Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Stecher was hurt, you say? Hmmm... He doesn't exactly have a history of playing an entire season over the past few years. Only two seasons over 60 games.

View attachment 902129
Yosemite Sam just jumping around and shooting his guns in all directions.

That’s what you remind me of right now.

We agree on the team’s defense not being championship caliber. So you harp on the loss of a player who was massively in over his head on the second pairing and shit all over the additions of two players who had much better underlying numbers than him.

Go outside.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It's not but they did play the entire season and most of the playoffs with...

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Desharnais

I don't think anybody would have tabbed that as a Cup caliber defense going into the season.

I don't think Ceci to Emberson and Desharnais to Stecher is a big loss in the short term. It's losing the growth potential of Broberg that could really sting.
It was a suspect blue line that has been downgraded. It has to be improved

Keep in mind our PK has been hit hard. Our PK is a big reason we got to the SCF

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
The last three post seasons Ceci has been on the chopping block...never thought we might miss him next year

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You mean losing 2 #5 D and replacing them with 2 #5 D drops them that much?

Ceci was playing as our 2nd pairing right shot and is better than Emberson or Stecher. Broberg was going to make Ceci tradable and was going to play the 2nd pairing in his place. They were always going to trade Ceci to clear cap space once they re-signed Stecher and Broberg.

The bottom 6 of our D went from: Nurse/Broberg, Kulak/Stecher to Nurse/Stecher, Kulak/Emberson. That is a downgrade on the right side for both pairings. Our D was already league average-ish, and now its near the bottom.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't think there is a single advances stat number that defines players, some people have tried but the results are always peculiar.

One to consider is Corsi as that is a pretty simple measure. Using Corsi, the Oilers have moved on from their 6th, 7th, and 8th best defensemen from last year. IMO, you should do that almost every year.

One other thing to consider, the overwhelming need on defence is to find a suitable partner for Nurse. I wish someone would deep dive to see who he had success with. It certainly wasn't Ceci and it wasn't going to be an off winged Broberg. We have until the trade deadline to figure that one out.
This makes sense. Which sucks. If only they could move Nurse lol.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
OK so I'm board with the opinion that this is a defense that needs an upgrade.

But you guys think Broberg at 300% of his projected value was the answer here?
No, but to lose both guys for nothing stings.

You could have had Buch for 50 percent retained for last season and this season.

We were potentially a Buch away from lifting the cup.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yosemite Sam just jumping around and shooting his guns in all directions.

That’s what you remind me of right now.

We agree on the team’s defense not being championship caliber. So you harp on the loss of a player who was massively in over his head on the second pairing and shit all over the additions of two players who had much better underlying numbers than him.

Go outside.
I harp on the loss of a few defensemen which leaves our defense looking worse than last year. We better pray that the back end stays healthy this year. Bad enough Nurse is going in the wrong direction.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
OK so I'm board with the opinion that this is a defense that needs an upgrade.

But you guys think Broberg at 300% of his projected value was the answer here?

There is no winning for the Oil from people on this board.

If they match, people dump on them for paying 2 unproven prospects $6.5M+ and how cap strapped we will be.

If they don't match, people dump on them for losing youth and leaving holes in the roster while adding flexibility.

There is literally no situation that leads to a positive reaction on here.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I wasnt a defender of Ceci but I do think that he took the heat for a very undewhelming Darnell Nurse much of the time.
The bottom 4 on this team wasnt particularily good last season (I do like Kulak as a #5 though) and its been downgraded this season.
It has to be improved IMO.
I look at it this way. The Oilers played like 95% of last season with three top 4 Dmen and three bottom pair Dmen and that still holds true today. What I'm hoping for is that Emberson has some growth potential to be better than Ceci, with Ceci we were never going to get a player that is better than he was and we know that Nurse-Ceci was an abomination so I think even with the lack of experience there's more room for growth with this group even without any moves being made. Or Emberson could be a total flop and they're plugging Stecher into the top 4 and Brown in the top 6. Definitely a higher risk, higher reward thing.

I'm ok with the short term, I think they can make due until the deadline but it's the lost upside that really bothers me about letting Broberg go. That's going to be a tough void to fill when Ekholm ages out.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I didnt think the defence was good enough last season either.
One of the contributing factors regarding why they lost IMO.
They were close though because they have the offensive guns and were playing a very tight system.

This is a step backwards though IMO and thats not something I wanted to see at this point in time.

Perhaps I am underestimating Emberson, He might be a better fit with Nurse than Ceci.
I guess I have a hard time believing that Emberson is all of a sudden a top 4 dman.
Kulak isnt and niether is Stecher. Many nights Nurse isnt even a top 4 dman.

So IMO they have work to do.

Emberson was basically playing as a 4th Dman for San Jose, the problem is that San Jose was horribly bad last year. He is likely perfectly fine as a 3rd pairing guy truthfully. His underlying numbers are pretty good from what I've seen, especially given the team he played for.

The problem, as it was last year, is the 2nd pairing right side.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I didnt think the defence was good enough last season either.
One of the contributing factors regarding why they lost IMO.
They were close though because they have the offensive guns and were playing a very tight system.

This is a step backwards though IMO and thats not something I wanted to see at this point in time.

Perhaps I am underestimating Emberson, He might be a better fit with Nurse than Ceci.
I guess I have a hard time believing that Emberson is all of a sudden a top 4 dman.
Kulak isnt and niether is Stecher. Many nights Nurse isnt even a top 4 dman.

So IMO they have work to do.

Being able to add a top 4 D at the deadline will make our D better than any of the past 3 years. Hell even the year before we were the toughest test for Vegas and likely would have pushed it to game 7 if not for Nurse being a moron.

Everyone on here said Ceci was bottom pairing so replacing him with Emberson shouldn't be a huge issue. Broberg was also hot garbage last year except for like 10ish games in the playoffs.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
At this point the entire offseason is a wash. Why spend on those offfensive players if the defense is a gaping hole past the first pair?

Did we not learn this postseason that own zone play is as critical as offense when winning playoff series?

Goalie numbers will also be affected running one guy a pair above his head and two guys at third pair who are #7. Does this affect Skinner?

Odds are the Oil will only be running 1 guy above his pay grade. Not any different from what they did last regular season.

Ekholm and Bouchard are still here, I doubt Emberson is a step down from Vinny, so that leaves Stecher tagging in for Ceci next to Nurse. Something that was a common ask down the stretch last year.

They need an upgrade before the playoffs, but the defence is hardly a tirefire. Especially if Stecher meshes better with Nurse.

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
Where is this player? The guy from San Jose?

Holland's abysmal cap management is a huge factor here. But look at that defense right now and tell me it's good with a straight face.

100% Holland is responsible for the cap mess which was preceded by Chiarelli messing up the cap.

Now we seem to have a guy in JJ who is a bit more responsible. People can't have it both ways. Matching these deals would have 100% f***ed the Oilers cap situation. It sucks to lose them but it feels good to not have the team handcuffed by the cap as much.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The D is really, really bad. It was already maybe league average with Ceci and Broberg, and now it’s likely bottom 5 in the entire league. It's pretty crazy that 10 years into McDavid's career and we still have one of the worst D-cores in the league. Bonkers really.
It was top 5 last year.

So your assertion is that Ceci is the difference between a top 5 and bottom 5 Defensive unit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad