Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
It would be far less likely for this scandal to happen again under Bowman than for any other GM in the league. The evil he was guilty of was an evil of ignorance. He never ordered for Ulritch's crimes to be denied and covered up. He ordered for that issue to be kicked down to the future, and responsibility passed down to underlings until it was forgotten. Every step of the way, he was wilfully ignorant of exactly what happened. This can happen to anyone who is laser focused on the Stanley Cup.

These evils can easily happen again but it's not going to happen to Bowman again. No one is more educated on this now. He learned the hard way. He's seen how this can happen first hand
It's also more probable for it to happen more often now that we all know there's no consequences.

So there's another perspective of it.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Yes and no. Agreed, the culture now is a lot different.

Leadership expectations are a higher standard than individuals. They are trained in how to address these situations and have ethical and legal responsibilities on how to act.

I get in hockey that culture may have been even worse to deal with, but leaders are supposed to know how to deal with that.

None of this absolves or Bowman from his responsibilities. I don't get how you can give someone such a high level position after demonstrating a clear negligence of his duties so recently.
Not sure why oilers wanted this controversy, but they went for it. I agree with Frank Seravalli's take ( video posted a little earlier) on this.
I've managed a little and when your boss says he is going to take care of something you let him do it. I assume Bowman saw the decision made by McDonough (2 months later) and figured it was handled properly. Bowman admits that he now should have checked what was done.

Assuming your boss handled a sexual assault is burying your head in the sand. Sorry. Bringing it to your boss is the first step in the process. Pretty much the bare minimum.
Disagree

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
You realize your first two sentences contradict and your second sentence is literally the definition of "covering it up", right?

Yeah, there's some serious contortions being put forth here to defend this move. Thankfully it's just a few people. But the ethical test was, in fact, seeing where one's priorities are. Bowman "reported it to his boss," but so what? *HE* had the power to do something too, he's not some mid-level exec.

Anyone defending this is a piece of shit. The number of people defending this here indicates this forum is full of complete pieces of shit. f*** this place.

It's a moral test. Is chasing the Cup more important than dealing with a sexual predator? Apparently to people like Bowman and at least some fans ... the answer is yes. I have no doubt some fans would gladly put off dealing with a player murdering someone if it meant winning a Cup.

Me, if I found out my team had covered something like this up, even if I found out years later after winning the Cup, I'd never be able to look back on that Cup win and feel great about it. It would taint it forever and I'd be pissed.

Not that it necessarily means the team wouldn't have won anyway, but let's be logical ... THEY believed it would become a negative distraction. And their reaction was that THEY chose to push it off as a result, whether onto someone else or down the road. Which means THEY believe that chasing a Cup is more important. Which means THEY are terrible people. And unfortunately, those who defend them are in that exact same boat as defending them is essentially admitting that they would have done the exact same thing.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Man, the logical and ethical contortions that a few Oiler fans (and to be fair it is just a few on here) are twisting themselves into in order to justify the hiring is just sad.

At the end of the day the fans don’t make these decisions so there’s nothing wrong with still supporting and cheering the team imo. But don’t try to justify the hiring based on your fan ship. As a society we need to move beyond that.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Assuming your boss handled a sexual assault is burying your head in the sand. Sorry. Bringing it to your boss is the first step in the process. Pretty much the bare minimum.
and the 2nd step is the boss, the guy who said he would "take care of it"...taking care of it

"He never covered anything up. He just made sure nobody told anyone anything for the sake of the cup run."

SMH.
show me a link where Bowman said this

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Man, the logical and ethical contortions that a few Oiler fans (and to be fair it is just a few on here) are twisting themselves into in order to justify the hiring is just sad.

At the end of the day the fans don’t make these decisions so there’s nothing wrong with still supporting and cheering the team imo. But don’t try to justify the hiring based on your fan ship. As a society we need to move beyond that.
no one is justifying anything...I've said countless times that Bowman is average at best and shouldn't have been hired based on bad PR alone

just get the facts straight is all

the ignorance is astounding here (though not surprising)

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Of course Frank "I've aged 15 years and gained 80 pounds" Seravelli would justify this shit. Guy's been looking for a job and why not kiss major ass to Edmonton sports writers and media of this shit. Darryl Katz found someone who can do massive bumps on his plane and probably do a 15 step diet plan, oh wait Seravelli would probably need to run for 5 minutes which probably is hard for him to do.

f*** Seravelli.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
no one is justifying anything...I've said countless times that Bowman is average at best and shouldn't have been hired based on bad PR alone

just get the facts straight is all

the ignorance is astounding here (though not surprising)
You’ve been caught constantly minimizing Bowman’s actions and laughing at others who point out your hypocrisy. Multiple posters have called you on it and you continue to double down.
Stop trying to minimize what Bowman did just because he’s now an Oiler.
This transcends sports and fandom.
My last post to you.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You’ve been caught constantly minimizing Bowman’s actions and laughing at others who point out your hypocrisy.
Stop trying to minimize what Bowman did just because he’s now an Oiler.
This transcends sports and fandom.
My last post to you.
show me where I "minimized" his actions please

oh wait you can't...or won't

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
and the 2nd step is the boss, the guy who said he would "take care of it"...taking care of it

show me a link where Bowman said this
No man, it doesn't end there. In this case it did, obviously.

If you are fine with the guy, nothing I say is going to change your mind today.

I would suggest it is okay to have high expectations of your leader.

Would you accept these excuses if it was your family member's GM who told his superior, and just left it at that. What if it was your brother, sister, mother even?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Dr. Disrespect, a streamer who cheated on his wife and then became a "protect the children" weirdo only to have been explicitly messaging with children to meet at events
ah. thanks for explaining. The first guy said a name and I didn't want to ask who it was.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So much wrong with this - but from a pure hockey standpoint…. Why? They just got within 1 goal of winning the cup, they had a great offseason up til now, and were looking like a cup favorite for the upcoming season? Even if Bowman had a clean record and even if he WAS a good GM this wouldn’t make sense. But factoring in the PR nightmare, the ethical component, AND the fact that he absolutely sucks as a GM… this looks like one of the single dumbest moves I’ve ever seen a team do.

Jackson probably doesn't have the time for the full time GM job, hes CEO of the whole thing. Meaning there's lots to oversee, not just hockey ops.

I'm presuming he didn't want to hire just a. yes man otherwise they would've promoted some AGM.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I agree, I expected the leader and President of the Hawks, John McDonough, to follow through his actions of taking care of it...he didn't until 2 months later and Aldrige still got a job afterwards
there's a lot of blame to go around and Bowman has said he should have done more but the buck stops at McDonough

Would you accept these excuses if it was your family member's GM who told his superior, and just left it at that. What if it was your brother, sister, mother even?
of course not, what Bowman did was unacceptable and has been accountable for his actions

he made a HUGE mistake not following up on the allegations and owned up to it and has been working with Sheldon Kennedy and his foundation...he literally called Beach the night before accepting the job from the Oilers and Beach gave him his blessing to take the job

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I agree, I expected the leader and President of the Hawks, John McDonough, to follow through his actions of taking care of it...he didn't until 2 months later and Aldrige still got a job afterwards
there's a lot of blame to go around and Bowman has said he should have done more but the buck stops at McDonough

of course not, what Bowman did was unacceptable and has been accountable for his actions

he made a HUGE mistake not following up on the allegations and owned up to it and has been working with Sheldon Kennedy and his foundation...he literally called Beach the night before accepting the job from the Oilers and Beach gave him his blessing to take the job
You keep telling people to read about it and then call the guy "Aldrige"

Maybe you should read about it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Well said. At some point posters need to put aside their fandom and look at the bigger issue. Again I think it’s just a handful of fans who refuse to do that.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad