Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
How can you look at this dcorp and say "oh this is much better"

Broberg was suppose to replace Ekholm in a few years (now they have nothing). You are putting faith in some American who will most likely walk when given the sliver of a chance.
I don’t think our D is much better. I’m just saying him managing to stick out defensively in a positive way on a terrible team is a good thing not a bad one.

He had a very Ceci like role last year and performed it well. Small sample for sure though.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
That defense is not very good no matter how you look at it. We've already gone the "Just outscore the problems" route. It doesn't work. One injury and this season might be wasted.

JFC.

The overactions to not matching these stupid contracts is embarrassing.

If we were so dependent on Broberg and Holloway going forward then we didn't have f*** all to begin with.

Move on and use the cap more efficiently.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don’t see how. If the Oilers weren’t going to give Broberg $4.58 million a year when they actually had cap space, they weren’t going to do it because they have slightly more cap space.
That is of course assuming that was the only contract he'd sign.
JFC.

The overactions to not matching these stupid contracts is embarrassing.

If we were so dependent on Broberg and Holloway going forward then we didn't have f*** all to begin with.

Move on and use the cap more efficiently.
If the Oilers could do that we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Emberson was basically playing as a 4th Dman for San Jose, the problem is that San Jose was horribly bad last year. He is likely perfectly fine as a 3rd pairing guy truthfully. His underlying numbers are pretty good from what I've seen, especially given the team he played for.

The problem, as it was last year, is the 2nd pairing right side.
Exactly so why are you saying that the Oilers largely downgraded their defense?

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I thought we had turned cormer and were starting to care about developing prospects.

I was wrong. I cant believe we let Broberg walk here.
I was upset for a bit at this mornings news but I’ve since moved into just laughing at the whole debacle of broberg, boldy/zegras and Hollands old school approach to new school players

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Weegar and Rasmus Andersson are the best fit on the Oilers. It's a question if Calgary wants to deal with us or not. Or we need to get a 3rd team involved
We made deals with Sharks and Nucks, we may as well invite the rest of the Pacific division to the party. (Not the cup party though)

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
You do know that Bakersfield was playing Broberg on the right side too.
You dont think that hindered his development at all? I mean why would Holland insist on playing this player on his off side all the way along? I know that the team was weak on the right side but in all honestly I think the Oilers f**ked up with this player in multiple ways.
Now that St Louis has Broberg I doubt very much that they will repeat the same mistakes the Oilers made.
Yes they were playing him on the right side because he wasn't going to be playing over Nurse or Ekholm.

No I don't think that had much to do in terms of development. His biggest issue from the start is he had no hussle in his game. It doesn't matter if you are on the right or left side, if you lose every foot race to the puck. Look at the games he played earlier this season, he was f***in awful. he made Vinny look really good. He was great for like 8ish games in the playoffs but other than that he left much to be desired.

Reactions: M Ace and onetweasy

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
All I will say in regard to the defense is that Emberson and Stecher are a lot better than what most people think.
They're fine but 3rd pair players on a contending team. Also Brown rotating in for tougher road games when they need a crease clearer.

Doesn't mean we don't have a gaping hole at 2RD to start the season. Really don't get the Ceci trade when we don't match on Broberg. Makes zero sense.

And no, Barrie or Schultz don't fill that role either at the current stage of their careers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
To me, this screams some veteran RHD on PTO. The Oilers start with Kane on the LTIR (to accrue cap space) and a contract is signed with a vet is shortly after the season starts.

Schultz, Barrie, etc.
You can't accrue cap space if you are going into LTIR room. Only can accrue when you are under the cap without using any LTIR room. Like we are right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad