Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
200.gif

The Oilers, dumbess organization in sport.

And he doesn't have his dad, Dale Tallon and Rick Dudley to build things up for him this time.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
With takes like this, I can honestly say I'm not your guy. I'm glad Beach is in a place to be forgiving. That doesn't change the fact that, had the key players in this taken it more seriously and been less selfish, they could have likely prevent it from happening again. They decided to think of the team over a human being, though, and it did happen again.

It's not my place to forgive anyone involved. It is my place to, as a fan, be extremely unhappy about how the NHL handled their punishments. They didn't do enough to stop a predator. They should be banned from the league permanently.
Most of that falls on President McDonagh who said he would handle it. And he handled it by sending it to the HR dept. The HR dept then handled it by giving Aldrich the option to have the claim investigated or for Aldrich to just resign. Aldrich resigned. A fail by McDonagh and the HR dept to let it slide like that, but the other guys in the room that included both Stan Bowman and Kevin Chevydayoff were under the impression that McDonagh and an appropriate HR response would suffice.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Another element that is problematic and that has plagued the Oilers for too long is that Katz go to much into the well of the good old boys club instead of bringing new guys with fresh ideas. It shows even though you are a successful businessman at doing one thing, it doesn't mean you are smart at anything else. Even though this is controversial choice, in the end, Katz goes too often with safe choices. "the guy has won a cup, let's pick him". He has done this back to back three times now with questionable results two times(I still think their cup run was a fluke cause they faced a weak opposition. (And if Holland was so valuable, they would not have let him go ).

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Another element that is problematic and that has plagued the Oilers for too long is that Katz go to much into the well of the good old boys club instead of bringing new guys with fresh ideas. It shows even though you are a successful businessman at doing one thing, it doesn't mean you are smart at anything else. Even though this is controversial choice, in the end, Katz goes too often with safe choices. "the guy has won a cup, let's pick him". He has done this back to back three times now with questionable results two times(I still think their cup run was a fluke cause they faced a weak opposition. (And if Holland was so valuable, they would not have let him go ).

Katz wants to be surrounded by 80’s Oilers, his life long dream to be surrounded by men who did massive bumps on mirrors

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Hate Boston as a rival hockey club, but what a classy organization with classy players. Even Marchand deserves tons of respect for the way he plays. I am sure he does a lot of community outreach too.
I see you've chosen sarcasm as a response.

As a Pens fan, I hate having to look up ways in which Brad Marchand is a good bloke - Brads Brigade is a charity he runs through the Bruins. Also there's this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...-boston-bruins-community-good-deeds-1.5093470

Reactions: Carl Hungus

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Bowman didn’t rape anyone my guy.

Could he have done more yes, but he didn’t, he made a mistake a human mistake, for which the NHL punished him for.

Bowman has served his punishment, let’s move forward Beach has forgiven Bowman can’t you and others do the same.
Did the 16 year old kid who was abused AFTER Aldrich left the Blackhawks forgive Bowman? Bowman knew what he did and knew Aldrich was going to work for a school and still said and did nothing.

"Let's move forward" is a shameful take on this situation.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I think you're not grasping the issue. It's not on any one of us to "forgive" this guy. He's a clown who lucked into some Cups because his father is a legit hockey genius and legend. Even if the situation where he failed to get rid of a known sexual predator hadn't happened, it would be a dubious hire. The fact that the Oilers, of all teams, hired this middle-minded person, who was suspended by the league for abundantly good reason, is just indefensible. Literally dozens of people could do the job of taking the Oilers' summer signings and the team core and winning a Cup. This is plainly wrong and speaks to the deep abiding sickness at the heart of hockey.

My advice to everyone: read the novel Beartown, think about the numerous rape cases going on, think about the victims. Realize that people like Daryl Katz -- himself an accused predator -- make decisions that never ever take that sickness into account, that show no level of learning, no accountability, no respect for human decency. Why should anyone sit back and just say hey it's sports? f*** that. This is appalling. I'm not judging him, he's just a symptom. And the Oilers -- of all teams --- should have known better.
I couldn't have said it better

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
None of the people involved in hiding Kyle Beach and Black Ace 2's sexual assaults (lest we forget that there was a second player who was sexually assaulted by Aldrich) should've been hired. A teenager was raped by Aldrich after he left. This is something you can't ever come back from.

I'm all for forgiving mistakes, but this is not something that's just a "mistake". They prioritized winning no matter the cost, much like the Oilers are apparently doing now. They let two young men suffer for that cost. A teenager was sexually assaulted for that cost.

They're free to not go to prison. That doesn't mean that any of them should be in this capacity ever again because they've proven to everyone that they don't care for the wellbeing of people under them, so long as they help them win.

So, too long, didn't read version? Bowman shouldn't be working anywhere near an NHL team ever again.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
As an Oilers STH I will ensure I tell my account rep how much I hate this move.

If I owned any Oilers merch I would set it on fire.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
it's the other 25% lol

This organization deserves bad things.

It would've been soooo much better to hire a fresh GM to bring in new ideas and build their own legacy than hire a smooth talking, has-been, entitled and spoon-fed his entire life bum

i could maybe get it if he was a good GM back in Chicago but on top of being a shit person, he was almost as shit of a GM

Many seemed to want Hunter (myself included) and some Keith Gretzky. We for the most part knew this was coming but seeing it actually happen is hard to take.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
if anyone has the clout to pull it off with zero repercussions McDavid could eviscerate ownership over this. I'm not blaming him at all or saying he should (because becoming a firebrand like that would be a long term deal and a big distraction) but damn that would be nice. What the hell could they do to him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad