Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Don't blame Broberg for taking that contract.

But you would think Holloway would have made a bet on himself and attempted to crack the top 6 here to lock up much higher $$ if he performs.

Reactions: Sanchez

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Pretty bad position we ended up in. We shouldn’t have been in that situation in the first place. Hopefully we learned our lesson to prioritize our young players (or lackthereof at this point). I thought that management did a decent job of trying to fill the holes left by Holloway and Broberg so kudos to them. As for Holloway, Broberg and the Blues…I hope they waste away in mediocrity for years to come :nod:

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
It’s absolutely painful to have substantial youth/prospects in the pool.

Avoiding this situation all together would have been preferable but overpaying both these players by over double wouldn’t have been the answer either.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
sure they do, why do you think St. Louis signed him? he's got all the tools and only 23
Known to the organization is a bogus value added.

Means more to the fans. They have a recency bias about Broberg because he played solid in the playoffs. Which is fair. They also have a bias against Emberson because they didn’t know who he was a week ago, doesn’t mean he is a worse player because of ignorance. The Oilers knew who he was.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Pretty bad position we ended up in. We shouldn’t have been in that situation in the first place. Hopefully we learned our lesson to prioritize our young players (or lackthereof at this point). I thought that management did a decent job of trying to fill the holes left by Holloway and Broberg so kudos to them. As for Holloway, Broberg and the Blues…I hope they waste away in mediocrity for years to come :nod:
Any halfway competent management would've already known this.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Known to the organization is a bogus value added.

Means more to the fans. They have a recency bias about Broberg because he played solid in the playoffs. Which is fair. They also have a bias against Emberson because they didn’t know who he was a week ago, doesn’t mean he is a worse player because of ignorance. The Oilers knew who he was.
If Emberson is on Broberg's level why did the Sharks trade him for Ceci?

Reactions: ottawah

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I'm guessing they have a back up plan. Having our defense start the year without Ceci, Daisy, and Broberg while only adding Emberson would be moronic. Bowman and Jackson must be up to something...

I really hope they do.

My gut tells me they are going to wait until the deadline to do something though

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No it really wouldn't have, they might have had to be in ltir, but they would have been fine.

LTIR means effectively not adding at the deadline. They will have 4.4M at the deadline now if they don’t put Kane on LTIR. With retention including double retention that means they might have effectively 13.2M at the deadline and lots of draft capital to utilize to add plus they can bring Kane back with no other moves required.

Smart move to let them walk for a massive overpay on StL end and get 3 draft picks and a player plus adding Podkast and Emberson.

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
Holloway to Podklozin and Broberg to Emberson are clear downgrades now and especially long term. Now the Oilers do get nearly $5m in cap space by not matching but the Oilers are clearly a worse team as of today if they don't match these offers.

I think this is a bad idea not to match but we'll see how it plays out. Not happy about this, at all.
How do you know that....?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It would. We can't create cap out of thin air.

I'm sure McDavid and Draisaitl would like to get paid more than wiping Broberg's and Holloway's bums.

They chose their own fate by signing those offer sheets. If you disagree that's your privilege.

And you are the only poster who holds Broberg in such high esteem. A one man gang. A lone wolf.
Both McDavid and Draisaitl are very good students of the game who could very well be okay with keeping Broberg just in the cold boardgame logic of maximizing talent

As for the lone wolf thing that is very untrue. Lots of posters want to keep Broberg even at this number. My take on Broberg is not that he is some slam dunk guarantee that he will be a top 4 Dman, much less top pairing. I want us to keep him because he is by far our best chance to develop that player, and that a 2 year deal is not that much of a risk. A team like Utah would take him in a second if we wanted to trade him next summer. But, imo Broberg has a very good chance at being worth more than 4.6 aav very soon, especially after ditching Ceci, which should boost his minutes

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Jimmi, the act is getting a little tired at this point.
We get the jist of it by now. You didn't like the hire, we know.
It's not an act, its what I'm seeing. It's reality. It's just dreadful misuse of the assets and roster for no other reason then negligence.

It's ok to see things for what they are instead of what we would like them to be. The Oilers hired this guy and the expected is already happening.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Glad they didn't match. That made the most sense. Sucks to lose the players, but you gotta cut your losses when they are small.

Now let's see a trade to play with Nurse.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
As I said before earlier last week. I hoped they didn’t match because 6 mill for two players trying to find their footing especially with Mcdavid, draisaitl and Bouchard deals upcoming the next few years would have been foolish. Tough to lose them but that’s the way it goes.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Podkolzin has more experience and more points than Holloway in games played. Emberson played better than Broberg last year, and is a better positional fit now. I disagree it's a downgrade. It might be eventually between Broberg and Emberson, but it isn't right now, and the cap space rules over all.
Holloway is clearly better than Podkolzin, Broberg has far more upside than Emberson IMO.

The Oilers do get cap space but they really limited their long term potential with these moves. Short term might not be that big of a loss but they've shortened their competitive window unless they can find young players with similar level upside to replace these guys.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
LTIR means effectively not adding at the deadline. They will have 4.4M at the deadline now if they don’t put Kane on LTIR. With retention including double retention that means they might have effectively 13.2M at the deadline and lots of draft capital to utilize to add plus they can bring Kane back with no other moves required.

Smart move to let them walk for a massive overpay on StL end and get 3 draft picks and a player plus adding Podkast and Emberson.
It may help this season, but the future just got bleaker

To add "effectively 13.2 at the deadline" you sure as shit are shipping out more young quality pieces. (hello Savoie, O Reilly)

What are we just hoping Free agents will sign here? We have an old roster and will get older after the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad