Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I, like so many others, am baffled by this hire. However, as a Flames fan, a small part of me is delighted.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
The recommendation letter thing appears to be a misconception. My understanding is that it's been conflated from the internal review letters that were written. There was also at one point an allegation in a lawsuit from one of the students he later abused saying that the Blackhawks provided a positive reference, but I believe that was later amended to only allege that they verified his employment.

HOWEVER, I think the sentiment is correct anyway. Even without a recommendation letter, simply letting him walk away quietly obviously amounts to an implicit reference. Worse than quietly, someone submitted his name to be engraved on the cup and I don't think why or how that happened has been adequately answered. What better reference could you ask for? Stan Bowman and the Blackhawks' actions directly resulted in him having access to minor victims.
The recommendation letter(s) thing came from a lawsuit filed by one of the John Doe victims. The Blackhawks legal team tried to have it dismissed due to lack of evidence. I didn't get much further than that when I looked into it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Did the 16 year old kid who was abused AFTER Aldrich left the Blackhawks forgive Bowman? Bowman knew what he did and knew Aldrich was going to work for a school and still said and did nothing.

"Let's move forward" is a shameful take on this situation.
Bowman didn’t know what he did. Bowman was informed of an allegation of sexual assault. The President of the Team and the HR director gave Aldrich the chance to resign or go thru with the investigation. Bowman didn’t know cause his boss and HR head didn’t do an investigation.

Chevyeldayoff had the exact info Bowman had, he knew Aldrich was getting hired by a high school, so why did he say nothing?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone looked at what Kennedy and Beach's opinion would be here? Bowman has been working with Kennedy and Kennedy has endorsed him.

He also talked with Beach before the hire. They have what is described as a positive relationship with Beach for about a year. Imo we should be interested in what he has to say.

Bowman himself hasn't been wishy washy on this. He acknowledges his failure and owned up to it.

I still don't like the hire but I do think Bowman paid dearly for what he did. Depending on what Beach says about this I think I will be marginally okay with this, after being puzzled and confused (and angry) earlier today

Artemi Panarin

Aug 3, 2021
Ко́ркино
Most of that falls on President McDonagh who said he would handle it. And he handled it by sending it to the HR dept. The HR dept then handled it by giving Aldrich the option to have the claim investigated or for Aldrich to just resign. Aldrich resigned. A fail by McDonagh and the HR dept to let it slide like that, but the other guys in the room that included both Stan Bowman and Kevin Chevydayoff were under the impression that McDonagh and an appropriate HR response would suffice.
You’ve turned into Stan Bowman’s forum attorney :popcorn:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
If you are going to hire a douche bag, you make sure you do it at the end of July when eyeballs are truly off the game of hockey. Edmonton is strong enough to weather this storm, unfortunately.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Was Bowman responsible for Chicago winning the Cup? Yes. But he was also responsible for Chicago's demise and the Hawks are still trying to recover from it.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Most of that falls on President McDonagh who said he would handle it. And he handled it by sending it to the HR dept. The HR dept then handled it by giving Aldrich the option to have the claim investigated or for Aldrich to just resign. Aldrich resigned. A fail by McDonagh and the HR dept to let it slide like that, but the other guys in the room that included both Stan Bowman and Kevin Chevydayoff were under the impression that McDonagh and an appropriate HR response would suffice.
Any time I have any sort of issue that falls outside managing my department logistics, I do the same. Bring it to my boss and Human resources, who are paid to take care of the more uncommon human rights issues, and step back from it. My part is done.

They may or may not tell me how it was resolved, but often don't due to "confidentiality "

Reactions: TheNumber4

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
This also reflects poorly on McDavid, who makes all sorts of personnel decision over there to get whatever coach lets him play all-out offense, and has no problem being surrounded by creeps like Bowman.

As great as Patrice Bergeron was, the guy didn't have half McDavid's notoriety and yet, he had no problem putting his foot down when the Bruins picked up that creep Mitchell Miller.

The Oilers are a top to bottom scumbag organization.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not surprised that a Flames fan is delighted to see a sex offender enabler be employed
Only by the Oilers my friend. Only by the Oilers. An organization thats been a dumpster fire ever since Daryl "Ballerina" Katz became the guy steering the ship. Carry on.

Reactions: Oyletime

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not surprised that a Flames fan is delighted to see a sex offender enabler be employed
It's not the Flames who are employing him. There's a demonstrable pattern of hiring/signing guys like this in Edmonton. Nicholson, Kane, Virtanen, Perry ect.

I couldn't cheer for a team like that personally. I get that things happen in organizations, but it's almost as if they go out of their way to try to acquire every sexual abuser/enabler associated with the league.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This also reflects poorly on McDavid, who makes all sorts of personnel decision over there to get whatever coach lets him play all-out offense, and has no problem being surrounded by creeps like Bowman.
I mean it's already been reported that the players did not have a say in this hiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad