Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
No man, it doesn't end there. In this case it did, obviously.

If you are fine with the guy, nothing I say is going to change your mind today.

I would suggest it is okay to have high expectations of your leader.

I'm not even sure the expectations were all that high. Yet they still failed the test.

Honestly, the moment they found out and the first thought was about the impact on the Cup run or how to manage it around a Cup run, they failed the test right then and there. And any fan that would excuse their inaction by that same reasoning ... Sorry to say but you failed it too.

Crow

May 19, 2014
"He never covered anything up. He just made sure nobody told anyone anything for the sake of the cup run."

SMH.
You’ve got a lot to learn about what his options were in a corporate environment if you believe that is what happened. He told his boss who said he would take care of it. In that position, that meant to him that his boss would start an investigation into the matter. You cannot, as an employee go around sharing information about accusations as serious as this with the rest of the company or the public. Thats not fair to the accuser or the accused.

You also can’t go to the authorities on someone else’s behalf. Beach would have had to do that.

You guys are making so many assumptions it’s absurd. The vast majority of people here sound like they’ve never had a job with any responsibility.

I’m not defending his actions as clearly he could have done more but if you are going to Monday morning quarterback then maybe you should suggest something that is a reasonable possibility.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
And the way they dealt with it was to quietly allow him to resign. Then he went on to assault a teenager.
They not only allowed him to resign, they paid him a severance, wrote him a positive referral, gave him a day to celebrate with the Cup and allowed his name to be engraved on the Cup (which has since been x’d out). This was after they gave him the option to participate in an investigation or resign.

You do those things not to raise any questions in hopes it all just goes away. “Hey why didn’t Brad get his day with the Cup?”

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Drunkards, wife beaters, gamblers, alleged child molesters and now sexual violence enablers. Wonderful gathering by all means, the only thing left is a refined PR statement from Mcdrai. I am sure it’s in the pipeline already.
While I don't like the hire, this is an inflammatory post.

Reads like clickbait.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
One of the dumbest and most embarrassing front office hirings ive seen in the 30 yrs ive been following the NHL.

I honestly dont see the upside.

- Terrible person that comes with bad publicity and immediately stains the organization.
-Terrible GM that has a history of bad bad trades and signings.
- Team didnt consult their top 2 franchise players who are on the verge of walking into UFA.

What possible reasoning or upside is there in signing this human trash?

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
You’ve got a lot to learn about what his options were in a corporate environment if you believe that is what happened. He told his boss who said he would take care of it. In that position, that meant to him that his boss would start an investigation into the matter. You cannot, as an employee go around sharing information about accusations as serious as this with the rest of the company or the public. Thats not fair to the accuser or the accused.

You also can’t go to the authorities on someone else’s behalf. Beach would have had to do that.

You guys are making so many assumptions it’s absurd. The vast majority of people here sound like they’ve never had a job with any responsibility.

I’m not defending his actions as clearly he could have done more but if you are going to Monday morning quarterback then maybe you should suggest something that is a reasonable possibility.
I work in an office. If I got wind of this occurring and my boss said that, and a week later this dink is still working for the company, it's not one I would work for anymore. And I would be in the media. And I would be going above his head. So don't give me this nonsense.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's also more probable for it to happen more often now that we all know there's no consequences.

So there's another perspective of it.
He did have his consequence. He was dragged through the mud on this and had to leave his team in disgrace. It's not like he was the abuser, and he was not even the top decision maker. He was told by his superior that the matter was dealt with. He definitely paid more than Toews, Kane, Keith and Cheveldayoff

Crow

May 19, 2014
I work in an office. If I got wind of this occurring and my boss said that, and a week later this dink is still working for the company, it's not one I would work for anymore. And I would be in the media. And I would be going above his head. So don't give me this nonsense.
I don’t know what ‘nonsense I’m giving you’ as I said he could have done more and I agree with you he should have handled it much differently.

I would have expected BA to have been suspended with pay until an investigation would be complete and if it was not I would like to think I would have raised a stink about it until it was or I was terminated.

That above is his culpability not:

-he didn’t report it to his superiors
-he actively covered it up (based on what?)
-he didn’t go to the authorities

Accuracy matters no matter how outraged you are.

What are the facts?

Bowman knew about it. Bowman didn't do a thing about it. It's pretty black and white.

Defend it all you want. I'm done responding to you.
See that’s just objectively not true. Not sure why you have to lie about what he didn’t do when what actually happened is bad enough.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
"He never covered anything up. He just made sure nobody told anyone anything for the sake of the cup run."

SMH.
If the Hawks removed Aldrich after the cup run and brought all this to light, and dealt with it then, that wouldn't have been amazing but it would have been understandable and people would have accepted it. What turned this situation evil was what happened over that summer. Bowman owns responsibility for that but the actual cover up started and ended with McDonaugh

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
FFS he wasn't "raped"...you need to get the facts right cause you are looking foolish

If this happened to a woman, you would call it rape (speaking as a woman here). Let's not have double-standards. Sexual assault IS considered rape in most parts of the world. Aldrich is a rapist. Whether the victims or perpetrators are men, women, intersex, whatever, people in the civilized world call it what it is: rape. Kyle Beach, Black Ace 2, and the teenaged boy were raped, as much as Sheldon Kennedy and Theo Fleury were raped, as much as it happens throughout the world.

To minimize it the way you consistently have throughout this thread...it scares me, knowing people will minimize or - fate forbid - justify things like this. These are three human lives we're talking about, all with human dreams and human feelings - all of which were ruined by a single predator who was enabled by multiple people who prized an inanimate object over morality and basic humanity. I hope you understand that. I am not religious, but I'm praying that people come to that realization; the sooner people can realize that these are not just numbers, not just statistics, but people who are victims, maybe...maybe we can move forward as a specie.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Can an Oiler fan that is happy about this hiring please enlighten me on why this was a good move?

Lets pretend his name is Joe Smith and he wasnt a huge dbag with zero moral compass.

Joe Smith history:

Panarin for Saad LMAO
1st,3rd Dano for Ladd LMAO
Seth Jones trade/ Seth Jones Contract
A dozen more similar transactions that haulted any chance of Chicago being more dominant for a longer period of time.

This dude is probably top 5 worst GM in the NHL right now...... why hire him???

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Exactly. The idea that the GM can't or shouldn't be expected to follow up when he's been told about one of his coaches coercing one of his players to perform sexual acts is laughable. If Stan Bowman wanted to find out what was going on with Aldrich, he would have found out. If he threw a fit to make sure an investigation happened, I bet an investigation would have happened. And if not, he could have gone to the media because he knew he would have another job in this good ol' boys league of nepotism. He showed no willingness to engage with the seriousness of this situation until after he was caught up in it and punished. He was more than happy to pass it onto someone else and not deal with it anymore.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
He showed no willingness to engage with the seriousness of this situation until after he was caught up in it and punished. He was more than happy to pass it onto someone else and not deal with it anymore.

Yeah, the whole "he did his job, the rest is not his responsibility" is hard to buy. An NHL GM is incredibly powerful. If he had pushed the issue there's no way he'd have been suspended over it, and even if he had been fired he'd have been hailed as a hero for doing the right thing at professional cost. Instead, he's an enabler at worst, and a coward at best.

I swear, some of his defenders must be Uvalde cops or something.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
What are the facts?

Bowman knew about it. Bowman didn't do a thing about it. It's pretty black and white.

Defend it all you want. I'm done responding to you.
You are aware that Aldrich told everyone it was a consensual encounter when it was internally investigated right?

At that point in time, there was no evidence except someone's word against his. Which means it would have gone nowhere in court and you can't fire him with cause. Allegedly there were "I'm being witch hunted because I am Gay" threats too. Which is tricky.

We know years later that he eventually got caught in the acts and served time.

But at the time? You actually need proof or a confession, or a police complaint to take action(only Kyle Beach could file said report and he didn't). Failing that, you best bet is to get the employee to quit......which is exactly what they did.

Reactions: Crow

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Reactions: Crow

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
and the 2nd step is the boss, the guy who said he would "take care of it"...taking care of it

I'm the COO of a company that employs about 200 people, which is more than an average NHL team.
If one of my General Managers came to me with an accusation of someone sexually assaulting one of my staff, and two months later, that person was still with the company, I would be willing to bet that my GM would have a pretty serious conversation with me.

It's a horrible look. It's a horrible hire.

Very odd hill to die on.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
He did have his consequence. He was dragged through the mud on this and had to leave his team in disgrace. It's not like he was the abuser, and he was not even the top decision maker. He was told by his superior that the matter was dealt with. He definitely paid more than Toews, Kane, Keith and Cheveldayoff

......and the second the NHL let him back in, the Oilers hired him.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Are you seriously trying to say that nobody can report a crime other than the victim?
No. You can report whatever you want. I guess I was trying to say, in this case that it would be pointless if the adult victim of the sexual assault refused to be a part of involving the police and you did not witness it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad