Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I mean it's already been reported that the players did not have a say in this hiring.
McDavid is the #1 player in the world. He's a legend in the making.

How hard would it be for him to ask ownership to stop hiring creeps? It certainly would be easier than it was for Bergeron.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Why would you take a massive PR hit like this to hire literally one of the worst GMs of the past decade?

I mean hell, they could've just brought back Chiarelli for free and the team still would've been better off.

The more hilarious part is Bowman already f***ed the Oilers once with the Jones contract setting the market for Nurse. Now he's going there to finish the job lmao

The Oilers had their pick of GM candidates this summer, and they decided to go with the guy who traded Panarin for Brandon Saad and covered up a sexual assault?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I cannot take the Oilers seriously. Like, ever. I mean next thing you know they're going to take players no team will want, not even Winnipeg coming from a Jets fan. Even Jesse Pollock will end up being their number one fan. Mark Chipman takes himself seriously at least.

Wonder how long it'll take for McDavid to ask for a trade.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Bowman himself hasn't been wishy washy on this. He acknowledges his failure and owned up to it.

That's great, but it's what any half decent person would do. That said it's also what anyone with no remorse also would do if they have even the slightest sense of good PR.

Put it this way, let's say another ethical quandary pops up for him, not necessarily of the exact same nature, but also a choice between what's right, vs what's good for his team. Years later it comes out that he made the wrong choice again. Would you be absolutely gobsmacked and stunned, or merely disappointed or even unsurprised? IMO, unless it's #1, you can't support this in any way.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Absolute tonedeaf decision!

A fail no matter the outcome:

1. The do not win the cup = fail
2. They win with a bully = fail

Boggles my mind how people can be this ignorant.

My interest in the team just plummeted.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Hate Boston as a rival hockey club, but what a classy organization with classy players. Even Marchand deserves tons of respect for the way he plays. I am sure he does a lot of community outreach too.
They're a team that's easy to hate on the ice but they sure as hell are united with integrity. Anyone remember how fast they had management send Mitchell Miller out the door? That group wouldn't tolerate someone like Stan even looking at their franchise, let alone being a part of it.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
McDavid is the #1 player in the world. He's a legend in the making.

How hard would it be for him to ask ownership to stop hiring creeps? It certainly would be easier than it was for Bergeron.
What if the ownership are creeps and the players are in some weird toxic relationship that they don't see from their point of view?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Bowman didn’t rape anyone my guy.

Could he have done more yes, but he didn’t, he made a mistake a human mistake, for which the NHL punished him for.

Bowman has served his punishment, let’s move forward Beach has forgiven Bowman can’t you and others do the same.

he lead the cover up and did a lot of things in attempt for it not to come public. That is the problem

I hear Edmonton is working the phones to bring in Bill Peters in an advisory roll.

And to have Gary Glitter play live at every game and name Jimmy Saville named as the mascot

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I mean the guy plays an active part in covering up sexual assault, resigns with I'm sure full pay after it comes to light, sits at home for two years texting Sheldon Kennedy, and then just walks into what should be one of the most desirable jobs in hockey? This is the man now blessed with building a team around McDavid?

Nah man. I'm fine with him having a 2nd chance job in hockey, but it should have been chief toilet scrubber for at least a year. Like you displayed gross incompetence the last time you were in this position, seems f***ed up he just get to start in the same one again.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I have to give Edmonton credit. Team has the biggest Cajones in the NHL

They would likely be on year 15+ of missing the playoffs if a lottery ball didn't roll their way to draft #1 for the 4th time in 6 years. This is the sole reason they're relevant.

They take on people and give them 2nd chances and usually succeed. That shows how great their culture is and great of a development team, etc they have. This hoes back to Sather.

How great their culture is :laugh:
That is funny stuff

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
They would likely be on year 15+ of missing the playoffs if a lottery ball didn't roll their way to draft #1 for the 4th time in 6 years. This is the sole reason they're relevant.

Great their culture is :laugh:
That is funny stuff
If should but

That is loser talk

Jeff Jackson is just rocking the NHL. Watch the extension this week..

Then watch one more thing happen right after that.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I still don't understand the logic of hiring Bowman. He's not even good.

At least if you are bringing in Quenneville, you know the guy is a quality coach. Bowman is below-average even if he was squeaky clean but the baggage makes his hiring beyond stupid.

If he's your buddy, give him a lower role in the organization rather than such a high-profile job.

What a PR disaster.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Extremely disappointing. JJ did an amazing job and built so much excitement in the org and city and has now pissed it all away to hire this loser. This will be another Bruins with Chiarelli and Blackhawks with Bowman where we likely win a cup in spite of Bowman and not because of him.
We? You have three favourite teams lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad