Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
No alternative. Well, actually not so, you see what you can get for Drai RN. I don't like your model, you don't like mine. Younger vs older is better. In 1 yr or 2 years given the proposed contracts we will have a team of plugs as a supporting cast. If you are good with that cool, I am not. Appreciate your stats.
Just to be clear? What is my model? What is yours? Mine as far as I am concerned is simply sign Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard for as little as you can realistically do so. The only thing that may be in play is term on Bouchard. How does your model differ? Is it just the amount we think is realistic?

I am far less pessimistic about the supporting cast by the way. I also think that the team will be younger going forward given the departure of guys like Ryan and Perry, who if replace by say Savoie and Jarventie would see the average age of the team drop by almost two years. .

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdingdong

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
But this is supporting my position that the org is chronically irresponsible in managing its assets. Multiple years running the Oilers have been open to being burned severely by offersheets. Just because the Oilers leave themselves open multiple years running doesn't absolve them. It supports the notion the Oilers HAVE to be better at managing and retaining assets.

One other consideration. Bouchard is one of only TWO Oilers prospects remaining on our roster that was drafted since McDavid. Thats flat out deplorable retention/selection of assets. Could you imagine how brutal this convo would be if Booch didn't turn into a superstar. Thank god for the Oilers and all of us he did. Thank the stars we didn't lose him.
This isn’t unique to the oilers. Since the flat cap virtually every good team has been tight.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
This isn’t unique to the oilers. Since the flat cap virtually every good team has been tight.
The main thing that's unique to the Oilers in this case unfortunately is generally being dogshit at drafting, so losing two mediocre players like this stands out more.

Reactions: Duke74

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The main thing that's unique to the Oilers in this case unfortunately is generally being dogshit at drafting, so losing two mediocre players like this stands out more.
Yeah the drafting took a massive step back under holland. Chiarelli actually had a good thing going for a bit.

Reactions: Duke74

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Just to be clear? What is my model? What is yours? Mine as far as I am concerned is simply sign Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard for as little as you can realistically do so. The only thing that may be in play is term on Bouchard. How does your model differ? Is it just the amount we think is realistic?

I am far less pessimistic about the supporting cast by the way. I also think that the team will be younger going forward given the departure of guys like Ryan and Perry, who if replace by say Savoie and Jarventie would see the average age of the team drop by almost two years. .
Would agree with this, our numbers seem to be different though. Nothing we say will affect the outcome, just want to plead with the Oilers to sign an older McD/Drai to 12-13% of the cap, not 15%. Yep they are the best players but realistically you are buying 2-5 of their prime years on their 8 yr deals. Maybe they sign 5 yr deals but the AAV would be higher of course.

If max $, we better get use to them playing with guys like Rattie and Haas, Cheap players, fringe NHLers like we did before.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Which is wild because regardless of what Seth Jones is now, at the time he was far more well regarded than Darnell.
Plus his other contracts he was low balled. And etc. if the oilers needed him to be on the power play most would probably think nurse is fairly paid.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I keep seeing the term "lowball" but the reality is that RFAs who aren't franchise players especially ones with very little track record and no arb rights get squeezed all the time, McLeod being the most recent Oiler example, and offer sheets are very rare occurrences so I don't know why the Oilers management is getting criticized for not caving to the demands of RFAs who quite frankly didn't have any leverage outside of the threat of an offer sheet unless you thought they should have traded the players before the offer sheets came rolling in.

We'll never know what truly happened behind the scenes but it appears that there's a strong possibility that Broberg's representation caught wind of teams potentially lining up offer sheets and were willing to wait it out until that became an option. Broberg also requested a trade and there were rumors, from Friedman I believe, that he didn't move off that stance so what is JJ and Bowman to do if a player wants to use his OS leverage for a one way ticket out of town. There were also the rumors that Broberg and Holloway's reps were tied together in signing the OS so nothing could be done there either.

I suppose one can make an argument that the Oilers should have matched the OS but I don't think there's much they could have done to prevent this.
Blame the previous regime for $9.25m, $5m for backup goalie turned into dead cap and 3.6m Brown bonus for putting them in this bind and making them vulnerable to predatory offer sheets.
The os did us a favour.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Would agree with this, our numbers seem to be different though. Nothing we say will affect the outcome, just want to plead with the Oilers to sign an older McD/Drai to 12-13% of the cap, not 15%. Yep they are the best players but realistically you are buying 2-5 of their prime years on their 8 yr deals. Maybe they sign 5 yr deals but the AAV would be higher of course.

If max $, we better get use to them playing with guys like Rattie and Haas, Cheap players, fringe NHLers like we did before.
I'd be thrilled if they signed in the 12-13% range. But that is just not happening. Regardless of their ages the contracts signed by MacKinnon and Matthews, even someone like Nylander at $11.5M or Dahlin at $11M killed any hope of that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah the drafting took a massive step back under holland. Chiarelli actually had a good thing going for a bit.

I mean kinda sorta. Puljujarvi over Tkachuk/Sergachev, willingly looking at Barzal/Connor/Chabot/Boeser/etc. and saying "no we're going to go with Griffin Reinhart instead", Tyler Benson over McDavid's linemate DeBrincat, and several others were massive gimmes that turned into epic fails.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I mean kinda sorta. Puljujarvi over Tkachuk/Sergachev, willingly looking at Barzal/Connor/Chabot/Boeser/etc. and saying "no we're going to go with Griffin Reinhart instead", Tyler Benson over McDavid's linemate DeBrincat, and several others were massive gimmes that turned into epic fails.
Still we pumped out a lot of nhl players who weren’t first round picks in his time. Sometimes picking high in the draft can be a curse. Just about everyone takes Jesse in that spot and the Reinhardt thing was a trade not a draft pick. Benson wasn’t necessarily a bad pick either at the time had he not been injured that year he would have gone higher.

At the end of the day not counting first round picks he drafted Jones, Bear Marino, Desharnais, Skinner, Kesselring, McLeod for NHL players in the 4 drafts he ran. That’s damn good by any teams standards.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Still we pumped out a lot of nhl players who weren’t first round picks in his time. Sometimes picking high in the draft can be a curse. Just about everyone takes Jesse in that spot and the Reinhardt thing was a trade not a draft pick. Benson wasn’t necessarily a bad pick either at the time had he not been injured that year he would have gone higher.

At the end of the day not counting first round picks he drafted Jones, Bear Marino, Desharnais, Skinner, Kesselring, McLeod for NHL players in the 4 drafts he ran. That’s damn good by any teams standards.

Add Rodrigue, Samorukov, Kemp, Brind'Amour, Niemelainen to that list as well - guys that have either played in the NHL, or still at least have some degree of NHL potential even if not significant.

12 players that fit that profile outside the 1st round over 4 drafts is really good by any standard. Especially when at least two, but as many as 4 or 5 of those players could be defined as impact players in their roles.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Man you can fault Holloway if you want but Broberg ? Guy might be back in Europe in two years time. He would have to be insane to not sign that deal, it’s lifetime financial security.
I think with Broberg it’s frustration surrounding the fact that he made a trade request that he apparently never rescinded and then on his way out of town he grabbed Holloway to join him.

I blame both but yes Broberg would have been dumb to turn that down.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think with Broberg it’s frustration surrounding the fact that he made a trade request that he apparently never rescinded and then on his way out of town he grabbed Holloway to join him.

I blame both but yes Broberg would have been dumb to turn that down.
I'm frustrated that management weren't pro-active with a top young player they knew was frustrated, hadn't rescinded a trade request, and didn't explore trade opportunities. Misreading a top young asset and a changing market. Then outbid by market prices they ultimately couldn't afford when a passive low ball offer strategy cost them their best young talent for shitty draft picks.

Move off their initial offers along the same timeline as McLeod signed last year and their choice of inactivity might have mitigated at least one player lost.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm frustrated that management weren't pro-active with a top young player they knew was frustrated, hadn't rescinded a trade request, and didn't explore trade opportunities. Misreading a top young asset and a changing market. Then outbid by market prices they ultimately couldn't afford when a passive low ball offer strategy cost them their best young talent for shitty draft picks.

Move off their initial offers along the same timeline as McLeod signed last year and their choice of inactivity might have mitigated at least one player lost.
I’m going to stick with being annoyed at the players.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I’m going to stick with being annoyed at the players.
Why not both as the little kid meme goes...

Friedman reporting the Oilers offered Holloway 1 year at $850,000 or 2 years at $1 million and Broberg at $1.1 million. Then sitting on those low ball offers for a month and a half until the market set a new value that they can't afford.

Meanwhile in Carolina, in what seemed a for sure divorce with one of their unhappy RFA's Necas, was able to find a solution through "lots of talking."

There was a time no one thought he’d return to Wolfpack Country. “I wasn’t sure,” he admitted. “Lots of talking between us and Carolina. It was 50/50. I didn’t have the best season, wasn’t happy. But we turned the page, we figured out a way to stay for two more years. ... I feel like Carolina is my home.

Incredible to think the Oilers management sat back on a damaged relationship and wind up losing both of their NHL pedigree young players for marginal return. Follow their timeline last year with signing McLeod early August and this situation likely turns out very different. Get no movement from the players side on second offers then you can at least pro-actively shop them for a better return than marginal CBA return.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Why not both as the little kid meme goes...

Friedman reporting the Oilers offered Holloway 1 year at $850,000 or 2 years at $1 million and Broberg at $1.1 million. Then sitting on those low ball offers for a month and a half until the market set a new value that they can't afford.

Meanwhile in Carolina, in what seemed a for sure divorce with one of their unhappy RFA's Necas, was able to find a solution through "lots of talking."

There was a time no one thought he’d return to Wolfpack Country. “I wasn’t sure,” he admitted. “Lots of talking between us and Carolina. It was 50/50. I didn’t have the best season, wasn’t happy. But we turned the page, we figured out a way to stay for two more years. ... I feel like Carolina is my home.

Incredible to think the Oilers management sat back on a damaged relationship and wind up losing both of their NHL pedigree young players for marginal return. Follow their timeline last year with signing McLeod early August and this situation likely turns out very different. Get no movement from the players side on second offers then you can at least pro-actively shop them for a better return than marginal CBA return.
Again, you're basing this entire scenario on basically one sentence from Friedman that was likely told to him by Broberg's agent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad