. And yes, that could just be a function of his own healing. However, Beach could have forgiven Bowman for that reason without inviting Bowman to come work with his team. The invitation for him to come out says that Beach respects the work Bowman is currently doing. Same reason Sheldon Kennedy recommends this hire.

Plausible deniability isn’t the route the Oilers or Bowman are taking here. Nothing is being denied. Bowman has admitted to wrongdoing in the Beach incident. He’s not denying anything wrong happened, he has owned up to his mistakes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well if Bowman did everything 100% correctly ... then his rehab tour, volunteer work, him saying he knows he didn't do enough, and his endorsements from Kennedy/Beach are 100% performative, insincere, and utterly meaningless. Why was any of it necessary if he did everything right?

And it only took him 11 years and being forced out in disgrace to do it. What a wonderful guy. When's his statue being built outside the arena?

None of that really changes the fact that a GM shouldn't be involved in a case like this past the point of making sure his superiors know about it and getting confirmation from them that they are handling the issue. Sports GMs are not qualified to handle a non-sports situation of this scale and importance, not even close.

The fact that he has chosen to better himself by going into those programs and reaching and spending time with Beach was of his own accord as far as I know no one else in the Blackhawks org did any of that. As far as I know no GMs even now get that training.
So good for him. He still shouldn't be in charge of a sex assault case.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
This is just one of those times EDM fans have to suck it up and just take it.

Not much you can respond with without trying to have some pretzel defense for Bowman.

He was suspended. For a reason. Not worth it.

If you win a cup...no one will care. If not...it will get worse.
If the Oilers win cup I'll be just as thrilled as I would have been prior to the hiring.

If people on the internet decide that makes me a terrible person so be it, their opinions on the matter clearly don't mean anything.

I don't really understand it from a PR view. The Oilers keep hiring some very questionable characters.

You have a GM now who covered up sexual assault. And multiple players who been accused or kicked off other teams for sexual assault or other gross behavior.

I really don't see how you can be an Oilers fan and support this.
What Oilers players have been kicked off of teams for sexual assault? Multiple? Please share.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
None of that really changes the fact that a GM shouldn't be involved in a case like this past the point of making sure his superiors know about it and getting confirmation from them that they are handling the issue. Sports GMs are not qualified to handle a non-sports situation of this scale and importance, not even close.

The fact that he has chosen to better himself by going into those programs and reaching and spending time with Beach was of his own accord as far as I know no one else in the Blackhawks org did any of that. As far as I know no GMs even now get that training.
So good for him. He still shouldn't be in charge of a sex assault case.
Wow, the most dumb comment I have ever read on HF. Congratulations!

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
If the Oilers win cup I'll be just as thrilled as I would have been prior to the hiring.

If people on the internet decide that makes me a terrible person so be it, their opinions on the matter clearly don't mean anything.

What Oilers players have been kicked off of teams for sexual assault? Multiple? Please share.
Has anyone called you a terrible person for defending the hire?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Almost the whole Blackhawk team knew this coach was touching people. Brent Sopel and another made reference to this. Your response will also mean each one of those players are also to blame.
SA awareness has changed a lot in the last 15 years.

That's correct, I blame alot of those players for doing absolutely nothing about it as well

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wow, the most dumb comment I have ever read on HF. Congratulations!

A matter of this scale should be handled by the PRESIDENT of the freaking franchise in conjunction with the HUMAN RESOURCES department, the OWNERSHIP and relevant business side higher ups, and the POLICE DEPARTMENT if the alleged victim requests it. You shouldn't have freaking hockey side employees who don't know the first thing about handling such a case running point.

And ambiguity about who does what IS part of the problem. There shouldn't be any ambiguity on who is in charge of what. There should be a clear chain of command on these things.

"Maybe this person should have done this" isn't good enough, there should be a clear defined role on who does what and it should be the non-hockey side higher up positions that are in charge, otherwise what are they and the HR department even there for?

The Blackhawks team president McDonagh was informed of the issue and said he would take over the issue and handle it. He didn't do that. The fault is 99% on him IMO.

Last edited:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

You didn't hire him. It wouldn't make you a bad person at all. The organization? That is another story.

Don't be surprised at the level of hate this year. A lot of folks were cheering for you guys and McD.

But in no way is it any fans fault. Defending his behavior? That might be an issue. But if you win a cup. Enjoy it.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
A matter of this scale should be handled by the PRESIDENT of the freaking franchise in conjunction with the HUMAN RESOURCES department, the OWNERSHIP and relevant business side higher ups, and the POLICE DEPARTMENT if the alleged victim requests it. You shouldn't have freaking hockey side employees who don't know the first thing about handling such a case running point.

And ambiguity about who does what IS part of the problem. There shouldn't be any ambiguity on who is in charge of what. There should be a clear chain of command on these things.

"Maybe this person should have done this" isn't good enough, there should be a clear defined role on who does what and it should be the non-hockey side higher up positions that are in charge, otherwise what are they and the HR department even there for?

The Blackhawks team president McDonagh was informed of the issue and said he would take over the issue and handle it. He didn't do that. The fault is 99% on him IMO.
So stupid.

He was the general manager. He’s not a low level skills coach. That isn’t just an on the ice job. He is responsible for MANAGING PEOPLE, it right there in his job title. To say he was powerless or too incompetent to understand that he needed to follow basic HR rules is completely false. Stop defending a guy who knowingly and intentionally did not do his job because he put winning above a human being(s).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So stupid.

He was the general manager. He’s not a low level skills coach. That isn’t just an on the ice job. He is responsible for MANAGING PEOPLE, it right there in his job title. To say he was powerless or too incompetent to understand that he needed to follow basic HR rules is completely false. Stop defending a guy who knowingly and intentionally did not do his job because he put winning above a human being(s).

It was reported it to the president and HR department was made aware, they should be in charge of the investigation from the second that happened. Period. A GM is a hockey side position, their job is to build a team roster what training would a Stan Bowman circa 2010 have as to how to handle a situation like this? Diddly squat.

Even today, a GM should not be the one running anything like this at all. It should go ASAP to the team president and HR department and hopefully the police department. Not the guy who's job it is to make freaking trades.

Ambiguity is a huge part of the problem here, there shouldn't be any ambiguity on who does what. It should be clearly defined by every team who is in charge of such a situation and what the chain of command is. The whole point of the non-hockey side operations of a team is to handle a situation like this which is a non-hockey situation, otherwise what is even the point of having those positions.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
They could have hired someone off the street and it would have been the same. Bowman is an unnecessary distraction and isnt some magical GM who will improve this team greatly.
Didn't the MapleLeafs do exactly that and the results were very different.... The TML core when Dubas was hired was probably as promising as the Hawks core.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
It was reported it to the president and HR department was made aware, they should be in charge of the investigation from the second that happened. Period. A GM is a hockey side position, their job is to build a team roster what training would a Stan Bowman circa 2010 have as to how to handle a situation like this? Diddly squat.

Even today, a GM should not be the one running anything like this at all. It should go ASAP to the team president and HR department and hopefully the police department. Not the guy who's job it is to make freaking trades.

Ambiguity is a huge part of the problem here, there shouldn't be any ambiguity on who does what. It should be clearly defined by every team who is in charge of such a situation and what the chain of command is. The whole point of the non-hockey side operations of a team is to handle a situation like this which is a non-hockey situation, otherwise what is even the point of having those positions.
There is no ambiguity here. You are just ignorant to the duties of a GM and as a citizen. Bowman treated victims as impediments to winning.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
especially with winners
Is Scotty coming too? Cuz Jr ain't winning shit without daddy unless well it's a cheese burger eating contest. Yeah we get it look the other way if it's a winner right. NHL and it's group just showing over and over again they rather play the greatest hits over n over vs trying to find new blood to solve problems. Never seen a league defended by fans on this country club musical chairs hires they call a process. How long before DJ Smith and Woodcraft back ? Even better how long before that perineal loser Gallant back?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There is no ambiguity here. You are just ignorant to the duties of a GM and as a citizen.

GM puts together a roster and does things like manage the salary cap which they don't even do that alone.

I think you are mistaken on what a GM does. Why do you think teams have team presidents and other staff. Why do you think teams have HR departments?

If a GM is supposed to handle all this (which is clearly ridiculous) what's the point of those other positions.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Beach being okay with it is just one part of the story. And yes, that could just be a function of his own healing. However, Beach could have forgiven Bowman for that reason without inviting Bowman to come work with his team. The invitation for him to come out says that Beach respects the work Bowman is currently doing. Same reason Sheldon Kennedy recommends this hire.

I'm sorry, but forgiveness by victims is a testament to the strength of character of Beach and Kennedy, not Bowman's character.

I'd be more impressed if the later victims were as forgiving. Wonder why he didn't ask the HS victim or the other Black Ace their opinion?

Plausible deniability isn’t the route the Oilers or Bowman are taking here. Nothing is being denied. Bowman has admitted to wrongdoing in the Beach incident. He’s not denying anything wrong happened, he has owned up to his mistakes.

Did he own up to the fact that his inactions played a part in more victims? AFAIK all Bowman did was say he felt for the other victims, which is a pretty lame and superficial answer tbh.

Nevertheless, whatever you think of Bowman, it's clear the NHL needs an incident reporting mechanism outside of the teams, and maybe even the league office itself. That way there is no hiding behind "it wasn't my job". And victims can bypass a crap environment like the one in Chicago.

That's correct, I blame alot of those players for doing absolutely nothing about it as well

Not just nothing, but they were bullying Beach.

It's why I will never think of a guy like Toews as a "great leader" ever again. That crap is going down in your locker room and you don't shut it down? He's a fraud.

And from all indications the Hawks are still trash.

The Blackhawks team president McDonagh was informed of the issue and said he would take over the issue and handle it. He didn't do that.

According to Bowman. Was not corroborated by others. In fact there were other times in the report where Bowman was the one assuring people that an investigation would happen ... he just "forgot" about those conversations. We just have to take his word for it I guess, because clearly he proved to be such a man of his word when he made those promises of action and then didn't follow up.

The fault is 99% on him IMO.

Gee why stop at 99%. Just make it 100% and then the rehab tour, endorsements from Beach/Kennedy, etc. all that becomes unnecessary. And he could have come out in the press conference and just said "wouldn't change a thing, I did everything right" while wearing a shirt that says "Respect the Chain of Command" on the front and "The President Said He'll Handle it," on the back.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm sorry, but forgiveness by victims is a testament to the strength of character of Beach and Kennedy, not Bowman's character.

I'd be more impressed if the later victims were as forgiving. Wonder why he didn't ask the HS victim or the other Black Ace their opinion?

Did he own up to the fact that his inactions played a part in more victims? AFAIK all Bowman did was say he felt for the other victims, which is a pretty lame and superficial answer tbh.

Nevertheless, whatever you think of Bowman, it's clear the NHL needs an incident reporting mechanism outside of the teams, and maybe even the league office itself. That way there is no hiding behind "it wasn't my job". And victims can bypass a crap environment like the one in Chicago.

It's why I will never think of a guy like Toews as a "great leader" ever again. That crap is going down in your locker room and you don't shut it down? He's a fraud.

According to Bowman. Was not corroborated by others. In fact there were other times in the report where Bowman was the one assuring people that an investigation would happen ... he just "forgot" about those conversations. We just have to take his word for it I guess, because clearly he proved to be such a man of his word when he made those promises of action and then didn't follow up.

Gee why stop at 99%. Just make it 100% and then the rehab tour, endorsements from Beach/Kennedy, etc. all that becomes unnecessary. And he could have come out in the press conference and just said "wouldn't change a thing, I did everything right" while wearing a shirt that says "Respect the Chain of Command" on the front and "The President Said He'll Handle it," on the back.

So you are speculating that McDonagh did not know?

I don't think anyone disputes that McDonagh was informed. The HR department knew at that point.

He's the president of the organization, who in your opinion should be handling the situation at that point?

There is a mechanism in place for these situations too it's called a HR department, its whole point in existing is this exact kind of situation. The NHL should have one too sure (I believe they do actually), but it would be effectively a HR department is what you're describing.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Has anyone called you a terrible person for defending the hire?
Have you read a damn thing I've posted? I've repeatedly said I don't like the hire. Take your torches and pitchforks and go home already. Touch some grass, or lick a window.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Sure, forgiveness is a testament to Kennedy and Beach's character. It's that, but it could also be a testament to their belief in Bowman, at least they state as such.

Did he talk to other victims? At the HS, that one is unrelated to the NHL or the Hawks, has anyone spoke to that victim? Do we even know if that victim's name is public and can even be reached during an ongoing lawsuit? Ditto with the other victim. There could be many reasons why they can't currently be reached out to. The prime one being that those cases aren't complete and are ongoing legal matters.

Did he own up to the fact that his inactions played a part in more victims? Yes. He said he made a mistake and what he had done in the past wasn't good enough. He said it in words and ALSO with his actions. As he took time to work with Kennedy and learn more about how to handle these situations moving forward and what he did wrong in the past.

"It's clear the NHL needs an incident reporting mechanism outside of the teams, and maybe even the league office itself." Sure that sounds like a good idea. I'm not an expert of HR policy in organizations but there could be reasons why this isn't done this way. But on the surface, it seems a reasonable idea.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Did he talk to other victims? At the HS, that one is unrelated to the NHL or the Hawks, has anyone spoke to that victim? Do we even know if that victim's name is public and can even be reached during an ongoing lawsuit?

That lawsuit was settled, but the Hawks slapped on an NDA. It's not public, but the mother gave an interview, so he's definitely reachable. But considering he's a victim that would not have happened had the Hawks org done their job, I think his feelings should carry weight too.

Ditto with the other victim. There could be many reasons why they can't currently be reached out to. The prime one being that those cases aren't complete and are ongoing legal matters.

Fair enough on that one, because that is ongoing. At this point, Bowman might end up a witness in that lawsuit, so that would certainly be a consideration.

Did he own up to the fact that his inactions played a part in more victims? Yes. He said he made a mistake and what he had done in the past wasn't good enough. He said it in words and ALSO with his actions. As he took time to work with Kennedy and learn more about how to handle these situations moving forward and what he did wrong in the past.

But when directly asked about whether he'd spoken to other victims, he effectively dodged it with a superficial statement of generic concern. At this point, he should have just said no, but he'd like to, or no but he's free to contact me, or something. PR speak and PR concerns are what got them all in trouble in the first place. If he really wants to show he's changed his approach, speaking bluntly and honestly on these things would be a start. The ease with which he slipped into "cover my ass" speak did not sit well with me.

"It's clear the NHL needs an incident reporting mechanism outside of the teams, and maybe even the league office itself." Sure that sounds like a good idea. I'm not an expert of HR policy in organizations but there could be reasons why this isn't done this way. But on the surface, it seems a reasonable idea.

It has to be this way apparently, because coaches and execs apparently don't want to have to deal with it, and HR departments are first and foremost there to legally insulate the team, not protect the employees, as they ultimately answer to the top execs.

An independent department that does not give a crap that a team is on a Cup run and can initiate an investigation quickly and has full access and authority is what you need in situations like these.

Reactions: Memento

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad