Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm mad that their defense looks like shit. I don't mind trading away Ceci so long as an adequate replacement is brought in.
It’s already here. A couple of them. But that isn’t the problem with the defense. Replacing the guy who should be 6/7 is not the difference between a championship defense and what we have now.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think it just shows how some people here just want to be contrarian and shit on the team. When a GM trades one of their whipping boys they just find a new excuse to rip on it despite wanting the same move to happen for years and being extremely vocal about it.

Our D is definitely worse than last year and that was the case without or without Broberg. Ceci was more than serviceable. Some people just choose blood though and you can’t fix that.

I never liked Ceci to be honest, but he was exactly that "serviceable". We needed to upgrade the right side, even with Ceci on the team. Ceci on the 3rd pairing was fine, it was when he was in the 2nd pairing that it was an issue. Now we have TWO guys on the right side playing above where they should be playing, instead of just one.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I'm mad that their defense looks like shit. I don't mind trading away Ceci so long as an adequate replacement is brought in.
With how aggressive JJ has been I think we can be confident they will be chasing one but it is probably at the deadline where we legit if we run roster as is will have $4.4M of cap accrued to add. That is a pretty decent chunk pre retention. With salary moving we can fit a nice piece

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The D is really, really bad. It was already maybe league average with Ceci and Broberg, and now its likely bottom 5 in the entire league. It's pretty crazy that 10 years into McDavid's career and we still have one of the worst D-cores in the league. Bonkers really.
You mean losing 2 #5 D and replacing them with 2 #5 D drops them that much?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It’s already here. A couple of them. But that isn’t the problem with the defense. Replacing the guy who should be 6/7 is not the difference between a championship defense and what we have now.
Where is this player? The guy from San Jose?

You dump on holland for cap management and now it’s f*** the cap lets just throw a ridiculous amount of money at an unproven player?
Holland's abysmal cap management is a huge factor here. But look at that defense right now and tell me it's good with a straight face.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Give coffee some time to work with and evaluate this defense. He did well enough last year, he deserves a chance to see how this groups works into his system he is doing.

From there the team can look at trying to make a defensive improment where it is needed.

I have no clue how any of the new guys are. Even stecher was always injured so I have no idea what he is like under our system

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not really that far off from what took them to game 7 of the finals. How is it "not even close"?
I didnt think the defence was good enough last season either.
One of the contributing factors regarding why they lost IMO.
They were close though because they have the offensive guns and were playing a very tight system.

This is a step backwards though IMO and thats not something I wanted to see at this point in time.

Perhaps I am underestimating Emberson, He might be a better fit with Nurse than Ceci.
I guess I have a hard time believing that Emberson is all of a sudden a top 4 dman.
Kulak isnt and niether is Stecher. Many nights Nurse isnt even a top 4 dman.

So IMO they have work to do.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I remember these discussions and I’m pretty sure it was almost unanimous he was trending as a bust and the best we could hope for was a 2nd. My how a few postseason games can change how we value our players.
With a player as young as him, all options are on the table. Last playoffs made it seem more like Broberg was trending towards his ceiling rather than his floor. But we don't know what he will finish as

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I didnt think the defence was good enough last season either.
One of the contributing factors regarding why they lost IMO.
They were close though because they have the offensive guns and were playing a very tight system.

This is a step backwards though IMO and thats not something I wanted to see at this point in time.

Perhaps I am underestimating Emberson, He might be a better fit with Nurse than Ceci.
I guess I have a hard time believing that Emberson is all of a sudden a top 4 dman.
Kulak isnt and niether is Stecher. Many nights Nurse isnt even a top 4 dman.

So IMO they have work to do.
Ceci also isn’t a top 4 D, Stecher did fine when playing with nurse last year.

Reactions: nabob

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Everyone knew the cap challenges. It wouldn't have taken much to make everyone fit, but it would have hurt. The team obviously felt the sacrifices weren't worth it.

I don't like that we let Broberg go but it isn't the end of the world. The real GM sin isn't losing these guys for reduced value. It's what they do in the weeks and months to adjust to this. The whole picture is what is important
Yes but if you read this most people just say pod and Emberson vs Holloway Broberg as if that is the whole picture lol. We pre spent the cap on 3 top 6 type players putting us in this situation thinking our guys would sign cheap and we would move Ceci. That was wrong but now these contracts blow us up if we match.

We did the right thing given the cap was already spent.

Now let’s upgrade the D that’s all that matters now

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Where is this player? The guy from San Jose?

Holland's abysmal cap management is a huge factor here. But look at that defense right now and tell me it's good with a straight face.
The guy? Yeah the guy you know nothing about.

Or the guy who would have been playing in Ceci’s spot in the playoffs if he didn’t need ankle surgery.

Being mad that we don’t have a championship defense and linking that to losing Ceci is complete nonsense.

Reactions: grego

Thomas Tatar

I never liked Ceci to be honest, but he was exactly that "serviceable". We needed to upgrade the right side, even with Ceci on the team. Ceci on the 3rd pairing was fine, it was when he was in the 2nd pairing that it was an issue. Now we have TWO guys on the right side playing above where they should be playing, instead of just one.
It may very well be that Ceci is a deadline addition and retained. By all accounts the players loved him and it won’t hurt to have him play bottom pair at 50% retained for the postseason. Sharks are more than likely moving him.

We are just storing him in California until we can afford him.

• Haha
Reactions: OilerMcLord

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If the Oilers don’t match we are a worse team with a trash defence. No way we challenge for a cup with that many bottom pairing dmen.
Good thing the season doesn’t start today. And the playoffs seedings won’t be determined for a long time yet. I don’t get this board sometimes. Whole week of posters like jimmi running around frothing at the mouth and notsogreatkeith unloading the same tiresome little one liners every second page. OMG the sky is falling!

Bowman and Jackson calmly go out and bring in two decent young guys on cheap deals, trade a defenseman that 90% of this board agreed needed to go, AND gave the club some much needed cap flexibility. Yet people still have no faith. There is zero chance that these guys are done dealing. So let’s save the obituaries on the SC dreams for another day eh.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
You dump on holland for cap management and now it’s f*** the cap lets just throw a ridiculous amount of money at an unproven player?
And when said unproven player looks like crap all year and makes 4.5 million he will then say it’s managements fault for that as well. The likely hood of Broberg being dog shit is much higher than him looking like a top 4 dman. Oil made the right choice to ditch the bitch.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That is not even close to a cup caliber defence.
I would expect something to change before the season starts.
It's not but they did play the entire season and most of the playoffs with...

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Desharnais

I don't think anybody would have tabbed that as a Cup caliber defense going into the season.

I don't think Ceci to Emberson and Desharnais to Stecher is a big loss in the short term. It's losing the growth potential of Broberg that could really sting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad