Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Where exactly would Stan Bowman be working today if his father wasn't a legendary hockey coach?

I'm guessing nowhere near professional hockey. I wouldn't trust him to run a K-Mart let alone a mult-million dollars pro sports franchise. Exhibits poor judgement that should preclude him from any managerial or leadership position that involves direct reports moving forward.

How does a manager with his track record build a positive organizational culture with openness and transparency?

Oilers took two steps back today with this one hire. I guess in an industry built on nepotism and 2nd/3rd/4th chances we shouldn't be surprised.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Wtf are you talking about? If you wanna that damage control statement then go right ahead, I'm not that naive myself but to each their own
I love how you ignored everything past the first sentence of my post. Whether he gave Aldrich a positive review is kind of irrelevant considering they still covered for him.
Simple fact that they didn't want to deal with it during the playoffs says everything. This was right around the time they got the media to make us look like the bad guys. Imagine that coming out after our series? LOL, would have made the whole media look like a bunch of braindead idiots. The media should almost be thanking them /s

Where exactly would Stan Bowman be working today if his father wasn't a legendary hockey coach?

I'm guessing nowhere near professional hockey. I wouldn't trust him to run a K-Mart let alone a mult-million dollars pro sports franchise. Exhibits poor judgement that should preclude him from any managerial or leadership position that involves direct reports moving forward.

How does a manager with his track record build a positive organizational culture with openness and transparency?

Oilers took two steps back today with this one hire. I guess in an industry built on nepotism and 2nd/3rd/4th chances we shouldn't be surprised.
No where, the guy is a nepo baby like half the average nepo players in the league who only have a contract because of who their father is.

Doomhammer

Jul 26, 2019
In the press conference Bowman was asked if he had any contact with John Doe 2. "Anyone negatively impacted, I feel for them and I certainly wish they don’t go through it." - no direct answer.

This was super hard to listen to -

I find it really sad and disgusting he's back in as the GM, and how poorly he answered questions at the conference doesn't give me much faith. Given how Bettman's stance on CTE is years behind NFL's, doesn't surprise me the league is the same when it comes to this crap.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Seriously they hired Bowman lol? He's an average GM who comes with enough baggage to fill an airplane. Why would they do this?

It's also a terrible move from a PR perspective and morally speaking, obviously

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

To answer your first question, I'd volunteer the field of lawmaking

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
… and Jeff Jackson has gone “private”…

IMG_0032.png

I think he’ll regret this move, if he isn’t already.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
All the Beach stuff aside - Stan Bowman is just a terrible GM. Like Jim Benning/Ken Holland bad.

Such a weird hire. I'd be furious if my organization hired him. Embarrassed even.
one can only hope to be as "bad" as Kenny Holland, bulding a team 2 goals away from the Cup

What a f***ing joke!

This just might turn me off of the Oilers after all my decades of being a fan. Turned a blind eye to some other questionable reclamation projects.

This one is different.

I am embarrassed.
good thing HF didn't exist when the Oilers signed MacT in the 80s...

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
Young players got raped under his watch and he sent the roster into the dark ages. Good god Edmonton why.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
According to the report they didn’t give an actual recommendation to Aldrich but they didn’t do anything about a sexual assault that was reported to them either.

Houghton High School reported to us that they identified no records reflecting a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks. The head hockey coach at Houghton High School told us that Aldrich did not formally apply for volunteer hockey coaching positions in 2010 and 2012. The head coach explained that Aldrich’s uncle, who was the assistant coach in 2010, had told the head coach that Aldrich was not working and asked if the team could help Aldrich. In 2012, the team re-hired Aldrich as a volunteer based on his work as a volunteer in 2010. The head coach said that he did not contact the Blackhawks about Aldrich at any time.

After the police contacted them about the high student being assaulted by Aldrich, the Blackhawks told them they would cooperate with authorities if “served with a subpoena”.

Priorities 1. Covering your own ass 2. Nothing else

Stan Bowman’s Leadership at work.

In September 2013, the Director of Human Resources was contacted by the Houghton, Michigan Police Department. A detective stated that the police were investigating Aldrich because Aldrich was suspected in a criminal sexual assault. The Director of Human Resources recalled the detective telling her that the police heard that there were “hang ups” with males affiliated with the Blackhawks. The Director of Human Resources recalled telling the Houghton detective that Aldrich had resigned, but that she could not provide more details over the phone. The Director of Human Resources further recalled that she told the detective that, if served with a subpoena, she would cooperate. The Director of Human Resources stated that she did not recall hearing from the detective again.

In October 2013, Aldrich was arrested and charged in Houghton, Michigan with third and fourth degree criminal sexual conduct involving a minor. In December 2013, Aldrich pled guilty to fourth degree criminal sexual conduct involving a minor. In 2014, Aldrich was sentenced to serve nine months in jail and five years of probation.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think the oilers went after bowman because of the famous bowman family ruthlessness. they want that same unsentimental win at all costs attitude the hawks brought to winning those cups and they want someone at the top who sets that tone in place of a perceived softy like holland. they hope stan can channel scotty.

ironically, that faustian attitude the oilers are seeking is exactly what contributed to the hawks mishandling the aldrich/beach situation so badly. the hawks were only worried about protecting the team and getting rid of trouble and distraction as surgically as they could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad