Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I believe in rehabilitation. But I also believe in consequences. No matter how much personal growth he's had he shouldn't be allowed back into the NHL.

The worst thing to me isn't even that Stan is back in the NHL. He's been parachuted right into an important, highly paid leadership role, overseeing an organization's culture. And he has no integrity whatsoever.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I believe in rehabilitation. But I also believe in consequences. No matter how much personal growth he's had he shouldn't be allowed back into the NHL.
He wasn't a child when that happened, he was a full grown adult. He knew right and wrong.

I am glad to see Oiler fans disgusted by this signing.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Hiring Bowman is disgusting. Because they never reported him when they found out and then never did when they let him go, this was allowed to happen and this blood is on all of their f***ing hands.

In the thread what would make me stop being a fan of my team - hiring a loser like Bowman or any of the others.

That’s a heartbreaking clip and Bowman should wear it every day.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
If he's learned from his mistakes and is a changed man then that's great. But actions (or inactions) still should have consequences. He shouldn't get to jump back into a GM position in this league. This reflects very poorly on Edmonton.
He wasn't allowed to just become a GM of another team. He was suspended from the league.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
So much wrong with this - but from a pure hockey standpoint…. Why? They just got within 1 goal of winning the cup, they had a great offseason up til now, and were looking like a cup favorite for the upcoming season? Even if Bowman had a clean record and even if he WAS a good GM this wouldn’t make sense. But factoring in the PR nightmare, the ethical component, AND the fact that he absolutely sucks as a GM… this looks like one of the single dumbest moves I’ve ever seen a team do.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The guy in my avatar would probably have been a better choice.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
That’s a heartbreaking clip and Bowman should wear it every day.
Bowman and the entire trash organization Chicago Black Hawks. Comical they got the biggest joke of a fine because Bettman is a disgraced loser himself. What they ignored and allowed to happen is criminal and vile and now the Oilers are all like hey cool, let's add him.

Meanwhile teams draft these dirt bags because boys will be boys or some ridiculous explanation to justify sexual assault or toxic behavior that is hidden and not held to a proper accountability or standard at all so these players keep doing it because others tell them - they just wanna tear you down!

It's hard to see that video and not be emotional. If that doesn't make someone emotional and understand why Bowman and his cronies don't deserve a job in sports and the Hawks deserved hasher punishment then they're a big part of the sports culture that enables these types of losers.

He wasn't allowed to just become a GM of another team. He was suspended from the league.
His idiocy along with the entire Hawks organization and the others that were banned - allowed more abuse to happen.

That should be end of story for their careers and the Hawks should have been fined and punished harder, giving up multiple first rounders for at least 5 years.

The fact that the NHL keeps denying CTE, allowing abusers and toxic people into the league via management, draft, etc, shows they really don't understand a damned f***ing thing.

Now the Oilers players are quiet. I respect the Bruins players a f*** ton more for speaking out about Miller while players on the Habs, Vegas, etc seem cool about their loser drafted players. Either they will speak up and this goes the way of Babs and CBJ or they play the he paid his dues bs.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Any publicity is good publicity as they say.

Outrage sells and in the days of social media engagement, good or bad, brings the dollars in. Sports love a good villain and this move puts an already disliked team over the top. Hated teams are usually the ones people engage with the most and taking a look at social media today, this is probably the most engaging story of the summer for the league.

It’s a win win for the league. They get their villain that people will closely follow because they want the team fail and on the other side of the coin, if the Oilers win they just sell it as a story of successful reform. Only thing left to do is for the Oilers to hire Beach in some capacity.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

Outrage sells and in the days of social media engagement, good or bad, brings the dollars in. Sports love a good villain and this move puts an already disliked team over the top. Hated teams are usually the ones people engage with the most and taking a look at social media today, this is probably the most engaging story of the summer for the league.

It’s a win win for the league. They get their villain that people will closely follow because they want the team fail and on the other side of the coin, if the Oilers win they just sell it as a story of successful reform. Only thing left to do is for the Oilers to hire Beach in some capacity.
Of all the awful ways to look at this...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That's a pretty safe assumption. If a GM has a player report a sexual assault to him and he claims to have not known the details then he is either unbelievably incompetent or more likely he's lying. When there's like two people who agree with you and about a hundred on here who don't I'd say it's maybe it's you who isn't seeing things clearly.
And Bowman never admitted that a sexual assault was reported to him. I don't care about 100 on a message board not agreeing with me. I am just going by the facts. Beach should come out and quash Bowman's lie if it's truly a lie.

Oilers wouldn't have hired him guaranteed.

Beach as president of hockey ops should do the trick.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bowman and the entire trash organization Chicago Black Hawks. Comical they got the biggest joke of a fine because Bettman is a disgraced loser himself. What they ignored and allowed to happen is criminal and vile and now the Oilers are all like hey cool, let's add him.

Meanwhile teams draft these dirt bags because boys will be boys or some ridiculous explanation to justify sexual assault or toxic behavior that is hidden and not held to a proper accountability or standard at all so these players keep doing it because others tell them - they just wanna tear you down!

It's hard to see that video and not be emotional. If that doesn't make someone emotional and understand why Bowman and his cronies don't deserve a job in sports and the Hawks deserved hasher punishment then they're a big part of the sports culture that enables these types of losers.

His idiocy along with the entire Hawks organization and the others that were banned - allowed more abuse to happen.

That should be end of story for their careers and the Hawks should have been fined and punished harder, giving up multiple first rounders for at least 5 years.

The fact that the NHL keeps denying CTE, allowing abusers and toxic people into the league via management, draft, etc, shows they really don't understand a damned f***ing thing.

Now the Oilers players are quiet. I respect the Bruins players a f*** ton more for speaking out about Miller while players on the Habs, Vegas, etc seem cool about their loser drafted players. Either they will speak up and this goes the way of Babs and CBJ or they play the he paid his dues bs.
This is the kind of knee jerk response that I was afraid would be all over this thread.

People are entitled to their feelings but most people here railing against Bowman probably couldn't even acurretdly describe the series of events and evidence in a timeline and have a ton of after the factness views.

I'm pretty neutral on the hiring as I don't believe in lifetime bans ect and the NHL reinstated Bowman as well as Q and MacIsaac so teams are free to hire them.

Also Sheldon Kennedy says this in a press statment and if he's okay with it who am I to argue?

Earlier this week, Kennedy — co-founder of the Respect Group, which trains Canadians on their roles and responsibilities to prevent bullying, abuse, harassment and discrimination — released a statement in support of Bowman’s return to the NHL, saying he “would be a valuable asset to an organization.”

“Part of my process was talking to Sheldon, because I knew that he had done a lot of work with Stan over the years,” said Jackson. “He gave a full endorsement of Stan’s work, his commitment, the fact that he’s sure that he learned from his mistakes. That was a big part of the decision for me. We wouldn’t have made this hire without knowing that Stan had done all that work.”

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
This is the kind of knee jerk response that I was afraid would be all over this thread.

People are entitled to their feelings but most people here railing against Bowman probably couldn't even acurretdly describe the series of events and evidence in a timeline and have a ton of after the factness views.

I'm pretty neutral on the hiring as I don't believe in lifetime bans ect and the NHL reinstated Bowman as well as Q and MacIsaac so teams are free to hire them.

Also Sheldon Kennedy says this in a press statment and if he's okay with it who am I to argue?

Weird did Sheldon speak to the 16yr old (at the time) lad that was raped by Aldrich who shouldn't even have been in that position if the Hawks and their cronies reported him to authorities?

None of that means a damned thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad