Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
If McDavid or Drai ever wanted to ask for a trade now would be the time to do it and they probably wouldn't even face any backlash for it. I know I would respect them or any player on the Oilers if they were to do it.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I can't speak about the Beach incident because I haven't studied all the specific details about it and Bowman was not charged with any crimes but it sounds like Bowman did really good work with Sheldon Kennedy's Respect Group and even he endorses Stan Bowman, so I will respect Sheldon Kennedy's opinion far more then random people online. Also people are allowed to learn from their mistakes.

Whether he has been or is a good GM is another question.
Cool, he should learn from his mistakes and go work somewhere else

Working in the nhl should be a privilege that people who covered up SA should not have

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
There's literally no "going to your happy place" with this one....

iu

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Brutal for all hockey fans especially oilers fans.
Not really. I'd much rather my team chased cups over holier than thou moral victories.

If I were an Oilers fan my issue would he his GM performance history. He has the cups sure, but all he had to do was not f*** up what Tallon originally built
Yeah I don't understand the decision from a hockey basis either. If we're chasing a guy of Tulsky's calibre I would understand the risk/reward aspect and have a big more respect for the decision. This was a decision with little upside and terrible optics.

Reactions: Viqsi

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Mainly because Jeff Jackson is the CEO of hockey operations and didn't want to be a full time GM as well. He's' still going to have a say in a lot of the major decisions, but wanted someone to deal with the day to day stuff the GM's have to do.
Then why isnt he hiring some basic staffer who was under Holland?

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
How quickly do McDavid and Draisaitl follow them out the door?
I've always been curious how the average hockey player views that entire situation. You damn well know that someone like Bergeron, if in a similar situation, would be on the phone with his agent. I don't see that type of person in McDavid and I really want Connor and Drai to surprise me.

Reactions: Szechwan

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Even if you ignore the ethical concerns I don't understand how any franchise in Edmonton's position, with franchise altering contract extensions looming, could look at Stan Bowman and think "yea that's the guy we want taking care of it."

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I've always been curious how the average hockey player views that entire situation. You damn well know that someone like Bergeron, if in a similar situation, would be on the phone with his agent. I don't see that type of person in McDavid and I really want Connor and Drai to surprise me.
It would certainly be an ultimatum from me. Either you walk this back and apologize to the hockey community, or I'm outta here at the end of my contract and don't expect me to waive any clauses for a possible trade to recoup assets.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It would certainly be an ultimatum from me. Either you walk this back and apologize to the hockey community, or I'm outta here at the end of my contract and don't expect me to waive any clauses for a possible trade to recoup assets.
I want you as my friend.

Reactions: BLNY

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Doubt it. McDavid knew who they were lookin to hire. Teams dont make changes to coaches, GMs, etc, without getting the thoughts of their superstar players.
I've been saying this. Jackson asked McDrai if they're okay with it before following through

Reactions: Zirakzigil

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Doubt it. McDavid knew who they were lookin to hire. Teams dont make changes to coaches, GMs, etc, without getting the thoughts of their superstar players.
I think you give management too much credit. They're not that bright. Exhibit 1 million would be this hire.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
While this is a scummy move from the Oilers. It's even more scummy from the NHL for ever letting Stan Bowman back in the league.
Still, if you have the choice, why would you even, EVER, consider doing this? Oilers taking all the blame on this one and the fans are the ones who suffer. Wtf.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Panarin, Danault, Daley, Hjalmarsson, Toews and Kane contracts, Jones trade and contract.

Am I missing any other bangers?

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
I'd bet money that Mcdrai had a chance to speak to Bowman before the official decision.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad