Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

Atleast it wasn’t Bowman beef. Or Holland collusion that created this shit situation.

I put most of the blame on Kenny if I had to place blame.

This Armstrong guy is full of it. He's been GM of the Blues since 2013. No offersheets during his tenure as GM.

I blame sleepy Holland as well but wasn't Jeff Jackson his boss this year?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They're not middle pair defensemen on a cup winning team.

I think that people have a confused definition of what qualifies a defensemen as good enough to be on a Cup team. Would you have said Niko Mikkola was a middle pair d man on a cup team before the year started?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Really they were allowed to happen because the CBA allows it. People can “guarantee” that they could have signed both of them for cheap at the start of free agency, but they don’t know that at all. From the sounds of things this was Broberg’s agents plan all
Along.

Yup, this was a player that clearly did not want to be here. His trade requests went unfulfilled, and credit to his agent, he was creative and found him an out as well as an outrageous amount of money.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Where did the "He wouldnt have done this if Holland was still the GM" narrative originate anyway?

I feel like this is from the depth of Stauffer's conspiracy theories as he was having a melt down over how unfair it all was at the time it happened. Don't know if I've ever been so frustrated listening to him, was rambling about how no team has ever been "victim" of two offer sheets (irrelevant), how the team was "targeted" (irrelevant), how they "should have" been more pro active (captain hindsight), capped off with the bread crumbs of hinting at a conspiracy orchestrated by the Blues because Ken Holland isn't the GM anymore.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I feel like this is from the depth of Stauffer's conspiracy theories as he was having a melt down over how unfair it all was at the time it happened. Don't know if I've ever been so frustrated listening to him, was rambling about how no team has ever been "victim" of two offer sheets (irrelevant), how the team was "targeted" (irrelevant), how they "should have" been more pro active (captain hindsight), capped off with the bread crumbs of hinting at a conspiracy orchestrated by the Blues because Ken Holland isn't the GM anymore.
hmmmmmmmm
Stauffer, Gotta take everything he says with a grain of salt. need to remember that he isn't exactly media. he's the Oilers Ron Popeil

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think that people have a confused definition of what qualifies a defensemen as good enough to be on a Cup team. Would you have said Niko Mikkola was a middle pair d man on a cup team before the year started?
Mikkola is 6'5" and played in the NHL for 4 years before joining the Panthers

can't compare him to the green, or small acquisitions the Oilers brought in

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This Armstrong guy is full of it. He's been GM of the Blues since 2013. No offersheets during his tenure as GM.

I blame sleepy Holland as well but wasn't Jeff Jackson his boss this year?
It's on Holland and Jackson. Maybe a little bit of Bowman in that he could have got a whiff of what was going on with Broberg and saw the danger. But still, a new GM coming in and trading someone like Broberg is awkward. It really would have had to have been Jackson.

I actually buy all of what Armstrong said there. This was not personal and he would have done it to us with Holland in charge too. He didn't do it before because the Blues weren't in the position they are in now. He might not have also had a team in the Oilers position before. We did a uniquely awful job of protecting ourselves against offer sheets and were counting on our RFAs to accept whatever we offered just for a chance at a cup

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Where did the "He wouldnt have done this if Holland was still the GM" narrative originate anyway?

Friedman I think. It's probably true too. Even if he thought about it, all he had to do was call Holland up. Broberg would be demanding a trade, and Holland could have tossed his buddy him for a 2nd rounder and maybe a low end prospect, and Blues would have Broberg for 2.5M right now :)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Cause they are good friends and golf buddies. Actually they golfed together recently this summer I thought I heard.

I also think the Kostin / Samo trade was helped along due to their relationship.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
They are really good friends, apparently were out golfing together last week while this was all going down. Let’s just say I don’t believe him when he says that about Holland and his own mother. ;)

For sure. It would be embarrassing for Armstrong to say anything else. But there is no way he does this if his boy Holland was still here.

Reactions: bellagiobob

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Mikkola is 6'5" and played in the NHL for 4 years before joining the Panthers

can't compare him to the green, or small acquisitions the Oilers brought in

I didn't ask how tall he was, or how many years he played in the league. Asked if anyone would have had him as a sure thing middle pair D man on a Cup team prior to this season.

We almost did it with a combination of Ceci, Desharnais, and Broberg rotating through the position this year. One isn't a Top 4 by any definition, one played all of about 30 NHL games before this season, and the other couldn't beat the other two out for a roster position and is the definition of tweener.

Wouldn't have had any of those guys labeled as Top 4 d men on even a SCF Game 7 finalist, but lo and behold it happened, and that was with a platoon of all of them rotating in and playing before they sucked to much and got forced out. The bar for this position isn't incredibly high.

Reactions: nabob

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Atleast it wasn’t Bowman beef. Or Holland collusion that created this shit situation.

I put most of the blame on Kenny if I had to place blame.

I’m sure he’ll totally feel the same way when the shoe is on the other foot. I wonder if we see more rfa’s coming off elc’s with no arb rights refusing to sign an extension now until they have a chance for their agent to call around the league to try and drum up an offer sheet, all it takes is 1/31 to give you some negotiating leverage.

I think it could be a good opportunity for the Oilers though to poach good young players from bad or rebuilding teams who would like to force their way off a team. Make it known that the team will be using offer sheets to poach rfa’s so if your stuck on a rebuilding team and would rather play with mcdavid and Draisaitl on a contender then refuse to sign an extension until July 1 and come talk to us. Oilers structure the deal in the most unpalatable way possible for the current team and then the player signs it and tells his team you can sign me but I don’t want to be here. They likely have the cap space to match but would they want that player back?

What do they do at that point? Over pay a disgruntled player on a short term deal that takes him to ufa or to arb rights with a big QO or let him go and take the comp?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad