RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
“My team didn’t take him so they had a good reason and could not possibly be wrong”
The good reason was that they liked other players better. 6 teams liked other players better, to be exact. One of those teams took a Russian D with the exact same type of contract situation over Michkov, actually. But it must’ve been the horrible and xenophobic “Russian Factor” at work there too, right? Michkov must be from the wrong part of Russia for them I guess 😂.

As for whether it was right or wrong, that remains to be seen.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
The good reason was that they liked other players better. 6 teams liked other players better, to be exact. One of those teams took a Russian D with the exact same type of contract situation over Michkov, actually. But it must’ve been the horrible and xenophobic “Russian Factor” at work there too, right? Michkov must be from the wrong part of Russia for them I guess 😂.

I mean it was 2 years instead of 3 , but that was certainly a bold pic . How’s he trending ? He seemed like more of a project whereas Michkov was likely capable of jumping right in if not for the 3 year ( the perception at the time ) wait. Some distinctions, but this is one of your better arguments so far .

Last edited:

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
If the draftees are considered in the same tier, then for sure clubs will select the D or C ahead of the winger. But Michkov was in a tier of his own. That class was Bedard and then Michkov and then the next group.

This 100%, many people haven't actually consistently watched him play in this thread. It's hard to believe how good he is if you just see what people are writing on HFboards. Guy has been playing chess against checker players for years, the guy just thinks the game a step ahead, a lot of people are going to be surprised next year. (I'd like your post but I got reported too much haha)

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
If the draftees are considered in the same tier, then for sure clubs will select the D or C ahead of the winger. But Michkov was in a tier of his own. That class was Bedard and then Michkov and then the next group.
This post is self-defeating and makes no sense. Michkov was “in a tier of his own” immediately after Bedard, but went 7th?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Why Michkov went 7th is a matter of public record. We heard plenty in the lead-up to his draft that the fears over his 3 year contract and the geopolitical situation were making him slip.

Ignoring that public record and insisting that it must have been something else is just being obtuse in order to imply that Michkov had some sort of other noteworthy deficiencies that would justify passing on him.
“A matter of public record”, as if every team that passed on him released a statement as to why they didn’t select him, making sure to clarify that it wasn’t his talent they were passing on 😂. Mental gymnastics at their finest.

“…fears over his 3 year contract and the geopolitical situation were making him slip.”

Is that why ARZ selected a Russian D in the exact same geopolitical situation with the exact same type of contract situation over him?

Obtuse is pretending that the “Russian Factor” had anything at all to do with Michkov going 7th. Teams liked other guys more than him, end of story.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
“A matter of public record”, as if every team that passed on him released a statement as to why they didn’t select him, making sure to clarify that it wasn’t his talent they were passing on 😂. Mental gymnastics at their finest.

“…fears over his 3 year contract and the geopolitical situation were making him slip.”

Is that why ARZ selected a Russian D in the exact same geopolitical situation with the exact same type of contract situation over him?

Obtuse is pretending that the “Russian Factor” had anything at all to do with Michkov going 7th. Teams liked other guys more than him, end of story.
Russian factor could have anything at all for Arizona in top 6. Its not like they made their first not so great pick, its not like it was the last.

Teams had reasons to not draft Rantanen high, Barzal high, Mihckov high etc. Not the first not, not the last.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Ah, yes, the russian with character concerns. Funny how that never came up with Nathan Mackinnon despite he, too, being the ultimate competitor.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I mean it was 2 years instead of 3 , but that was certainly a bold pic . How’s he trending ? He seemed like more of a project whereas Michkov was likely capable of jumping right in if not for the 3 year ( the perception at the time ) wait. Some distinctions, but this is one of your better arguments so far .
He’s actually trending really really good.

The teams that are drafting these kids usually don’t take the better player now but rather the player they think will be better and will have a greater impact in 5 years +.

6 teams felt they were better off with C’s or D’s than a small skilled winger.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Ah, yes, the russian with character concerns. Funny how that never came up with Nathan Mackinnon despite he, too, being the ultimate competitor.
Want to point out where I said anything like that? Nice strawman argument.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I said “tend to” and “most things being equal.” And Lafraniere, in hindsight, was a mistake. Rags would have been better off with either Stutzle or Byfield.

Laf had a good season last year, and then a huge playoff. So far he's still ahead of Byfield, and while Tim is ahead of Laf, he will need to recover from last years down season (just 18 goals) to keep it that way.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Laf had a good season last year, and then a huge playoff. So far he's still ahead of Byfield, and while Tim is ahead of Laf, he will need to recover from last years down season (just 18 goals) to keep it that way.
It's notable that Laf's good season was still worse than Stutzle's bad season fighting through a wrist injury all year.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It's notable that Laf's good season was still worse than Stutzle's bad season fighting through a wrist injury all year.
That’s very debatable. Laf only really got going in December and he never got PP1 time.

Last year I seen him twice (live) after December and Stutzle once. He was noticeably better and was very dangerous every time he got on the ice (although no point in the first of those two games).

Give him PP1 time and he’s either a PPG or better last year.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Would Lafreniere be considered a guy who contributes even when not scoring where Stutzle isn’t?
Stutzle contributes more than Lafreniere when not scoring.
That’s very debatable. Laf only really got going in December and he never got PP1 time.

Last year I seen him twice (live) after December and Stutzle once. He was noticeably better and was very dangerous every time he got on the ice (although no point in the first of those two games).

Give him PP1 time and he’s either a PPG or better last year.

Laf had a great year but he's still the third best player on his line. Stutzle dropped 90 points in 78 games when he was healthy without a guy like panarin.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Stutzle contributes more than Lafreniere when not scoring.

Laf had a great year but he's still the third best player on his line. Stutzle dropped 90 points in 78 games when he was healthy without a guy like panarin.
In what ways? Lafreniere plays a heavier, more aggressive game. I like Stutzle with the puck but not without it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad