Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Obviously you should not and cannot put aside the person that is Stan Bowman. But even if you do... he's not even a good GM. What a train wreck of a decision.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Obvious, obvious, obvious issues aside, Bowman is a guy that had a window of elite relevancy but the rest of the league caught up and surpassed him a long time ago.

If he had no dirt on his resume, okay, sure... I could see some organizarion hiring him. But it's almost akin to hiring Billy Beane in 2025 in baseball. Okay, neat... but nothing special there.

Bluntly stated, Bowman's genius was in cap crunching as much as possible, and most of those skillsets have been outlawed or caught up to. Big whoop.

But with his dirt? Woof, that's a rough hire.

Reactions: Voight

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I have been an Oilers fan since I lived in Edmonton in the late 70s/early 80s. I have cheered on this team through thick and thin and given the team the benefit of the doubt for their staffing and player decisions over the course of decades. This is probably the first time in over years that I am embarrassed for this organization and ashamed of my team.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Absolutely f***ing sickening, I can’t imagine any Oilers fan defending this, luckily, I have not seen any defend it
As an Oiler fan, I haven't seen one post defending it. When the idea of signing bowman initially came up, everyone Oiler fan was screaming no. We were pretty united about it. Jackson just pulled the rug out from under us. So much goodwill thrown out the window.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
iu

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The NHL knows there's no better way of resuscitating Bowman's reputation than having McDavid drag "his" team to a cup.

Who wants to guess if job opportunity factored into the timing of his reinstatement? No way Gary lets him come back to work for a bad team. The press would be awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Absolutely f***ing sickening, I can’t imagine any Oilers fan defending this, luckily, I have not seen any defend it
Extremely disappointing. JJ did an amazing job and built so much excitement in the org and city and has now pissed it all away to hire this loser. This will be another Bruins with Chiarelli and Blackhawks with Bowman where we likely win a cup in spite of Bowman and not because of him.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I can't speak about the Beach incident because I haven't studied all the specific details about it and Bowman was not charged with any crimes but it sounds like Bowman did really good work with Sheldon Kennedy's Respect Group and even he endorses Stan Bowman, so I will respect Sheldon Kennedy's opinion far more then random people online.

Whether he has been or is a good GM is another issue.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Any idea why Jackson didn’t want the Gm tag?
probably because he wants to be McDavid's agent again when he signs his next deal (20M x 8) and live happily ever after off the commission.

Bowman gets the blame for giving McD that much money. JJ gets the EZ money

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad