Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Less time with McDavid surely makes a difference.
Now he doesnt have McDavids offence to carry him. He also has to defend more because the other team has possesion more.
It really exposes his poor defensive processing. Impulsive is not a quality that makes for a good defender.

Its also entirely possibel as well that his skating hasnt dropped off (as I suggested earlier) but its his inability to make a proper defensive read quickly enough that makes it appear like he is slower.

I was thinking the same about Nurse. Although it's possible his agility has been broken down a bit by injuries, I feel he used to be far more active in his own end. More able to make up for being lost. Maybe his quest to be "smarter" defensively has moved him more towards indecisiveness. He gets caught a lot more being lost and just watching. Obviously a guy looks slow when he's just standing straight up, or sliding on a knee like a dope, as the play leaves him in the dust and ends up in our net.

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Even if you wanted to pay the assets to move Nurse.

Which you dont.

He has a full NMC.

Hes not getting moved.
Many posters thought that no team would take Ceci without a major add.

Its all about cap space (and a need for Dmen) in terms of finding a team for Nurse.

Agains its just your opinion he wont waive. Nothing more.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Its all about cap space (and a need for Dmen) in terms of finding a team for Nurse.

Why would you think any player with a full NMC would waive to leave a contender?
He'd be going to a bad team, as they have the cap space.

Plus Nurse is best friends with the core members of this team.

Yes it is opinion that he won't waive. But the odds are about 99% that Nurse doesn't even listen to Bowman if its about waiving. If there ever was a player to enforce their NMC, it would be Nurse.

And yes, the cost to move him would be huge, and we'd have to retain a big chunk of his deal. Then the question is do we suffer through the immense cost and dead cap to move him, or do we spend the cap space and resources to upgrade our 2nd pair RD instead?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Are we really comparing a 1 year 3.25 vs a 4 year 9.25 contract?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Why would you think any player with a full NMC would waive to leave a contender?

Yes it is opinion that he won't waive. But the odds are about 99% that Nurse doesn't even listen to Bowman if its about waiving. If there ever was a player to enforce their NMC, it would be Nurse.

And yes, the cost to move him would be huge, and we'd have to retain a big chunk of his deal. Then the question is do we suffer through the immense cost and dead cap to move him, or do we spend the cap space and resources to upgrade our 2nd pair RD instead?
If the GM and coach approaches a player and tells him that they have to move on from his contract so they can sign McDavid, Bouchard and Draisaitl does the player say f**k you Im staying?

Are we really comparing a 1 year 3.25 vs a 4 year 9.25 contract?
Of course I am not saying that.
I am saying there can be a situation whereby a team can take a big contract with some retention.

So IMO its more likely to find a team to take Nurse than it is to find that magical cheap player who can make Nurse better.
That magical player is as close to a unicorn as you can get.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I think looking at all the factors it’s pretty safe to say Nurse isn’t waiving. A lot of things would have to align.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If the GM and coach approaches a player and tells him that they have to move on from his contract so they can sign McDavid, Bouchard and Draisaitl does the player say f**k you Im staying?
Every team who wants to move a NMC player would have a similar sob story. The NMC means that Bowman would just have to find the cash elsewhere.

It would help if there were a good example of this happening to a player and it led to the player waiving. The ones I can think of that moved all had trade lists, not full NMCs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think looking at all the factors it’s pretty safe to say Nurse isn’t waiving. A lot of things would have to align.
Yes a lot of things have to align but yet we have a number of posters that think its more likely to find a unicorn to play with Nurse and not take much cap space.

Every team who wants to move a NMC player would have a similar sob story. The NMC means that Bowman would just have to find the cash elsewhere.

It would help if there were a good example of this happening to a player and it led to the player waiving. The ones I can think of that moved all had trade lists, not full NMCs.
Look...all I am essentailly saying is that finding a way to trade Nurse is more likely than finding the unicorn to play with him.
Thats pretty much it.
If a trade doesnt happen then we shall see what kind of a shit show this defence is when Bouchard and Drai sign their new deals.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yes a lot of things have to align but yet we have a number of posters that think its more likely to find a unicorn to play with Nurse and not take much cap space.

Look...all I am essentailly saying is that finding a way to trade Nurse is more likely than finding the unicorn to play with him.
Thats pretty much it.
It's more likely than the unicorn you're presenting.

Reactions: capazzo

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's more likely than the unicorn you're presenting.
So how many players out there have the ability to elevate Nurses game and yet have a cheap contract?
Your claim is thats more likely than moving Nurse. Good luck.

The most likely outcome....both of us are going to be dissappointed. :nod:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So how many players out there have the ability to elevate Nurses game and yet have a cheap contract?
Your claim is thats more likely than moving Nurse. Good luck.

The most likely outcome....both of us are going to be dissappointed.
I'm not going to be dissappointed.

I've come to realize that hes going to be overpaid, and wont be going anywhere.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Thats pretty much it.
If a trade doesnt happen then we shall see what kind of a shit show this defence is when Bouchard and Drai sign their new deals.
There are examples of players who don't look so good but then something clicks with a different surrounding cast. Also I don't see why it would take a unicorn of a player when the period of time where Nurse hasn't looked good didn't exactly have a lot of partners that we've tried with him. It's mostly been players who had rough reputations themselves. It would make more sense if we gave him an Ekholm type and it didn't work. Then I would be more inclined to say that Nurse just isn't good anymore

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There are examples of players who don't look so good but then something clicks with a different surrounding cast. Also I don't see why it would take a unicorn of a player when the period of time where Nurse hasn't looked good didn't exactly have a lot of partners that we've tried with him. It's mostly been players who had rough reputations themselves. It would make more sense if we gave him an Ekholm type and it didn't work. Then I would be more inclined to say that Nurse just isn't good anymore
Well..since the team started playing with more structure Nurse has not been very good. If it was a case of Nurse doing all the right things and his partner letting him down then I would be on board with you 100%.
Thats just not the case though which is why I dont think the player Nurse needs (an Ekholm light on a cheap contract) exists.

Lets say for a moment that player does exist. How does the team make Nurses contract work next season when Bouchard and Drai get their money?

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020

If Patrik Lainey is wanted by someone, Nurse will be too.
Ps. Nurse is going no where.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Why would the GM actually say that when it is not true. The Oilers can sign all three without moving Nurse. Nurse knows that and so does the GM.

Reactions: capazzo

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bouchard is getting like 4.5M increase, Drai is around 4.5M and maybe McDavid takes the same or 1.5M increase.

So the Oilers need around 11M for their extensions. That can easily be done with James Neal dead cap being over, no Brown bonus, possibly 10M salary cap increase(2 years), Kane coming off the books.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Why would the GM actually say that when it is not true. The Oilers can sign all three without moving Nurse. Nurse knows that and so does the GM.
So the team will potentially have $30M - $35M tied up in 3 players and that doesnt include McDavid.
That could total close to $50M when its all said and done. If the cap stays at $88M thats approaching 60% of the cap on 4 players.
One of which will never come close to outperforming his contract and limits the options on defence because of the cap space taken up.
How is that sustainable?
The team simply cant afford Nurse.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So the team will potentially have $30M - $35M tied up in 3 players and that doesnt include McDavid.
That could total close to $50M when its all said and done.
One of those players will never come close to outperforming his contract and limits the options on defence because of the cap space taken up.
How is that sustainable?
I would worry more about Stuart Skinner extension if he gets one than McDavid, Drai and Bouchard. Stuart's new deal has the potential to be the next Jack Campbell. He's way too average to be worth anything more than 3M

Reactions: guymez

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That could total close to $50M when its all said and done.
One of those players will never come close to outperforming his contract and limits the options on defence because of the cap space taken up.
How is that sustainable?
That's our perspective, not the player's. The player perspective is the only one that matters.

What is the point of a NMC if they will be expected to waive it because the team would rather spend their money elsewhere? The logic you have with Nurse waiving is not special at all in relation to every other NMC player whose team would like to replace

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's our perspective, not the player's. The player perspective is the only one that matters.

What is the point of a NMC if they will be expected to waive it because the team would rather spend their money elsewhere? The logic you have with Nurse waiving is not special at all in relation to every other NMC player whose team would like to replace
Its not a perspective that Nurse will be one of 4 players taking up almost 60% of the total cap space.
Its an impending reality.
The team cant afford to carry dead weight like that.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Neither suggests lack of character. It suggests youth. When 5 time Oiler cup winners like Mess Fuhr, Anderson were snorting Cocaine, driving over people while high, and having a friend die in his swimming pool did they lack character or mature grounding?

Its ridiculous to judge any 20yr old on character. Lest we all be judged.

“Oh, now, now, now, the only now, and above all now, and there is no other now but thou now and now is thy prophet.”

;)
You want to say emotional maturity over character, I think that is a little bit of semantics, but I would concede, but there are many of the young guys who enter the NHL that are much more focused for the task ahead than Seguin and Hall were. Both Hall and Seguin matured and figured it out, but the early issues existed just the same, whether you want to call it character or something else.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Nurse might be over payed but we'll miss him big time when Ekholm starts to decline and we have no LD in the pipeline with top 4 potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad