Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
It is not a stretch to assume that if even a hint of this kind of thing happens on the Oilers, that Bowman will be the one freaking out about it the most.

Only in the sense that he knows if it happens again he'll likely never work in hockey again even at a lower level, and his name will only ever be mentioned again with utter disgust.

The thing is, if he'll cover up something that big, there's zero doubt in my mind that he'll cover up just about anything, and have no problem covering up something less awful but still serious.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
imagine being this ignorant of the situation and spewing it as fact
Hmm. You do realize that this was well documented in the media. It's not like there's private knowledge that Bowman reported it and did the right thing that only you are privy to.

Also, I can guarantee that if the Flames made this hiring, you would not be here defending him.

Makes me sick. Especially knowing that between the time it was reported, there was a meeting with management and Aldrich actually tried to sexually assault another intern. This would have been prevented had Bowman spoke out.

There is no defending this. Your team hired a scumbag, and if I was the parent of a young player in the Oiler organization, I would be telling him to request a trade.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Only in the sense that he knows if it happens again he'll likely never work in hockey again even at a lower level, and his name will only ever be mentioned again with utter disgust.

The thing is, if he'll cover up something that big, there's zero doubt in my mind that he'll cover up just about anything, and have no problem covering up something less awful but still serious.
He never covered anything up. He was part of a group that decided to wait a few weeks to deal with it. His boss (McDonaugh) said he would deal with it, so when Bowman saw that Aldrich was removed that summer he assumed that it was. He wasn't given full information or responsibility on the Aldrich matter.

Seravelli lays out his defense of Bowman pretty good here

I do think that if he were in that situation again, and Jackson said he would deal with it, Bowman would follow up on it himself independently. He would make sure it became public

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Chiarelli, Holland and now Bowman.
It’s a testament to McDavid’s greatness that he managed to drag this team to game 7 of the SCF.
Not sure if he can do it again though.

Chiarelli and Holland were part of the old boys network but just incompetent. Bowman is also an old boys hire but goes way beyond incompetency. Katz is the one common thread throughout all of this. Not surprised that he wouldn’t see an issue here.

It’s good to see the huge backlash occurring even amongst Edmonton fans. This goes beyond hockey.

Last edited:

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
He never covered anything up. He was part of a group that decided to wait a few weeks to deal with it. His boss (McDonaugh) said he would deal with it, so when Bowman saw that Aldrich was removed that summer he assumed that it was. He wasn't given full information or responsibility on the Aldrich matter.

I do think that if he were in that situation again, and Jackson said he would deal with it, Bowman would follow up on it himself independently. He would make sure it became public

But what do the other “unbiased reporters” Spector and Gazdic think?

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Hmm. You do realize that this was well documented in the media. It's not like there's private knowledge that Bowman reported it and did the right thing that only you are privy to.
have you read the Jenner and Block report?

Also, I can guarantee that if the Flames made this hiring, you would not be here defending him.
let's face it, Flames fan would laugh at whoever the Oilers hired

Makes me sick. Especially knowing that between the time it was reported, there was a meeting with management and Aldrich actually tried to sexually assault another intern. This would have been prevented had Bowman spoke out.
-he did speak out...he heard the "allegations" and reported them to the President of the club John McDonough
-McDonough said he'd "take care of it"
-Bowman went back to concentrating on the team's playoff run
-2 months later Aldrich was off the team
his fatal mistake was not following up on it

seriously, read the Block and Jenner report to get your facts straight

There is no defending this. Your team hired a scumbag, and if I was the parent of a young player in the Oiler organization, I would be telling him to request a trade.
LMAO guarantee no one will request a trade LOL

Sep 18, 2009
have you read the Jenner and Block report?

let's face it, Flames fan would laugh at whoever the Oilers hired

-he did speak out...he heard the "allegations" and reported them to the President of the club John McDonough

seriously, read the Block and Jenner report to get your facts straight

LMAO guarantee no one will request a trade LOL
i will take mcdaivid and draisstil

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Kudos to the Oilers fans speaking out against this.

It's a lot easier to tell yourself a story that each of these guys in Chicago thought someone else was handling it and keep cheering on a team that is on the precipice of greatness.

I thought Chevy should have lost his job but obviously he was very lucky the Line in the sand drawn by Bettman was right in front of him...

People make mistakes, and they can change. I don't subscribe to the notion that Bowman is forever a POS.

However, there was literally an additional life ruined because of his (and others) lack of leadership in a senior leadership position. Any kind of justification of his responsibility and lack of action as a senior leader of a billion dollar hockey team is just wrong.

I have no idea why the NHL thought allowing this guy a GM job again was an appropriate next step. Back into hockey is one thing. Prove yourself and be a true advocate to prevent this from happening to others. Atone for the damage you played a part in allowing to happen.

Back into a senior leadership position right out of suspension is another scenario.

Hopefully he recognizes how lucky he is and is able to help spread awareness so this doesn't happen to some other young adult.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This is no way absolves him of responsibility.

Burying your head in the sand once you've reported it to the boss is not even close to what is needed in situations like this.

This kind of attitude is what enables these things to happen. Leaders need to be leaders.

It's not the fans who asked for this, I get that. But the Oilers organization should be embarrassed and it's nice to see some of their fans recognize that.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Burying your head in the sand once you've reported it to the boss is not even close to what is needed in situations like this.

This kind of attitude is what enables these things to happen. Leaders need to be leaders.

It's not the fans who asked for this, I get that. But the Oilers organization should be embarrassed and it's nice to see some of their fans recognize that.
yes, he made a mistake not following and paid for it with his job
Cheveldayoff could have spoken up too...there's lots of blame go around

he didn't "bury his head in the sand"....he brought to his boss and his boss literally said "I'll handle it"...he assumed he did handle it since Aldrich was gone 2 months later

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It was Bowman's decision to be a knee-bending little bitch and respect the "chain of command" rather than go to the authorities with the information about... you know... his players being f***ING RAPED.

If ANYONE had a single f***ing ball between them this asshole would have been in prison and not able to f***ING RAPE EVEN MORE PEOPLE AFTER HE LEFT THE BLACKHAWKS.

Anyone defending this is a piece of shit. The number of people defending this here indicates this forum is full of complete pieces of shit. f*** this place.
FFS he wasn't "raped"...you need to get the facts right cause you are looking foolish

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
I’m hoping Drai and McD refuse to stay now…I’d love it if they openly refused to play for Bowman and demanded trades out, letting everyone know why…won’t happen but would be great if a star player had the balls to do it

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Why would you take a massive PR hit like this to hire literally one of the worst GMs of the past decade?

I mean hell, they could've just brought back Chiarelli for free and the team still would've been better off.

The more hilarious part is Bowman already f***ed the Oilers once with the Jones contract setting the market for Nurse. Now he's going there to finish the job lmao

The Oilers had their pick of GM candidates this summer, and they decided to go with the guy who traded Panarin for Brandon Saad and covered up a sexual assault?
How did he cover up a sexual assault? Please be factual and thanks in by advance for your reply.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020

Almost the whole Blackhawk team knew this coach was touching people. Brent Sopel and another made reference to this. Your response will also mean each one of those players are also to blame.
SA awareness has changed a lot in the last 15 years.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You realize your first two sentences contradict and your second sentence is literally the definition of "covering it up", right?

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

And the way they dealt with it was to quietly allow him to resign. Then he went on to assault a teenager.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Almost the whole Blackhawk team knew this coach was touching people. Brent Sopel and another made reference to this. Your response will also mean each one of those players are also to blame.
SA awareness has changed a lot in the last 15 years.
Yes and no. Agreed, the culture now is a lot different.

Leadership expectations are a higher standard than individuals. They are trained in how to address these situations and have ethical and legal responsibilities on how to act.

I get in hockey that culture may have been even worse to deal with, but leaders are supposed to know how to deal with that.

None of this absolves or Bowman from his responsibilities. I don't get how you can give someone such a high level position after demonstrating a clear negligence of his duties so recently.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

"He never covered anything up. He just made sure nobody told anyone anything for the sake of the cup run."

SMH.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
yes, he made a mistake not following and paid for it with his job
Cheveldayoff could have spoken up too...there's lots of blame go around

he didn't "bury his head in the sand"....he brought to his boss and his boss literally said "I'll handle it"...he assumed he did handle it since Aldrich was gone 2 months later
Assuming your boss handled a sexual assault is burying your head in the sand. Sorry. Bringing it to your boss is the first step in the process. Pretty much the bare minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad