Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I also do strongly suspect that behind closed doors the majority of people in the hockey industry have a rather different take on the sex scandal than vocal fans on social media. One they will never share with the public, but are pretty confident about in private.

I can only assume you're implying that all of the facts from the public report suggest John Doe willingly engaged in homosexual behavior and then lied about it afterward.

In that case, yes, I do suspect the majority of people 'in the biz' have a different opinion than people expressing public outrage over this man having gainful employment.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I mean the guy plays an active part in covering up sexual assault, resigns with I'm sure full pay after it comes to light, sits at home for two years texting Sheldon Kennedy, and then just walks into what should be one of the most desirable jobs in hockey? This is the man now blessed with building a team around McDavid?

Nah man. I'm fine with him having a 2nd chance job in hockey, but it should have been chief toilet scrubber for at least a year. Like you displayed gross incompetence the last time you were in this position, seems f***ed up he just get to start in the same one again.
no, the roster is set

Is it not an established fact that the purpose of the cover-up was to avoid distracting the team during the playoffs?

That's not "a human mistake", that's a calculated decision.
a decision made by the President of the hockey club....not Bowman

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Why did the Oilers get rid of him then if he was so good? Shouldve resigned him :thumbu:
Personally, unlike the majority prevailing view, I didn't see Holland as a bad GM and needed to go. Yes, there were some dumb contracts handed out (Nurse), but honestly, despite his past record of success, I think the Oilers did him wrong by moving him to something else, and really disrespected him. Surely, we can all agree it was better to keep him than hire Bowman.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I just can’t understand why they would think the juice is worth the squeeze here. They are free to hire Stan Bowman. Stan Bowman is free to be a GM of an NHL team if somebody wants to hire him in that capacity. That’s all fine and good. Maybe he’s a changed man. Maybe he’s a changed leader. Maybe he’s not. I have no idea.

But I’m not sure why a franchise would invite this upon themselves. Let alone one this close to the Cup. If the roster is so set, why do you need Stan Bowman and the circus that everybody knew was sure to follow? Is there such a dearth of hockey minds around that the options were Stan Bowman or nothing? Is Stan Bowman the key to keeping McDavid in Edmonton?

Strip away all the moral issues and just thinking of this logistically, why was this the move that Edmonton needed to make?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I just don’t know if Stan Bowman knew how serious it was. All he knew that the video coach made some advances towards a player. I don’t disagree that he should have done more, but to say he is a trash human being who thinks sexual assault is ok or no big deal is wrong. If he knew about the full seriousness of the allegations, then ok call him whatever you want. But to me, it seems like nobody really knew how serious it was.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Some of this outrage needs to be pointed at Katz, he's unequivocally a pure greed tyrant that has zero ties or affiliation to the team, city, or hockey itself. This is a business move that only equals in his eyes to more inflated seat and concession sales, he hopes this delivers another deep playoff run to exploit his downtown ice district monopoly that the fan base continues to be blind to so he can stuff his pockets with more billions. A sad day in the history of the league, truly embarrassing.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I just don’t know if Stan Bowman knew how serious it was. All he knew that the video coach made some advances towards a player. I don’t disagree that he should have done more, but to say he is a trash human being who thinks sexual assault is ok or no big deal is wrong. If he knew about the full seriousness of the allegations, then ok call him whatever you want. But to me, it seems like nobody really knew how serious it was.
He knew it was more than advances. He knew that a player was saying Aldrich threatened to keep him off of the roster if sexual acts weren't performed. He knew that the allegation was sexual coercion, which is sexual assault in Illinois, among other states.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Basically this. Sort of the age we live in, most people are going off of that investigation which was made public that didn't even have too much good detail into Q and Bowman's knowledge and involvement. Actually some people are going based on that, most people didn't even read it, as it was lengthy and dry.

Bowman is objectively a good GM. Has good relationships around the league. It is a good choice considering he still has most of the GM's in the league on his contact list. GMs likely have more intimate knowledge on what happened and Bowman and Q got vouched for as being good people that didn't know anything I am guessing.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He knew it was more than advances. He knew that a player was saying Aldrich threatened to keep him off of the roster if sexual acts weren't performed. He knew that the allegation was sexual coercion, which is sexual assault in Illinois, among other states.
and his boss....John McDonaugh, the President of the Team...said he'd "take care of it"

(and no, all he knew were allegations against the Black Ace player)

Last edited:
Reactions: 67 others

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Yeah but when did he know it is the question, and to what validity did he know it was true. One can only speculate. I know you and others certainly haven't felt shy about doing so in a negative light towards Bowman, but the people who know him seem to be speculating in a more positive light, so there must be something to him being a good person that doesn't condone known sexual assault.

Reactions: TheNumber4

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
I just can’t understand why they would think the juice is worth the squeeze here. They are free to hire Stan Bowman. Stan Bowman is free to be a GM of an NHL team if somebody wants to hire him in that capacity. That’s all fine and good. Maybe he’s a changed man. Maybe he’s a changed leader. Maybe he’s not. I have no idea.

But I’m not sure why a franchise would invite this upon themselves. Let alone one this close to the Cup. If the roster is so set, why do you need Stan Bowman and the circus that everybody knew was sure to follow? Is there such a dearth of hockey minds around that the options were Stan Bowman or nothing? Is Stan Bowman the key to keeping McDavid in Edmonton?

Strip away all the moral issues and just thinking of this logistically, why was this the move that Edmonton needed to make?
and that's the thing, he's not worth it without the baggage not sure why the oiler thought he was worth with the baggage.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
and that's the thing, he's not worth it without the baggage not sure why the oiler thought he was worth with the baggage.
To be frank, nothing about this hiring makes sense. The timing, the hire itself... Unless they were deathly afraid he was going to go elsewhere... Even then, there are better candidates. Just reeks of another Bob Nicholson hire. Dude is poison.

Zoupa

Jul 7, 2024
What was the specific incident that Bowman failed to report that got him suspended?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Mcdavid was the one who brought in Jackson and Knoblauch. Stan Bowman is a Oilers organization hire, wouldn't be surprised if Katz demanded this guy.

He probably demanded the last 3 GM hires (Chiarelli, Holland, and now Bowman).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Katz's main criteria is if they won a cup before. Katz telling Jackson straight up to hire Bowman once he was reinstated doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility at all.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Man just when I was gonna root for the Oilers and McDavid to win the Cup now that Holland is gone.

May the Oilers not even make the playoffs next season (this has nothing to do with my feelings towards their fans or McDrai).

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad