Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I preferred them not matching. Can't say I'm happy since I'd have wanted to avoid this altogether obviously, but I think these players took their club and team hostage for their own gain.

Obviously hard to hold it against them, especially Broberg, but we want players who want to be Oilers and who believe Edmonton is the best place to be for them to have success.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
If the rumors are true that they offered Broberg 2 years $1.1m/yr and Holloway 3 years $1.05m/yr then they really botched this situation and the players had every right to take the bag. They really thought Holloway would take a 3 year deal at that number? Laughable, if true.
It was Andy Strickland that reported this btw.
How is it laughable? We have a bunch of guys taking less to stay, who are all better than these two. Then you get the two unproven youngsters trying to gouge the team? We are enforcing a culture, which is based around two questions, "do you want to win a cup more than anything? And do you want to play with the best player of this generation on your way to it?"

These guys decided the bag was worth more than their name on the cup. Which is OK, that's their choice. But that's not what we are building here.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Well played by the blues..

Absolutely brutal to have 2 young players stolen from you. Brutal work to get us in that position.

But in the end those 2 players simply weren’t worth anywhere near 6m. Especially on this team.

Reactions: PuckG

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
terrible asset management by the oilers here but it was a tough situation

We need to improve our D one way or the other and I’m not sure broberg right now could have done it. He was looking very promising so it’s unfortunate to lose him.

Holloway is a dime a dozen. He is more easily replaceable. If the reports are true that he’s pissed at his camp and wanted to be an oiler then he shouldn’t have signed that offer sheet in the first place.

It is what it is.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers could have gotten another 2nd if we traded them before the OS. Oh well. We got our guys in Podz and Emberson for cheap and probably thrilled to be Oilers.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Looks official. Oil will not match either Broberg or Hollwood.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Stan is to blame for having to choose between keeping a player or signing him for x3 his worth?
I do blame Stan, he's the GM that did nothing after being hired until utterly forced. I blame JJ too.

If you actually think about it, the Oilers could have had all of Holloway, Broberg, Podkolzin and Emberson if they had been even slightly proactive, but here we are

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
How is it laughable? We have a bunch of guys taking less to stay, who are all better than these two. Then you get the two unproven youngsters trying to gouge the team? We are enforcing a culture, which is based around two questions, "do you want to win a cup more than anything? And do you want to play with the best player of this generation on your way to it?"

These guys decided the bag was worth more than their name on the cup. Which is OK, that's their choice. But that's not what we are building here.
all the guys that took less to stay have made tens of million in their career...easy for them to do

Reactions: tomin

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Is there another RFA dman that we can offer sheet with the picks and space (Kane LTIR too) we have?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I do blame Stan, he's the GM that did nothing after being hired until utterly forced. I blame JJ too.

If you actually think about it, the Oilers could have had all of Holloway, Broberg, Podkolzin and Emberson if they had been even slightly proactive, but here we are
It would have crippled us cap wise, and forced us to trade Kulak too.

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad