Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Nicole Brown stuff aside, OJ Simpson was a hell of a running back.
Kind of an odd comparison, as Bowman didn't assault Beach personally, nor was he the main person complicit in the cover-up (John McDonough). He was basically following the lead of his boss. There are degrees of culpability at play, as any nuanced and reasonable take can recognize, like there's a reason Bowman and Quenneville aren't in jail.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Odd choice as I thought the interim was being praised for his moves?

Will be interesting to see if they get Bowman who had pretty good first few drafts, etc or the guy who would repeatedly trade away young talent for inexplicable reasons and drafted poorly in 2nd half of his tenure

I also expected it would be Q that would get 2nd chance not Bowman. At least with Q your hiring one of the greatest coaches in NHL history
Mainly because Jeff Jackson is the CEO of hockey operations and didn't want to be a full time GM as well. He's' still going to have a say in a lot of the major decisions, but wanted someone to deal with the day to day stuff the GM's have to do.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Kind of an odd comparison, as Bowman didn't assault Beach personally, nor was he the main person complicit in the cover-up (John McDonough). He was basically following the lead of his boss. There are degrees of culpability at play, as any nuanced and reasonable take can recognize, like there's a reason Bowman and Quenneville aren't in jail.
The comparison is due to the fact that the former can't be handwaved away when discussing the latter.

And I don't really have the stomach to listen to a bunch of people minimizing the role of the individuals involved in covering up the sexual assault of a teenager. But being good at sport ball cleanses all sins so maybe I should expect it.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
i don’t think there’s any possible explanation that makes this an acceptable move

Whether you believe he is reformed or not, his actions were determined by investigators to allow the perpetrator to continue their behaviour.

Bowman should never have been allowed back in the league and the fact that the Oilers did this speaks volumes to their values as an organization.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm all for second chances, but we're talking about someone that played basically the central role in the cover up of sexual abuse that resulted in additional abuse at a school.

Sorry, but you don't walk away from that fresh as a daisy. Some things you just sensibly steer away from.

Hope Edmonton, the organization, not the city or the fans, get pilloried for this.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
i don’t think there’s any possible explanation that makes this an acceptable move

Whether you believe he is reformed or not, his actions were determined by investigators to allow the perpetrator to continue their behaviour.

Bowman should never have been allowed back in the league and the fact that the Oilers did this speaks volumes to their values as an organization.
I'm going to say this -

Edmonton is doing it now and they f***ing suck for doing it. But don't think that if the talent was big enough any other organization in the league wouldn't do the same thing. THAT'S what sucks about all of this. What's shocking is how unsurprising it is, and that Bowman got a job before Q. But it was inevitable.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I don't get it at all. He's not so good a candidate that it could outweigh the absolute PR nightmare that they are about to endure. After the Cups he just ran the Blackhawks into the ground (Panarin trade, anyone?). His Cup teams were in most part Dale Tallon creations. Furthermore, this can't help to attract free agents to sign to a place that is already challenging to attract free agents.

The Oilers were finally looking like they could make some actual progress without stepping on rakes until... boom! Rake to the face.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm going to say this -

Edmonton is doing it now and they f***ing suck for doing it. But don't think that if the talent was big enough any other organization in the league wouldn't do the same thing. THAT'S what sucks about all of this. What's shocking is how unsurprising it is, and that Bowman got a job before Q. But it was inevitable.
100%

I’m just surprised because bowman isn’t that great of a general manager

But any other team in the league would find a way to justify any hire that made their team better

Well, any other team save for Seattle

Reactions: ElysiumAB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad